Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 23:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

More portable camera decision...

kur1j
253 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 05, 2013 23:45 |  #1

I am going back to school and would like something more portable than my DSLRs.

Here are the cameras I have investigated with the pros and cons. My main idea on this camera is portability (put it in bag with all my other junk and go to campus), IQ (as close to APS-C+ quality as possible), usability and would like a viewfinder as I am really used to it on DSLR.

Sony a7r
-pros
ff - IQ great
viewfinder

-cons
expensive for what I want (I already have 5dm3 and I'm happy with that system). I don't want to buy into another "system"
portable yes but I would not call this "small" and portable

x100s
-pros
IQ is good (in the realm of what I want)
viewfinder
small and portable

-cons
fairly expensive compared to other ASP-C cameras im comparing

EOS M
-pros
cheap
IQ is good (but not quiet as good as others in my list)
small and portable with 22 f/2

-cons
usability, focusing system is slow (even with new firmware I think it is still pretty slow from my understand compared to x100s or other mirrorless cameras)
no viewfinder

EOS M2
-pros
IQ i assume will be good (comparable)
smaller and more portable than EOS M

-cons
it isn't even out yet (but don't mind waiting a month)
not impressed with feature set. the NX300 looks to give me the same feature right now with better sensor
no viewfinder

NX300
-pros
IQ looks good to better than all other APS-C sensors camera im looking at
small and portable with pancake lenses
good/decent focusing system

-cons
No viewfinder
some people seem to love it some people seems to hate it (on paper it seems to look good to me)

RX100 ii
-pros
good IQ but smallest sensor of the lot
most portable of the group

-cons
no viewfinder
Everyone raves about this camera, have a buddy that has one and to me it just seems awkward
doesn't seem up to par of the x100s, NX300, EOS M

Right now I'm in a circle decision between the x100s, NX300 and EOS M.

x100s has a viewfinder is small and portable and good IQ but is a little on expensive side of $1100+ compared to others.

EOS M has comparable IQ for almost $1000 dollars less. I don't think the viewfinder is worth $1000 to me but the usability of the faster focusing probably would be.

NX300 is almost dead middle of the 3 for price, sensor looks good, IQ looks good, feature set looks nice, usability looks good. Overall it looks to be a decent package but it doesn't have a viewfinder, On top of that it isn't a very "popular" camera which could pose problems if samsung just abandons it.

Right now I'm kinda leaning towards the NX300 with a small pancake but I don't know. Any other suggestions?

sponsored links
kepa
94 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 06, 2013 00:57 |  #2

I just helped my cousin decide on an Olympus E-M5. Very good picture quality for such a small sensor with some very nice primes at affordable prices, cheap zoom lenses, and higher priced/quality zooms (don't forget, you can use Panasonic lenses as well). Not sure of the prices (new or used) where you are, but the E-M5 with the Panasonic-Leica 25mm f1.4 (equivalent to 50mm f1.4) is a great place to start. It's a great lens for the price if bought used.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 06, 2013 01:45 |  #3

A con for the NX300 is that it only charges the battery in the camera through USB. Apparently they don't even offer an external charger. You would have to buy a 2nd battery and charge it, in camera, and take it with you to swap out when the 1st one dies. HUGE misstep on Samsung's part. At least Sony offers an external charger...for an extra charge of course :-/

I'm surprised you didn't mention the XM1 or even the XA1. You'll get no EVF but you'll get access to Fuji's stellar lenses and IQ (XA1 doesn't use Xtrans sensor). The XE1 can be had for $799 now that the XE2 is out ($999).

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

kur1j
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 06, 2013 08:48 |  #4

BrickR wrote in post #16505528 (external link)
A con for the NX300 is that it only charges the battery in the camera through USB. Apparently they don't even offer an external charger. You would have to buy a 2nd battery and charge it, in camera, and take it with you to swap out when the 1st one dies. HUGE misstep on Samsung's part. At least Sony offers an external charger...for an extra charge of course :-/

I'm surprised you didn't mention the XM1 or even the XA1. You'll get no EVF but you'll get access to Fuji's stellar lenses and IQ (XA1 doesn't use Xtrans sensor). The XE1 can be had for $799 now that the XE2 is out ($999).

