Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 12:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just wondering: Your last purchase aside from a camere/lens?

dustyporch
398 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 04, 2013 12:06 |  #31

Oh, for once I have a good answer.... I just bought 2 600EX-RT and a ST-E3-RT, which replace my former speedlight setup.

Loving them so far, although now I'm waiting for Canon to release a small-form-factor flash with RT.

My photos on Flickr... (external link)

sponsored links
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 04, 2013 12:14 |  #32

I bought LR5.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Dec 04, 2013 12:35 |  #33

135 Film, before that instant film :D

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 04, 2013 13:13 as a reply to  @ scorpio_e's post |  #34

dustyporch wrote in post #16501116 (external link)
Oh, for once I have a good answer.... I just bought 2 600EX-RT and a ST-E3-RT, which replace my former speedlight setup.

Loving them so far, although now I'm waiting for Canon to release a small-form-factor flash with RT.

I just bought 600EX #3. Great price at $399 each here in Canada.

What size are you looking for Canon to produce?

steelbluesleepr
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 04, 2013 13:43 as a reply to  @ dustyporch's post |  #35

some gels and gaff tape for a video project.

-Jayson- my flickr (external link)
In the bag: 5D mark II+Vello grio/10d+grip/Canon 17-40L/Canon 28-135/Canon 50 1.8/Canon 35-80 Macro Conversion/Vivitar 135 2.8 M42/Vivitar 28 2.5 M42/Yongnuo YN460II x3/Yongnuo RF-602 x3

OneDeep
216 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 04, 2013 13:51 |  #36

Today I got some PVC pipe and some a-clamps for a DIY background stand.

Personal Trainer with random hobbies.

Eastcoast
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Dec 04, 2013 17:12 |  #37

Thinktank Airport International rolling case.

John
Be careful out there!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,023 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 04, 2013 21:26 |  #38

oaktree wrote in post #16498519 (external link)
I started wondering, aside from a camera/lens, what are POTNers buying to satisfy their photo addication (i.e., phodication).

My most recent photo-realted purchases were, well, rather unusual. The four items I most recently bought that were specifically for photography were:
1. Deer urine
2. A "Rattlin' Antler" bag
3. Tennis balls
4. a spool of string

Deer urine - so that if I encountered a buck that was real cooperative, and allowed me to get close, I might soak a cotton swab with doe urine and toss it towards the deer. This would, if successful, get the buck to perform the Flehmen Response, which is an involuntary reaction they do when they smell nearby doe urine, so that they can better scent the air to determine if the doe is in heat or not. My hope was to get a very close-up image of a buck doing the Flehmen Response, a.k.a. "lip curl".

A rattling antler device so that I could try to imitate the sounds of two bucks fighting (clashing antlers), and thereby call a buck in to me.

Tennis balls and string. Many times when I get within close range of a big buck, he is completely disinterested in me, and continues feeding with his head down, looking at does, etc. It can be very difficult to get the buck to turn his head and give me some eye contact for a good photo. I've tried everything - scrunching up a plastic bag, making grunting noises, clapping my hands, etc. They tire of such sounds almost instantly, and nothing seems to work to get them to turn their heads and look at me. So, I thought that if I tied a tennis ball to some string, I could throw the ball, then slowly retrieve it back to me by pulling the string. I thought that if noises fail to get the buck's interest, then having a moving object would do a better job of getting them to look. Probably would have worked, too, except for one thing . . . I cannot focus, compose, and shoot while pulling a string. Should have thought of that before buying the stuff.

My next purchases will probably be foam board (big thick construction stuff), marine plywood, waterproof glue, camouflage material, and aluminum stock (both angle and flat). This will be for constructing a floating blind, so that I can get right in the water with the birds, muskrats, and beavers I plan to photograph in the late winter/early spring.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 04, 2013 21:38 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #39

Red and blue food coloring, and a bottle of Glycerine... for water shots (drops, water and oil, etc.).

Kel
Gear

mathogre
Goldmember
3,626 posts
Gallery: 109 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 04, 2013 22:28 as a reply to  @ 1Tanker's post |  #40

I bought a hot little Michael Kors dress for my 24/7 model. Snakeskin print. :cool:

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 05, 2013 05:02 |  #41

mathogre wrote in post #16502691 (external link)
I bought a hot little Michael Kors dress for my 24/7 model. Snakeskin print. :cool:

Michael Kors, huh? You go all out, don't you? I would go shopping for my 24/7 model, but she doesn't have a body - just a head and a neck!

