Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 29 Nov 2013 (Friday) 08:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Neck-strap. No. Hand-strap. No. What else?

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 05, 2013 17:54 |  #46

You really may want to look at the Herringbone wrist strap. Very comfortable, but does take some adjusting to get it 'perfect', but I found that to be true with the E-1 as well. It's real leather, and very comfortable (did I already say that?).

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

sponsored links
I ­ Love ­ Cats
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 05, 2013 18:14 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

KirkS518 wrote in post #16504655 (external link)
You really may want to look at the Herringbone wrist strap. Very comfortable, but does take some adjusting to get it 'perfect', but I found that to be true with the E-1 as well. It's real leather, and very comfortable (did I already say that?).

Checking out the Herringbone. Thanks.

DodgyExposure: Yes, that is my 'perception' of the plastic. I did not test it. PD rates it at capable of catching 50 pounds. I don't doubt that. My point is that it will break, eventually. And there is absolutely no back-up. If that plastic breaks, your camera hits the ground. A redundant piece of something would be comforting. Yes, I know, if they make it fool-proof it will be too big and cumbersome, which defeats the purpose. Maybe I am chasing the wind on this one.

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 05, 2013 18:19 |  #48

I Love Cats wrote in post #16504536 (external link)
My take on the Peak Design Cuff. Useless. Don't waste your money.

This is exactly what I wanted. A strap that would be unobtrusive, yet secure. The strap itself seems to be made out of high-quality seatbelt material. I have no doubt that it is very strong. The weak link is the the almost unbelievably thin piece of plastic the strap hooks to. The buckle that is the connection between the wrist strap and the doohickey that hooks to your camera is not something I would trust $2,000 worth of camera and lens to. Period. It may be high-grade impact-resistant super-plastic. I don't know. What I do know is that I am not going to trust that kind of money to a less that 1/8" of plastic.

I am not a large man. I do not have big hands, or big wrists. I can barely get the wrist strap over my hand. It is tight, painful and contorting to inch it along until it finally goes around my wrist. No way a larger than average man could even get this thing on. It is VERY annoying to put on and take off the wrist strap itself. It is just too small.

I am right handed. I put the strap on the top-right lug of a gripped 60D and a gripped 5D. The strap is so short that I could not get the camera into portrait position. I moved it to the bottom right lug on the grip. Much better. Until I try to disconnect the camera from the strap. Again, the strap is so short that I have to do it completely left handed. I can't get my right hand to the connection because the strap is too short. Clumsy. Awkward.

The advertising states that you can quickly convert it to a bracelet-type thing when not in use. No way. As mentioned, I don't have large hands, or large wrists. The strap is well over 1" too short to wrap around to form a bracelet. I bet most women's wrists would be too large to make this work.

Don't misunderstand me. I wanted to like this thing. When I took it out of the package I thought, "This is IT!" It isn't. Nice try. Close but no banana. I think the Canon E1 handstrap, with all of its limitation is a much better device. I will go back to that.

I think that if you a small-framed person, carrying a P&S camera, this system would work as advertised. For a normal sized man, you'll never even get it on. Hanging 5 pounds of very expensive equipment off of this scares me. I would not even consider it. I would trust it just fine with a P&S, or a bridge-camera like the SX50, if you are small enough to use it. Other than than forget it.

If you want it, PM me. I can't use it.

I really don't think a wrist strap of any kind will suit you. I usually just use a belt clip (I made my own but PeakDesign makes one) and have the leash attached on the bottom in-case i drop it. (The one PD makes is all metal, and will attach to a belt, backpack strap, etc)

As for your plastic concern, if i understand the part that you're talking about correctly, you really don't need to worry about strength. I've had to use my leash to hold my car's bumper on the highway, i forgot about it for several months and it held my car together just fine until i remembered and fixed things properly.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

I ­ Love ­ Cats
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 05, 2013 18:20 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

Looked at the Herringbone. It is a remake of the Canon E1/2, isn't it? I already have an E2 and 2 E1s. Looks like I have to make my own. It crosses my mind that I may be a tad picky.

A big PLUS to Peak Designs: they have a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy. Return the item, get a refund. That sounds easy. If nobody wants it in a day or two, I'll send it back.