As for the samsung battery issue, I figured I would get a wasabi battery kit (i've got one for my 5dm3) and it works great. This would give me 2 extra batteries and the ability to charge outside of camera.

I looked at the XE2. The same sensor as the x100s but figured it was so close to the x100s (basically a x100s with changeable lenses) and lack of OVF it wasn't really worth including.

Am I missing something between all the X cameras?

kur1j
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 06, 2013 08:55 |  #5

BrickR wrote in post #16505528 (external link)

kepa wrote in post #16505488 (external link)
I just helped my cousin decide on an Olympus E-M5. Very good picture quality for such a small sensor with some very nice primes at affordable prices, cheap zoom lenses, and higher priced/quality zooms (don't forget, you can use Panasonic lenses as well). Not sure of the prices (new or used) where you are, but the E-M5 with the Panasonic-Leica 25mm f1.4 (equivalent to 50mm f1.4) is a great place to start. It's a great lens for the price if bought used.

Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at the E-M5 as well.

Eastport
940 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 06, 2013 09:06 as a reply to  @ kur1j's post |  #6

If you have never handled the SL-1 with the 40mm pancake or even with the larger 18-55 STM, you should. It's way smaller and lighter than the other Rebels.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,601 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 06, 2013 09:13 |  #7

the very best would be the A7r and the very best value would be the EOS-M

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

JCH77Yanks
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 06, 2013 12:57 |  #8

Eastport wrote in post #16506077 (external link)
If you have never handled the SL-1 with the 40mm pancake or even with the larger 18-55 STM, you should. It's way smaller and lighter than the other Rebels.

This. If you want a smaller camera and don't want to invest in another system, and stay within the reasonable range of image quality, this would be a no brainer.

Joe Halliday
7D | XT | 10-22 | 24-105 f/4L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 580EXII | 430EXII | 430EX | Flickr (external link)| 500px (external link) |
Dial "M" for Manual.

Mackeral
524 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 06, 2013 15:21 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

x100. You'll bring it everywhere and actually use it.

"Complete quietness surrounded me as the dense fog smothered all sounds. As the sun rose, lifting the fog to reveal this majestic mountain, all my thoughts of the daily hustle and bustle were put away, allowing me to sit in solitude with nature."
-Utter Bull

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 06, 2013 15:43 |  #10

I rented the EM5 expected to be underwhelmed and think it was too small (no stores around to actually play with one). I came away incredibly impressed. Rented it with the PL 25 1.4.
It is built like a tank, surprisingly comfortable to hold and use, and makes shooting a joy. I thought I would ONLY use a VF, but found that I used the back screen to compose and shoot 90% of the time. Using EVF in dark places is where it helps. You can actually see in the dark with it. Big difference when you're used to OVF in the dark being difficult to see through. The EM5 is packed with a lot of tech as well. With a metabones adapter, the difficulties of getting shallow DOF with m4/3 sensor is "solved". To me, the EM5 just made it fun, fast, and easy to shoot. I didn't want to spend $999 for it at the time though, but the prices are coming down.

The Fuji XM1 is like an XE1 with no EVF. The XA1 is a XM1 with a CMOS sensor instead of an Xtrans sensor. From what I've seen though, it is very good anyway. The Fuji 18-55 kit lens is f2.8-f4 and very good. Haven't tried the 16-50 but Fuji glass is good to excellent. They don't really have any 'crap' lenses.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 06, 2013 18:57 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Pick up a used X100 for $600 and you are all set. I take mine everywhere with me from business travel to road biking to x-country skiing. Wonderful results and such a joy to use.

