Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 09 Mar 2012 (Friday) 18:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scaling down Lightroom files...

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 11, 2012 01:00 |  #16

tim wrote in post #14065456 (external link)
... ideally in another location.

Big +1 on this. I keep a copy of my backup drive at another safe location many miles away in case of any disasters at home. Having two backups is the best thing to do but keeping them in the same place is not recommended.

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 05, 2013 23:54 |  #17

Great discussion and exactly the advice I needed. I am moving my processing from a PC tower to my MacBook Pro. I just ordered LR5 and plan to install it soon. I plan to load LR5 and my catalog onto the Mac and attached 2-2TB external drives; one for my library the the other as backup for my library. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

tim
Light Bringer
50,962 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 06, 2013 01:02 |  #18

georgebowman wrote in post #16505414 (external link)
Great discussion and exactly the advice I needed. I am moving my processing from a PC tower to my MacBook Pro. I just ordered LR5 and plan to install it soon. I plan to load LR5 and my catalog onto the Mac and attached 2-2TB external drives; one for my library the the other as backup for my library. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

What happens to your images if your house burns down? A catalog is almost irrelevant, but images are priceless.

One benefit of Bridge is XMP files are stored and backed up alongside the RAW. That means all my processing is stored in a tiny file. If you have to restore from backup you have all your edits. LR can save to XMP automatically if you configure it correctly. DNG can store all the processing internally, but then when you do backups the file to backup is much larger.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,458 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 06, 2013 04:53 |  #19

georgebowman wrote in post #16505414 (external link)

When you write "library" do you mean your collection of photo files (Raws, jpgs, tiff/psd) or do you mean the Lightroom catalog database? These are two very different things and both need to be backed up to a secure location, but the working copies of each can be in different places. The catalog should be on your fastest drive, which is usually an internal, and the actual photo files can be on an external. LR5 has a new feature with which Smart Previews can be made and stored together with the catalog. They can be used as surrogates for the photo files when the external is off-line or you are away from home. As Tim said, you can augment the database by having LR create xmps as well, but they do not entirely replace the catalog because they do not contain all the data regarding sorting, tagging and other organizational operations that is in the database.

My own set up is as follows: Raw photo files and tiffs from a second editor used in tandem with LR are on two externals - one sits on my desk and the other is locked away in a steel box in the "panic room". I use two catalogs - one called "Old" refers to photos from 2001 to the end of 2012 and is located on the D partition of my internal and backed up regularly to the first external and periodically to the second external. The second catalog, named "Current" refers to 2013 photos (in three weeks its contents will be moved to "Old" in order to clear the decks for 2014) and it, together with its regular previews and Smart Previews and a Camera Raw Cache folder, is on a 64 GB flash drive. Needless to say, it also is backed up to the externals. My experience has been that LR works very fast with this setup, especially the "Current" catalog.

Elie / אלי

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,803 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 06, 2013 15:38 |  #20

As of now, I have over 4000 photos in my Lightroom catalog, and about 250GB left of storage for photos.

Drives are dirt cheap. Look at Amazon, NewEgg....etc. Move libraries to large drives that are duplicated and automatically backed up.

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 07, 2013 23:09 |  #21

Thanks everyone! Tzalman, I do mean collection of files. I think I'll take your advice and pick up a couple of 2T external drives so I can keep the back up images in a more secure location. Thanks again!

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

sponsored links

2,043 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scaling down Lightroom files...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.