Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 18:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Understanding ISO on my 6D

ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 05, 2013 18:23 |  #1

So I was a 100% Av/Tv shooter when I had my T3i. I let the camera do most of the work and I just set those values. One of those things I kept on auto was ISO selection.

Now that I have a camera with no pop up flash, and am working towards being a manual shooter, I notice the camera on AUTO ISO defaults higher that what I expected it to. I am wondering if I should limit it to 800 or 1600? Is this to be expected or am I doing something wrong? I need some tutelage on the matter. I've seen it up around 12000+. I've included some pics I took at different ISO's. I don't know if that helps. Maybe someone can point to some differences here. Any link to a primer etc would help.

Thank you in advance.

ISO 100

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Last Import-1 (external link) by Hurricane Foto (external link), on Flickr

ISO 200

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Last Import-2 (external link) by Hurricane Foto (external link), on Flickr

ISO 400

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Last Import-3 (external link) by Hurricane Foto (external link), on Flickr

ISO 800

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Last Import-4 (external link) by Hurricane Foto (external link), on Flickr

ISO 1600

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Last Import-5 (external link) by Hurricane Foto (external link), on Flickr

ISO 3200

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Last Import-6 (external link) by Hurricane Foto (external link), on Flickr

ISO 6400

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Last Import-7 (external link) by Hurricane Foto (external link), on Flickr

Canon EOS 6D | 24-105mm f/4 IS USM | 85mm f/1.8 | 430EX II | Mefoto Roadtrip | RC6 remote

sponsored links
liquefied
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 05, 2013 18:27 |  #2

The only reason to limit it is if you're getting too much noise. Ideally you always want to use the lowest ISO possible because it will produce the least amount of noise.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,261 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 05, 2013 18:28 |  #3

Go to the thread at https://photography-on-the.net …338929&highligh​t=auto+iso and check my comments, #3 I think.

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,872 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 05, 2013 18:34 |  #4

I have just moved from a 600D (T3i) to a 6D. On my 600D, I set the auto ISO maximum to 800, because that was the point at which i thought noise was too much in most situations. I went over 800 if I needed to.

Some quick testing with the 6D led me to conclude that ISO 6400 is about the same on the 6D as ISO 800 is on the 600D, in terms of noise. I can see a jump in noise when I go over 6400.

So I set the Auto ISO in the 6D to 6400. For general shooting, I let it float on Auto ISO up to 6400.

Cheers, Damien

quadwing
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 05, 2013 18:36 |  #5

liquefied wrote in post #16504740 (external link)
The only reason to limit it is if you're getting too much noise. Ideally you always want to use the lowest ISO possible because it will produce the least amount of noise.

6D? Noise? What?

Camera gear: Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Lights: Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS

tat3406
275 posts
Joined May 2013

Dec 05, 2013 18:39 |  #6

I use manual mode all the time, when I need fast and convenience, I put ISO to auto. The limit I put to ISO12800, the noise still acceptable to me. choose the right metering mode is very important to let camera get more accurate exposure.

6D, 100L,24-70 F4L, 40mm pancake, 70-300L
Carl Zeiss MP 50
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tat3406/ (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Dec 05, 2013 18:56 |  #7

liquefied wrote in post #16504740 (external link)

Not only noise but dynamic range plummets as well.
Digital cameras don't have that much to start off with, especially Canons.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/jpeg'

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

liquefied
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 05, 2013 19:21 |  #8

maverick75 wrote in post #16504813 (external link)
Not only noise but dynamic range plummets as well.
Digital cameras don't have that much to start off with, especially Canons.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/jpeg'

I knew there was something I was forgetting. Two reasons!

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 05, 2013 19:39 |  #9

Dude, just set your Iso too and be done with it. I am an av 70% of the time shooter, but I never have ISO set to auto and always control it. Basically, set your aperture and use the lowest iso that gives you adaquate shutter speed, done deal.

I do find full manual better than tv because I never want the camera picking my aperture, either for dof reasons or lens sweet spot reasons for what I am shooting, so if I need shutter control I just go manual.

By the way, those pics all look almost the same to 3200, 6d is sick with noise.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 05, 2013 20:06 |  #10

Um, you are aware that Av and Tv are auto exposure, too. If you used those on your T3i and set Auto ISO as well... you were using "auto auto". That's sort of overkill and hard to know what's going to happen.

Canon probably designed the 6D to skew higher with Auto ISO, compared to the T3i, because the FF camera is less prone to noise and renders cleaner high ISOs, so they feel safe allowing the camera to take advantage of it.

The best thing you could do is set your own ISOs, shoot tests like you did above and learn how your camera performs at the various levels, decide for yourself what you are willing to use and are happy with.

I don't know what a pop-up, built-in flash (which are generally worthless) has to do with using manual or auto modes, but I'd advise learning how Tv, Av, P and M all work... they each have their uses and you should learn to take advantage of them.