MJ23FE
495 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 05, 2013 06:35 |  #42

Yesterday afternoon I also ordered a Vello VERCC22 Shutterboss Version II Timer Remote Switch for Canon with 3-Pin Connection. Can't wait to get it! Should be here tomorrow since it ships fr B&H which is only a few miles away from me.
My Lee filter package should be here today!

-Jalal

JZP
5DIII | BG-E11 | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | Σ50A | 135L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8
30D | BG-E2 | 60 Macro | 10-22 | Tamron 17-50 2.8
Kenko Pro 1.4x TC | Lee | Singh-Ray | B+W

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 05, 2013 07:04 |  #43

MJ23FE wrote in post #16503168 (external link)
Yesterday afternoon I also ordered a Vello VERCC22 Shutterboss Version II Timer Remote Switch for Canon with 3-Pin Connection. Can't wait to get it! Should be here tomorrow since it ships fr B&H which is only a few miles away from me.
My Lee filter package should be here today!

-Jalal

Halal, it sounds like your on a spending spree! I can just imagine what will happen if you make the trip into B&H. :)

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 05, 2013 07:17 |  #44

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16502514 (external link)
My most recent photo-realted purchases were, well, rather unusual. The four items I most recently bought that were specifically for photography were:
1. Deer urine
2. A "Rattlin' Antler" bag
3. Tennis balls
4. a spool of string

Deer urine - so that if I encountered a buck that was real cooperative, and allowed me to get close, I might soak a cotton swab with doe urine and toss it towards the deer. This would, if successful, get the buck to perform the Flehmen Response, which is an involuntary reaction they do when they smell nearby doe urine, so that they can better scent the air to determine if the doe is in heat or not. My hope was to get a very close-up image of a buck doing the Flehmen Response, a.k.a. "lip curl".

A rattling antler device so that I could try to imitate the sounds of two bucks fighting (clashing antlers), and thereby call a buck in to me.

Tennis balls and string. Many times when I get within close range of a big buck, he is completely disinterested in me, and continues feeding with his head down, looking at does, etc. It can be very difficult to get the buck to turn his head and give me some eye contact for a good photo. I've tried everything - scrunching up a plastic bag, making grunting noises, clapping my hands, etc. They tire of such sounds almost instantly, and nothing seems to work to get them to turn their heads and look at me. So, I thought that if I tied a tennis ball to some string, I could throw the ball, then slowly retrieve it back to me by pulling the string. I thought that if noises fail to get the buck's interest, then having a moving object would do a better job of getting them to look. Probably would have worked, too, except for one thing . . . I cannot focus, compose, and shoot while pulling a string. Should have thought of that before buying the stuff.

My next purchases will probably be foam board (big thick construction stuff), marine plywood, waterproof glue, camouflage material, and aluminum stock (both angle and flat). This will be for constructing a floating blind, so that I can get right in the water with the birds, muskrats, and beavers I plan to photograph in the late winter/early spring.

Tell me you are not putting Deer pee on yourself. YUK

farmer

MJ23FE
495 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 05, 2013 09:15 |  #45

frugivore wrote in post #16503205 (external link)
Jalal, it sounds like your on a spending spree! I can just imagine what will happen if you make the trip into B&H. :)

I made a correction to your post ;):lol:

B&H is only 9.9 miles from my apartment. It's definitely very easy to spend tons of cash there as you all know. I think I'm done with spending... for now! We'll see how long I can hold out before picking up some more filters.

I figured that with the Big Stopper, I would need a remote timer/shutter in order to get longer exposures that are stopped down especially if I'm shooting in bulb.

We'll see how it all goes! I'm definitely excited to play!

-Jalal

JZP
5DIII | BG-E11 | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | Σ50A | 135L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8
30D | BG-E2 | 60 Macro | 10-22 | Tamron 17-50 2.8
Kenko Pro 1.4x TC | Lee | Singh-Ray | B+W

sponsored links

5,528 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just wondering: Your last purchase aside from a camere/lens?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.