Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 02 Dec 2013 (Monday) 12:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

54MP full frame sensor from Sony

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 03, 2013 13:02 |  #16

Rally Man wrote in post #16498139 (external link)
That's a pretty ignorant comment.

I don't think so. Canon appear to be chasing a different target completely, with high ISO being high on their list. The Nikon D800E on the other hand is using a Sony sensor that is very different.

If Canon want to start competing with the 800E sensor, then their manufacturing plant will need to be completely redesigned and nowhere have I read anything to indicate that they are considering doing so. It would therefore be years before Canon could even think of competing.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links
boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 03, 2013 13:09 |  #17

well canon did file a patent not too long ago for a dual iso readout sensor. that would pretty much make them leapfrog the sony sensor with their current tech if they can get it right.

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 03, 2013 13:18 |  #18

boerewors wrote in post #16498548 (external link)
well canon did file a patent not too long ago for a dual iso readout sensor. that would pretty much make them leapfrog the sony sensor with their current tech if they can get it right.

From what I've read about the 800E sensor, it will need a bit more than dual ISO readout to match it. The design is different at a very minute sensel level.

Richard

DavidWatts
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 03, 2013 18:49 |  #19

boerewors wrote in post #16498548 (external link)

That capability has already been tapped into by Magic Lantern as of about 6 months ago. Amazing what that group can do with current hardware.

My Smugmug site (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 03, 2013 21:00 |  #20

DavidWatts wrote in post #16499407 (external link)
That capability has already been tapped into by Magic Lantern as of about 6 months ago. Amazing what that group can do with current hardware.

Not leapfrogged.

The Magic Lantern software reads alternate lines at different ISOs, giving an image with lower detail and aliasing artifacts. Entirely different from dual/quad readout, and markedly inferior in theory.

EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 06, 2013 07:14 |  #21

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16495545 (external link)
Unless you are willing to lug around 10 pound primes with 15 elements that cost 8 grand each, you may not outresolve the sensor.

Plus in real world you'd want to mount that camera onto a concrete block weighing a few tons to do the resolving capacity any justice.

People keep coming out with this pile of steaming crap, and yet, crops have had such pixel densities for a while now, and I get nicely resolved images even from my overly strong AA filtered 7D. The EF100L and EF-S 10-22 seem to be capable of nice images.

Z...

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 06, 2013 10:11 |  #22

EtherealZee wrote in post #16505838 (external link)
People keep coming out with this pile of steaming crap, and yet, crops have had such pixel densities for a while now, and I get nicely resolved images even from my overly strong AA filtered 7D. The EF100L and EF-S 10-22 seem to be capable of nice images.

Z...

I'm also the first one to suggest that the sensor should be able to outresolve the lens.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Aki78
961 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 06, 2013 10:30 |  #23

Well good...this will force all the full frame cameras to start going down in prices or at least photography with low light and less noise will all become affordable for many.

I'm actually liking where Sony is headed. For many years I was a fan of their products until I lost faith with their never ending proprietary crap and being expensive.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 06, 2013 23:17 |  #24

Aki78 wrote in post #16506312 (external link)
For many years I was a fan of their products until I lost faith with their never ending proprietary crap and being expensive.

I lost interest in their products after that root kit was released that Sony authored. A very stupid move on their part.

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 07, 2013 00:27 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

Ginga wrote in post #16495470 (external link)
http://www.sonyalpharu​mors.com/sr4-54-megapixel-2/ (external link)

Sony made big waves with their full frame mirrorless cameras (the A7 and A7R). And now they have a 54MP full frame sensor coming.

Meanwhile, I wonder what Canon is doing? I mean except white rebels, video stuff and special edition powershots. :)

don't forget the EOS M2, that is released in Japan only and still will have slower AF that every other competitor.

Gear List

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 07, 2013 02:02 |  #26

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #16507981 (external link)
don't forget the EOS M2, that is released in Japan only and still will have slower AF that every other competitor.

But it's white!:eek::lol:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 07, 2013 02:17 |  #27

EtherealZee wrote in post #16505838 (external link)

Z...

People always forgets that MP is the result of the square of the sensor size. While resolving features is a linear measurement. So they don't understand that a large increase in MP - extra so when moving to a larger sensor - doesn't mean a large decrease in height or width of each pixel. What we see, is that sqrt() wasn't well understood in school.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 10, 2013 06:57 as a reply to  @ pwm2's post |  #28

http://www.sonyalpharu​mors.com …r-sensors-coming-in-2015/ (external link)

First "non-bayer" sensors coming.

Say what you want about Sony, but their sensor division is on steroids! :)

Like someone else said, I really don't think Canon will be able to catch up. At least not within the next 5 years.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 10, 2013 09:29 |  #29

Sony is running to take all market share they can while they can - the owners invests what is needed to keep running.

But Canon R&D is quite mean to compete with - if the ignition has been pressed to run on this ball, then Canon can hold its own. C anon isn't behind because they don't have the skill, but because management+owners made a strategig decision. A decision that has made them lots of money - but that will very soon require them to produce some new sensor goodies specifically aimed at the DR issue.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 10, 2013 09:51 |  #30

pwm2 wrote in post #16516074 (external link)
Sony is running to take all market share they can while they can - the owners invests what is needed to keep running.

But Canon R&D is quite mean to compete with - if the ignition has been pressed to run on this ball, then Canon can hold its own. C anon isn't behind because they don't have the skill, but because management+owners made a strategig decision. A decision that has made them lots of money - but that will very soon require them to produce some new sensor goodies specifically aimed at the DR issue.

And I see no evidence that they have grasped that essential matter. They seem oblivious and continue to chase the high ISO path excluding all else.

Richard

sponsored links

10,201 views & 0 likes for this thread
54MP full frame sensor from Sony
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.