Frankly, I have yet to find a necessay use for Auto ISO. The main reason I won't use it is that it doesn't support Exposure Compensation... i.e. there is no way for me to skew the auto exposure involved to fine tune it for accuracy. With Av, Tv and P you can use Exposure Compensation. Even if and when Canon implements E.C. on Auto ISO, I still don't see many situations where it would be particularly helpful to me. I really feel like I have plenty of flexibility with the other three auto exposure modes and the one manual exposure mode.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 05, 2013 20:27 |  #11

I highly recommend you get this book: http://www.amazon.com …ds=understandin​g+exposure (external link)

or at least check it out from the library.

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,872 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 05, 2013 20:34 |  #12

amfoto1 wrote in post #16504958 (external link)
Canon probably designed the 6D to skew higher with Auto ISO, compared to the T3i, because the FF camera is less prone to noise and renders cleaner high ISOs, so they feel safe allowing the camera to take advantage of it.

Alan, from my experience (i.e. nothing official from Canon), when in Av mode and AutoISO, the camera prioritises lower ISO by lowering shutter speed first. The big difference (relevant to this discussion) between the 600D and the 6D is that the 6D allows you to set a minimum shutter speed, or let it go Auto (when the camera appears, from my limited testing, to keep the shutter speed faster than 1/focal length, before raising ISO).

This is strictly observational, though - I haven't tried any systematic testing.

EDIT: this is, of course, another reason to set the ISO yourself . . .

Cheers, Damien

jkdjedi
341 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 05, 2013 20:40 |  #13

quadwing wrote in post #16504765 (external link)
6D? Noise? What?

Pretty much this ^

http://www.fernandezim​ages.com/ (external link)

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 05, 2013 22:26 |  #14

jkdjedi wrote in post #16505022 (external link)
Pretty much this ^

agreed. I found myself in a situation where all i had was my 24-105 taking pictures in a poorly lit environment for a family function. iso12800 all night :oops: but the pics turned out great.:lol: (by great i mean way better than expected and 100% better than not getting any shots ;) )

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 06, 2013 07:13 |  #15

OP, not sure if your question is relevant to the built-in flash (you mention no built in flash with the 6D), but you probably noticed with your T3i that auto ISO with the built in flash was limited at 400.
So that's one big change, since there is no built-in flash.

The auto ISO in "auto" mode will select a shutter speed (in AV) that will more or less follow the 1/focal length rule (more like a guideline). This will look at your selected aperture, your focal length then selects the lowest acceptable shutter speed for that focal length, then calculates the necessary ISO for good exposure. This works ...most of the time.

But there are factors that can change that.
For example, when shooting static subjects and you have a good stabilization in the lens, you could shoot at a much slower shutter speed and thus a lower ISO, think for example a low light church interior, where your 6D would probably pick a 1/30 shutter speed for your 24mm lens, while you could actually do that at 1/10 easily with a stabilized lens (for example my Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC). So the 6D may pick an ISO of 3200 for instance to go with the aperture and 1/30 ss, while you could shoot the same scene at ISO 800 at longer ss, and still end up with a nice sharp image. I know the 6D is great at high ISOs, but still, even with the 6D, ISO800 is better than ISO3200 :)

The other situation is related to what has been mentioned before, where you need to actually set the minimum shutter speed in the auto ISO menu for a specific situation.

Let's say you're shooting a low light event indoors. You want to shoot f/2.8 for shallow DoF and to lower ISO. You could go manual and use auto ISO, but you'd also like to do +2/3 exposure compensation for your shots. Now, that's impossible to do in M + auto ISO since the 6D will always try to select an ISO that will result in 0 EC (it's possible on Nikons though). But you are determined that you need 2/3 EC to make your shots better looking.
Ok, so you could still use M mode and manually vary the ISO as you shoot. However, sometimes lighting changes fast and you'd maybe end up with improperly exposed images.
You could also do normal AV mode, but when you zoom out to 24mm, the 6D will pick a shutter speed of 1/30 which will result in motion blur when you shoot people moving around etc.
You could use TV mode to set your minimum shutter speed along with auto ISO but then your aperture will go out the window, the camera will vary it.

So that's where shooting in AV mode with auto ISO AND setting "minimum shutter speed" comes into play. I use this method with good success. Basically you tell the 6D you need at least 1/x shutter speed, let's say 1/125 to eliminate occasional motion blur. You can still do EC, +2/3 as you desire. And auto ISO will take care of providing that +2/3. This way you are controlling your aperture, it's ensured that you're not shooting below a desired shutter speed and still don't have to worry about ISO.

Of course I know many people like to go full manual, even setting the ISO manually, I do that too occasionally where I know the circumstances don't change rapidly (like when I'm shooting birds from a fixed location such as a blind).
But for a fast paced event with varying lighting I use the above described method and it works for me.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links

2,212 views & 0 likes for this thread
Understanding ISO on my 6D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.