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 05, 2013 18:21 |  #50

I Love Cats wrote in post #16504705 (external link)
Checking out the Herringbone. Thanks.

DodgyExposure: Yes, that is my 'perception' of the plastic. I did not test it. PD rates it at capable of catching 50 pounds. I don't doubt that. My point is that it will break, eventually. And there is absolutely no back-up. If that plastic breaks, your camera hits the ground. A redundant piece of something would be comforting. Yes, I know, if they make it fool-proof it will be too big and cumbersome, which defeats the purpose. Maybe I am chasing the wind on this one.

Perhaps, if you are looking for quick release. Every system has a point of weakness somewhere. Maybe you need to get one with a webbing strap to thread through the camera lug - not as quick to put on and off, of course, but probably more secure.

Cheers, Damien

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 05, 2013 18:23 |  #51

Picky is definitely a word i'd apply to you considering this thread.

I've abused the Leash and all of its components, they're quite durable. But no, i won't pay if you manage to somehow break things.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

I ­ Love ­ Cats
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 05, 2013 18:26 |  #52
bannedPermanent ban

Csae wrote in post #16504727 (external link)
Picky is definitely a word i'd apply to you considering this thread.

I've abused the Leash and all of its components, they're quite durable. But no, i won't pay if you manage to somehow break things.

No argument. Though I think if I could get it over my hand more easily, I'd at least try it.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,310 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 05, 2013 18:39 |  #53

I Love Cats wrote in post #16504536 (external link)
My take on the Peak Design Cuff. Useless. Don't waste your money.

This is exactly what I wanted. A strap that would be unobtrusive, yet secure. The strap itself seems to be made out of high-quality seatbelt material. I have no doubt that it is very strong. The weak link is the the almost unbelievably thin piece of plastic the strap hooks to. The buckle that is the connection between the wrist strap and the doohickey that hooks to your camera is not something I would trust $2,000 worth of camera and lens to. Period. It may be high-grade impact-resistant super-plastic. I don't know. What I do know is that I am not going to trust that kind of money to a less that 1/8" of plastic.

I am not a large man. I do not have big hands, or big wrists. I can barely get the wrist strap over my hand. It is tight, painful and contorting to inch it along until it finally goes around my wrist. No way a larger than average man could even get this thing on. It is VERY annoying to put on and take off the wrist strap itself. It is just too small.

I am right handed. I put the strap on the top-right lug of a gripped 60D and a gripped 5D. The strap is so short that I could not get the camera into portrait position. I moved it to the bottom right lug on the grip. Much better. Until I try to disconnect the camera from the strap. Again, the strap is so short that I have to do it completely left handed. I can't get my right hand to the connection because the strap is too short. Clumsy. Awkward.

The advertising states that you can quickly convert it to a bracelet-type thing when not in use. No way. As mentioned, I don't have large hands, or large wrists. The strap is well over 1" too short to wrap around to form a bracelet. I bet most women's wrists would be too large to make this work.

Don't misunderstand me. I wanted to like this thing. When I took it out of the package I thought, "This is IT!" It isn't. Nice try. Close but no banana. I think the Canon E1 handstrap, with all of its limitation is a much better device. I will go back to that.

I think that if you a small-framed person, carrying a P&S camera, this system would work as advertised. For a normal sized man, you'll never even get it on. Hanging 5 pounds of very expensive equipment off of this scares me. I would not even consider it. I would trust it just fine with a P&S, or a bridge-camera like the SX50, if you are small enough to use it. Other than than forget it.

If you want it, PM me. I can't use it.

Man...you are doing something VERY wrong with it from your description. Opened up, fully, the strap is quite large and should be able to go around your average coffee mug with no problem. Can you take a pic of how you have it set up and post it up?

Also, once it's in place and connected, you should easily have 6in or more of strap to play with and be able to connect/disconnect it with the hand that you have the strap connected to...

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Snydremark
19,310 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 05, 2013 18:40 |  #54

Csae wrote in post #16504718 (external link)
As for your plastic concern, if i understand the part that you're talking about correctly, you really don't need to worry about strength. I've had to use my leash to hold my car's bumper on the highway, i forgot about it for several months and it held my car together just fine until i remembered and fixed things properly.

