Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 27 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 16:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best photography cargo pants

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 05, 2013 14:32 |  #16

gakoenig wrote in post #16504154 (external link)
I have 3 recommendations, based on what level of crazy nut-job you wanna look like...

:D ...thought the same thing before buying a vest

sponsored links
KeithS
269 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 05, 2013 15:49 |  #17

lance60031x wrote in post #16503954 (external link)
I was looking after this thread was started and was looking for something in-between in price point (WalMart to the $99 ones). Does anyone have experience with the 5.11

http://www.amazon.com …e=UTF8&smid=ATV​PDKIKX0DER (external link)

I bought two pair of these and one pair of shorts. They are quite comfortable and I really like the elastic waste band. Well made and plenty of pockets. I like the zipper front much more than the typical milspec button front. I have plenty of the BDUs left from my 28 years and I like these better, but camo is a little extreme for everyday. And.....I don't give a rat's pitut about what others think about my "crazy-nutjob" style pants.

powaysteve
518 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 05, 2013 15:58 as a reply to  @ KeithS's post |  #18

I wear these from Propper. They are like 5.11 but seem to hold up better. They also have the double knees that will hold knee pants. They were my uniform pants when I was a park ranger and some of them are 7 years old and still in great shape:

http://bdu.com …pper-tactical-pants/olive (external link)

Sometimes you can find closeouts for half price

Lord_Malone
Cream of the Manpanties.....​... Inventor Great POTN Photo Book
7,686 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 23, 2014 15:02 |  #19

gakoenig wrote in post #16504154 (external link)
Coming from military gear design, I am pretty intimately familiar with all the high-end tactical/cargo pants out there. The Rail Riders are pretty good. 5.11s have gone totally to crap in the last few years as they got popular and production volumes ballooned.

I have 3 recommendations, based on what level of crazy nut-job you wanna look:

Crey Precision's Combat Pants are amazingly well built and come in a variety of earth-tone colors. Interesting thing for photographers is the integrated knee protection:

QUOTED IMAGE

I concur. Can't go wrong with Crye. Best I've used... and I've used a lot.

~Spaceships Don't Come Equipped With Rear View Mirrors~
http://www.myspace.com​/chocolate_thai (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 23, 2014 15:28 |  #20

Lord_Malone wrote in post #17113462 (external link)
I concur. Can't go wrong with Crye. Best I've used... and I've used a lot.

Glad to see you dropping in, M'Lud!

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 24, 2014 09:03 |  #21

Of all of these excellent recommendations, I still think the Rail Riders are the least tactical looking and more reasonable for civilian wear, especially the duo-closure pockets and access to the side pockets while sitting via a zipper. Also the 100% quick-dry ny;om construction. I only wish they had internal knee pockets for knee pads, as I find myself kneeling or lying to get a different angle on shots.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 24, 2014 10:51 |  #22

I don't like that elastic waistband though. When wearing a pack, smooth fabric is so much more comfortable than gathered fabric.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

skilsaw
302 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 25, 2014 18:27 |  #23

Anyone out there wear tactical pants with depends underwear?

Aus.Morgo
561 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 25, 2014 21:04 |  #24

I bought 3 pairs of the 5.11 stryke pants for a trip to Africa, basically the only pants I took and they were great.
Very well made and thought out. Very comfy with the pants design.
Pretty much all I wear on the weekend now too :)

Gear List

sponsored links

13,374 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best photography cargo pants
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.