Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 05 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 14:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Last Days of the DSLR

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,932 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Dec 05, 2013 14:20 |  #1

http://gizmodo.com …ys-of-the-dslr-1465327158 (external link)

in a nut shell cameras like the Sony A7 and other mirrorless cameras are going to change the face of cameras and photography and the like of DSLR are going to be history.

I think it's neach market.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 05, 2013 15:08 |  #2

maybe they're right. i'm looking at a mirror less camera, never thought I would because I don't like using the EVF.

Bonbridge
Goldmember
1,265 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 05, 2013 15:29 |  #3

For some reason I don't like the future at all. I am scarred of the future when everyone could create awsome pictures because the cellphone camera's will outperforms a D800.

I like DSLR's. It makes a distinction between photo fans and normal people who don't give a damn how a picture could look like.

5DII + 6D | 16-35/4.0L IS | Σ35/1.4A | 40/2.8 | Σ85/1.4A | 70-200/2.8L IS II
iMac Retina 5k | i7 | 24Gb RAM | 512GB Flash | 4GB M295X

Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 05, 2013 15:29 |  #4

meh, it's just because people had to get a DSLR from the early 2000s til recently in order to take great images but smaller cameras have caught up with their big brothers that most do without em anymore.

Pro's will still be using DSLRs but average people will be moving to mobile, P&S and mirrorless for their photos.

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 05, 2013 15:34 |  #5

for walk around and every day, probably, but when I go out to shoot or work in the studio I need something with weight and size, not a little thing that disappears in my hand. That's why I have a grip on my DSLRs, only comes off for travel. I'd not mind the same tech in just a larger body or some body attachments to make it fit my hands better. I find my G12 too fiddly and small for more than just snapping around.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 05, 2013 15:38 |  #6

You know what this report reminds me of the prospects of 3D HDTV. When initially introduced it was supposed to take away standard HDTV forever. Look at it now I do not see any 3D versions fly off the shelves during Black Friday or any Friday for that matter. On top of that this new 4K HDTV was next to conquer it all. Well unless any of the big broadcast networks spend the $$$$$ to broadcast any 3D or 4K programming I'd say their hope and promise are dead in the water. This will go the same with the mirror less camera. It is a niche item and most consumer will not get rid of their legacy equipment just to replace all of it. Just my 2 cents.

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,472 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 05, 2013 15:48 |  #7

OuttaCtrl wrote in post #16504355 (external link)
You know what this report reminds me of the prospects of 3D HDTV. When initially introduced it was supposed to take away standard HDTV forever. Look at it now I do not see any 3D versions fly off the shelves during Black Friday or any Friday for that matter. On top of that this new 4K HDTV was next to conquer it all. Well unless any of the big broadcast networks spend the $$$$$ to broadcast any 3D or 4K programming I'd say their hope and promise are dead in the water. This will go the same with the mirror less camera. It is a niche item and most consumer will not get rid of their legacy equipment just to replace all of it. Just my 2 cents.

I don't know, I think as mirrorless cameras get better they'll take over the high end point and shoot market, as well as some of the Rebel market. I already see it now. At the last kiddie B-Day party we went to there was one mom with a Rebel, the others were all using various flavors of mirrorless; from Oly Pens, Sony Nexs to Fuji X series cameras.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

MattD
944 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 05, 2013 15:55 |  #8

I don't care.

If a mirrorless cameras get better, more useful than a dslr why would I care. I'll buy whatever is better for my needs.

Flickr (external link).
500PX (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 05, 2013 16:35 |  #9

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16504380 (external link)
I don't know, I think as mirrorless cameras get better they'll take over the high end point and shoot market, as well as some of the Rebel market. I already see it now. At the last kiddie B-Day party we went to there was one mom with a Rebel, the others were all using various flavors of mirrorless; from Oly Pens, Sony Nexs to Fuji X series cameras.

It may eventually will and I am no photo expert nor involved in the industry but time will tell if they do take over in the next decade or so, I would presume.

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 05, 2013 17:17 |  #10

Mirror-less cameras offer easier handling? Last one I had in my hands I ended up holding with my thumb and middle finger because it was so small and the angle of the shutter button made me twist slightly so my third and fourth finger slipped under the camera body to be mostly useless in holding it. (Totally forget what model. Thing was tiny and frankly useless to try and hold comfortably.)

And I really wouldn't want to try using one with a super telephoto lens.

Then there is the battery usage. Went out shooting with a group over the summer. A girl with a small mirror-less camera had her battery die before we were half done, where as I not only loaned one of the batteries from my grip to a shooter who left their charged one at home, but I also made it back after a very long day of shooting with 75% left in the second one.

The days of the cheap point and shoot are very numbered because we have designs that simply function better than they can. The days of a good SLR design aren't about to end any time soon because they still fill roles that other options can't compete in yet.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Mark0159
THREAD ­ STARTER
I say stupid things all the time
12,932 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Dec 05, 2013 17:20 |  #11

OuttaCtrl wrote in post #16504355 (external link)

well these big companies that earn billions of dollars a year want to keep earing of billion dollars and the only way that they see to do that is to make new models better than the last.

it's hard to see really. the market will do what it wants to do. No one can see what the next big thing and the link points to a singler point of view. it may happen or not.

if it the change we could see the likes of sony, fuji bigger players than they are now.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

h14nha
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 05, 2013 17:23 |  #12

From a Canon only perspective it could be the death throes for DSLR's. The SL1/700d/60d/6d/7d/M/5​d3 are all so similar with really no any difference in basic IQ. Only features separate the bodies. Unless you shell out for a 1Dx which by all accounts does it all, then why not use mirror less cameras.
Canon cleverly made people buy 2 bodies, one FF for ISO and a crop for FPS and 'reach'. The Olympus/Fuji/Sony have produced remarkable cameras capable of amazing images. Canon seems to sitting on its backside instead of innovating.
The A7r, I think is going to be a watershed moment in photography. Sony is making exciting steps...............

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,975 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 05, 2013 17:50 |  #13

If mirrorless cameras can get the job done as well or better than DSLRs, then it will be a welcome shift/change. It need not be a bad thing if Canon and Nikon simply retain a adaptible backwards-compatible lens mount, so we can go right on using the lenses we've already got. I suspect it will be a while before mirrorless can meet the needs of action shooters though.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 05, 2013 18:05 as a reply to  @ David Arbogast's post |  #14

Maybe around 7 years ago, i laughed at the idea that desktops are a dying breed, and that portable/mobile will take over. While desktops still have their place, they are a dying breed, except for professionals who rely on them. ie. Workstations, "heavy duty" video/photo creation/manipulation, CAD, 3D rendering, etc. Why wouldn't cameras take a similar course?

Kel
Gear

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Gallery: 2123 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 05, 2013 18:23 |  #15

I just got a fuji x100s and love it, but there's no way I'll be dumping my 7D and 5D3.

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus PenF | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll x 2 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro | 14 -150 | 17mm 1.8 | 9mm BCL | Panasonic 12-32 | 25mm 1.7 | Panasonic Leica 8-18 | Panasonic Leica 100-400 | Godox TT685O speedlite

sponsored links

27,090 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Last Days of the DSLR
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.