Hahahaha....if you haven't, already, you definitely need to send that anecdote to the PD folks :D

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

I ­ Love ­ Cats
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 05, 2013 23:34 |  #55
bannedPermanent ban

Two shots. Once more and a reply coming.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

I ­ Love ­ Cats
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 05, 2013 23:54 |  #56
bannedPermanent ban

Ok, There are some shots. With the slider tightened against my wrist, I do have about 6" of play. That part of it works fine. With it hooked to the bottom-right grip lug, I can get into landscape or portrait easily. Oh, that shot is a good example of WA perspective distortion, I shot all of these with a P&S, left handed. The lens is about 2" from the strap in the shot showing length, attached. There really is just under 6" from the camera to my wrist.

Big enough to fit over a coffee mug? Not the one I have. If it were 1" longer, it would go over my hand a LOT easier. I suppose it would slip off a lot easier, too. That could be bad.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum. (That really is even funnier than I planned.) Facts. I can get it on. I can handle the camera, the way I want, when it is attached. My wife noticed those two things while I was complaining about the device. She told me, that since I've already paid for it, I should at least give it a try. I think her exact words were: "Why don't you at least TRY the **@&!)@$*&@ thing before you give it away!"

Four hours later, I am just walking around the house with my gripped 5D/28-75 and Peak Designs CUFF. I swear I have never dropped a camera before, EVER. (OK, maybe my Brownie, in 1965.) I dropped my 5D, from just below waist high. The CUFF did what I bought it for. My 5D dropped about 6", then just hung there. I just stared at what should be a broken camera and/or lens. "Ok, Dumb^$$, now what do you think?", I asked myself. I will give the CUFF another chance.

One thing comes to mind about my comments on the 'cheap, thin' plastic. I guess I was imaging the camera dropping 5-6 feet, like from a shooting position, to almost the floor before the strap catches it. Obviously, the strap is only a few inches long. The camera is only going to fall a few inches before being caught by the strap. Less fall, less stress.

I will give the CUFF a proper, in-use field trial. After saving my 5D/28-75, it deserves as much. I still wish it were about 1" longer in the go-over-my-hand part.

HOSTED PHOTO

Snydremark
19,310 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 06, 2013 00:05 |  #57

I Love Cats wrote in post #16505376 (external link)
Two shots. Once more and a reply coming.

WTF, man?! There is something seriously wrong there...I can see why you'd think that was too short/small...

I would send a mail to nfo@peakdesignsltd.com (external link) and ask them about whether they've changed sizes or something; that's around 4 inches or so shorter than it ought to be.

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60553404/Photos/samples/Cuff%20sample-9432.jpg

And you *ought* to be able to get your hand through the loop, practically, open palmed:
IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60553404/Photos/samples/Cuff%20sample-9433.jpg

and, just being cheeky, but: :D
IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60553404/Photos/samples/Cuff%20sample-9434.jpg

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 06, 2013 00:18 |  #58

Snydremark wrote in post #16505431 (external link)
WTF, man?! There is something seriously wrong there...I can see why you'd think that was too short/small...

I'm with Snydremark!!! The strap you got is way smaller then the one I have. If they did in fact change the size of the strap to the smaller one you have then there is no way I'm (A) buying another and (B) ever recommending the cuff again!

I'm REALLY hoping this was just a mis-cut strap that some how found to market and that this wasn't a design change!

I ­ Love ­ Cats
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 06, 2013 00:50 |  #59
bannedPermanent ban

Wow! Thanks for posting the photos, guys. Here is mine. Obviously over 1" shorter. And that is in the loop section, which means it should be over 2" larger in diameter. I will send these shots to PD for evaluation.

HOSTED PHOTO

Snydremark
19,310 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 06, 2013 00:52 |  #60

I Love Cats wrote in post #16505484 (external link)
Wow! Thanks for posting the photos, guys. Here is mine. Obviously over 1" shorter. And that is in the loop section, which means it should be over 2" larger in diameter. I will send these shots to PD for evaluation.

Feel free to copy my shots as comparisons if you want when you send it all along...that's crazy.

sponsored links

15,155 views & 0 likes for this thread
Neck-strap. No. Hand-strap. No. What else?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.