Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Nov 2013 (Saturday) 20:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cleaning Sensor Question :(

Clockwork ­ Frog
46 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Nov 28, 2013 12:47 as a reply to  @ post 16486590 |  #46

Sensor cleaning products make lots of money for the manufacturers and sellers of sensor cleaning products. You can either invest a lot of time and money in these products, clean your sensor to within an inch of it's life, take a few shots and discover more spots on the sensor, get frustrated and invest more time and money in sensor cleaning, OR you can accept that sensor spots are an unavoidable part of digital photography, enjoy taking pictures and only deal with these spots when they become a big problem.
One of my brothers works for a large filming/ camera company and prepares movie cameras for major motion pictures. He rarely uses more than a loupe and a blower.

Some cameras. Some lenses.
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 28, 2013 12:57 |  #47

Clockwork Frog wrote in post #16486661 (external link)
Sensor cleaning products make lots of money for the manufacturers and sellers of sensor cleaning products. You can either invest a lot of time and money in these products, clean your sensor to within an inch of it's life, take a few shots and discover more spots on the sensor, get frustrated and invest more time and money in sensor cleaning, OR you can accept that sensor spots are an unavoidable part of digital photography, enjoy taking pictures and only deal with these spots when they become a big problem.
One of my brothers works for a large filming/ camera company and prepares movie cameras for major motion pictures. He rarely uses more than a loupe and a blower.

You're right! It's easy to get too caught up in sensor cleaning... to get too obsessive about it. It's far, far easier to retouch a digital image, than it ever was to clean a negative or retouch a print made from film! A speck of grit on the film plane could make for a scratch the entire length of a roll of film!

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

tat3406
275 posts
Joined May 2013

Nov 29, 2013 00:55 |  #48

When First time I make a stupid mistake, the dust spot is on the left top corner on the picture,I tried hard to clean the left top corner of sensor, actually the dust was on the right bottom.

6D, 100L,24-70 F4L, 40mm pancake, 70-300L
Carl Zeiss MP 50
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tat3406/ (external link)

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 29, 2013 14:30 |  #49

tat3406 wrote in post #16487678 (external link)
When First time I make a stupid mistake, the dust spot is on the left top corner on the picture,I tried hard to clean the left top corner of sensor, actually the dust was on the right bottom.

Yup. Been there, done that!

feedback

gear list

AngryWabbit
110 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 06, 2013 08:23 |  #50

I finally got my Rocket Blower (quietly laughs) as advised.

sorry...

Sadly it didn't remove any spots from the sensor :(

For the people out there that put up with a certain amount of spots on the sensor... How many are we talking roughly?

I find it very annoying now to remove these spots in LR/PS

I seem to have about 50ish? i'd say. Does that seem normal for about a year of use indoor/outdoor... lens swapping etc... and no cleaning previously done.

Canon 6D - Sigma 35mm ART - 50mm f1.4 - 50mm f1.8 - 24-105L 100mm Macro IS F2.8L - Samyang 14mm F2.8 - Optomax 300mm - My Eyes L - 430ex

Snowyman
Goldmember
3,759 posts
Gallery: 274 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 06, 2013 10:17 |  #51

50 is a lot. Did you have that number when you first started wet cleaning?
I suspect that lubricant from the camera or the Eclipse fluid itself is the real problem, and would try another product for the wet clean.

From your first two photos there doesn't seem to be that many and it looks like they migrated from all on the right to all on the left.

Snowy's Gear
Deviant Art (external link)
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 06, 2013 11:48 |  #52

I don't put up with any spots. If I can see it, it needs to be cleaned.

I've really never had the issue yu're describing tho... I can only think you're not swabbing right to the edge and are lifting off before you get to the end. As you get to the end, apply less presume and finish your swipe with the swab basically veritcal so you can pretty much run it off the end of the sensor.

Another thought before you try that though - if these are just fibers from the swab, hold the camera pointing down and give it a sensor clean from the menu - seems to be a stronger clean than the standard on/off one - it will open and close the shutter (or at least it sounds like it), so do it with a body cap on.

I had one large dust blob on my 5D3 sensor when it turned up. the on / off sensor cleaning did nothing for it, but running it from the menu shifted it first time.

I've not had to swab a sensor in a very long time -- I bought an arctic butterfly (fancy sensor brush) about a year ago and that has got everthing off every time for me since I bought it. If I got sme kind of oil smear on there i'd have to swab it, but for dust & fibers, you really don't need a wet clean.

The best thing about the butterfly is you can keep going till you get it right without additional cost :cool:

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 06, 2013 13:18 |  #53

Have I already mentioned the SensorKlear by Lenspen?

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 06, 2013 14:33 |  #54

I bought one but was too nerious to use it - the idea of picking up something sharp and scratchy on it and rubbing round on my sensor from then onwards put me off. In the end I sold it unused.

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

sponsored links

5,578 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cleaning Sensor Question :(
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.