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Gallery: 2123 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 06, 2013 19:16 |  #12

I've just bought the x100s and love it

My son's just bought the 100D (SL1), and he loves that also...............mai​nly because he can use my lenses :-)

I'd go for the 100D if the fixed lens of the X100S doesn't suit you.

100D with kit lens

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5515/10921372066_80800b8336_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bidkev/10921372​066/  (external link)
Cricket 4 (external link) by bidkev1 & son (see profile) (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5474/10921388924_c48f430d35_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bidkev/10921388​924/  (external link)
Cricket 1 (external link) by bidkev1 & son (see profile) (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7386/10551095896_8b4f7ea80b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bidkev/10551095​896/  (external link)
yummy! (external link) by bidkev1 & son (see profile) (external link), on Flickr

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus PenF | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll x 2 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro | 14 -150 | 17mm 1.8 | 9mm BCL | Panasonic 12-32 | 25mm 1.7 | Panasonic Leica 8-18 | Panasonic Leica 100-400 | Godox TT685O speedlite

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,830 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 06, 2013 20:58 |  #13

The SL1 is certainly small, but in the wrong areas IMO (too thick, even without lens).

I would add the NEX 6 (even though I really wasn't a fan of the LCD on the one I tested) and the XE-1 to your list. Right now you can get an XE-1 with the kit 18-55/2.8-4 lens for $800, and the NEX 6 kit is the same pricing. I personally think the Fuji's offer the best IQ of the bunch and I personally love their control layout, but I've never actually shot with one. That said, I'll leave you my thoughts on the EOS M since I own that camera...

I use my EOS M way more than I ever thought I would. I bought mine for $400, just before the firesale and still don't feel I was "ripped off". It's a surprisingly good camera, I think the bad rep it got was mostly due to it's initial price ($800) and lack of lenses. I bought my M for the same purpose you're describing and I didn't want to spend more than $500 on a camera.

I went with the M for these reasons:

-Excellent build quality. If you hold one you'll be surprised, the magnesium body feels completely at home next to a 5DIII
-Beautiful LCD screen with surprisingly useful touch screen (to me the colors on Canon's LCD's are leagues ahead of every other manufacturer, except possibly Nikon. I personally can't stand the color rendition on Sony's LCD's, they just look wrong to me and files I've saved from their cameras in the past reflect this misleading color display, hopefully they've fixed this with the A7, haven't held one of those yet)
-Size. The M is seriously tiny. I have no problems taking it literally everywhere I go.
-Lens. There were no other cameras out there with a nicer kit lens than the M (small enough to be pocketable, wide aperture and great performance). The 22mm is an excellent lens and I really hope Canon releases more lenses like this, not only for the M but for EF mount, like the equally good 40mm STM.
-Sensor. Yea, it's the 18mp sensor that's been out since the time of the dinosaurs... so what? It's a great sensor and I'm rarely disappointed with any shots I get out of it.

But, if you really need fast AF, don't buy the M. I definitely don't think it's slow like everyone raves on about it being, but it's certainly not fast either. For daily shooting though, I never find it to be too slow for me.

Fuji X-T3 // Fuji X-Pro2 (Full Spectrum) // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

BigSkyKen
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 06, 2013 21:07 |  #14

Hunt down a used Powershot S95. Small, shoots RAW and really good IQ.

BigSkyKen
Wildlife & Nature Blog @ His Creation (external link)

Raistlin
63 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 06, 2013 22:26 |  #15

I just bought a RX100 M2 to leave in the wife's purse so that we have a quality camera when we are out instead of our camera phones. Just got it and setting it up, it is a little small and weird to hold at first, it came with the Sony snap on case which adds a tiny bit of extra grip. So far I love it, haven't done any real world shots yet just some obligatory test shots around the house. I need to setup the wifi and see how best to utilize that feature as well.

sponsored links

4,197 views & 0 likes for this thread
More portable camera decision...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.