Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Dec 2013 (Friday) 18:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Durable background setup?

CoJM
186 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 06, 2013 18:49 |  #1

Hey everybody! Im looking at investing in a backdrop setup, I have some qualifications that I will list below, I will be using this for portraits and here are said qualifications:

- Must be moveable (weight does not matter)
- Must be extremely stable
- Must be tall enough for a 7' person to stand in front of without issue (taller would be wonderful)
- Would be wonderful if I could not have to worry about the size or weight of my backdrops

Right now I do not have a "real" strobe set but I do have Speedlights with remote triggers and some hot lights that I use. eventually Ill upgrade those, but for right now Im able to use what Ive got. I really want to do this right as I don't want to have to purchase more background stands, ect. ever again. \

So, am I crazy? what do you use? Pictures of your setups would be wonderful too :D

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 06, 2013 18:59 |  #2

What kind of budget are you looking at?

I used this for about a year before moving to a more permanent set-up in my loft: http://www.amazon.com …lli+ABSL+backgr​ound+stand (external link) It held up fine to being assembled and disassembled about twice a week.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

CoJM
THREAD ­ STARTER
186 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 06, 2013 19:02 |  #3

Im willing to spend what it takes, to be realistic however Id like to stay under $400, including a few backdrops and all mounting hardware (<duh)

cisobe
257 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 06, 2013 19:37 |  #4

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16507408 (external link)
What kind of budget are you looking at?

I used this for about a year before moving to a more permanent set-up in my loft: http://www.amazon.com …lli+ABSL+backgr​ound+stand (external link) It held up fine to being assembled and disassembled about twice a week.

I have the smaller 10' version, and it's held up well over the past year or so... Mine came with 10' x 20' muslin in white and black... it's not too thick, but its alright... BHPhoto has some background kits for about $270 that are supposedly heavy duty with 12' high stands.

If I come into some money, and we get a new house with higher ceilings, I'll probably pick up one of those Manfrotto Autopole systems or a wall mounted backdrop system (kinda pricey), but saves some space as you don't have the floor stands taking up space...

5D MKIII|7D w/ Grip|EF-S 10-22MM f/3.5-4.5|EF-S 17-55MM f/2.8 IS|EF 24-105MM f/4L IS|EF 50MM f/1.4|EF 70-200MM f/2.8L IS|85mm f/1.8|35mm f/2 IS|70-300MM f/4-5.6 IS|580EX|Manfrotto 055PROB|2x PCB Einstein 640

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 06, 2013 20:12 |  #5

CoJM wrote in post #16507417 (external link)
Im willing to spend what it takes, to be realistic however Id like to stay under $400, including a few backdrops and all mounting hardware (<duh)

A background stand kit is going to come with what you need to hang a muslin from it, if the muslin has a mounting sleeve to slide the rod through. The one I linked to is fairly stout and should do you well. If you figure that you'll still need muslin clamps and possibly a steamer to get wrinkles out, then add a few hundred for backgrounds. . . . . . . . . .

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 06, 2013 20:18 |  #6

cisobe wrote in post #16507496 (external link)
I have the smaller 10' version, and it's held up well over the past year or so... Mine came with 10' x 20' muslin in white and black... it's not too thick, but its alright... BHPhoto has some background kits for about $270 that are supposedly heavy duty with 12' high stands.

If I come into some money, and we get a new house with higher ceilings, I'll probably pick up one of those Manfrotto Autopole systems or a wall mounted backdrop system (kinda pricey), but saves some space as you don't have the floor stands taking up space...

I went round and round on the Autopole issue, before finally deciding to just get Timber Toppers. Aside from the fact that they're only $40 a pair (plus $12 for 2 2x4s), it's easy to clamp onto a 2x4, or screw mounts strait into them if needed. I use them for my background muslin as well as the back of my shooting table.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i103.photobucke​t.com …/_MG_0299_zps29​4af201.jpg (external link)

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 06, 2013 22:06 |  #7

You have three options.
A) the background stands and bar used for rolls of seamless or muslins as shown.

B) a stretcher frame with fabrics similar to THIS (external link) which I also have. It works great and is easy to setup. Only significant disadvantage is that there is a distinct seam between floor and background. (I have black and white vinyl that I use for the floor covering.)

C) is THIS (external link) which I also have and is a great solution for head shots. Very light and easy to setup.

The three are inversely portable and easy to use compared to the size of the background they provide. that's why I ended up with all three.

C is best for single person head shots or at least less than full length. B works fine for groups of up to about 6, again, best is not full length. A is prefect for full length, catalog type shooting.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links

1,057 views & 0 likes for this thread
Durable background setup?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.