Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 06 Dec 2013 (Friday) 22:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another B+W try

xarik
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 06, 2013 22:58 |  #1

Hey,

I posted a few images a few days ago and I shot them in Monochrome and used the ISO for a grain feel. I just took this image a few hours ago in full color and I used the in camera B+W w/ grain effect (T3i thing) and this is what happened (Lowest contrast setting in camera) no editing except what the camera did....is this good or not?

IMAGE: http://i43.tinypic.com/aw5bwo.jpg

Bodies: Canon 5D3 - Canon 1D4
Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake
Extras: 2 Neewer TT520 Speedlites - Manfrotto 3021BPRO and ballhead

Check out my Flickr (external link)!

sponsored links
BigSkyKen
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 06, 2013 23:19 |  #2

I think it gets close to what you were attempting in your other post. A couple thoughts...the detail in much of the blacks seem to be lost, can you pull some detail out in PP? Wish the entire bow was in the shot, being cut off seems to lose something here. And, why is he flipping you off?

BigSkyKen
Wildlife & Nature Blog @ His Creation (external link)

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 06, 2013 23:31 |  #3

Lol didn't even notice that...Umm SHE is just holding her bow like that because that's how she always does :P Force of habit when she one hands the bow and the violin at the same time. Taking a second look at it...the entire right side from the violin to right is fine, everything to the left is hideous to me as it did lose ALL quality in the blacks...I only did the effect in camera for this (probably a crappy effect because it's done in camera after the image is taken lol).

I could pull out some detail but idk how much with the image already being altered in the camera. I personally don't like the PS B+W filter/effect as I can never get the look I am aiming for :P

Here is the original image unedited

IMAGE: http://i42.tinypic.com/smzh2w.jpg

Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake

BigSkyKen
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 06, 2013 23:38 |  #4

I think I like the B/W better. It makes the image timeless to a great degree. The biggest benefit of the color is that you can make out the part of the bow SHE is resting her middle finger on. I am not a big fan of either PS or LR B/W effects and filters, however if you take a look at Scott Kelby's books (for either program) and follow his steps to convert color to B/W and then add noise or otherwise age the image, I think you'll like the final product.

BigSkyKen
Wildlife & Nature Blog @ His Creation (external link)

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 06, 2013 23:44 |  #5

I'll do some post processing on this image someday soon and post here again to show you what I've found with Scott Kelby's book as well as adding my own taste :) THANKS!

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 07, 2013 16:31 |  #6

I usually prefer B&W but I prefer the colour ...mainly due to the nice warm violin colour and because otherwise, there is not a wide enough range of tones to support B&W...is is too black.
I would open it up somewhat and crop the bottom and side to hide the poking fingers.....and sharpen.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i14.photobucket​.com …zh2wppwww_zps03​0aa927.jpg (external link)

genesimmons
Goldmember
1,984 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 08, 2013 08:51 |  #7

nice color edit,i liked the bw but this color is very nice

OLYMPUS EM1 M2. 12-100 F4 PRO.75mm f1.8,fisheye f1.8 pro. SONY A7 various manual lenses. FUJI X100
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/100085318@N08/ (external link)

Fitness ­ Freak
841 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 09, 2013 17:05 |  #8

I don't like the added grain effect in the B&W. I think I'd also crop the sides of the picture to get rid of the excess clutter (eg. partial thumb, the excess chairs, etc.).

FYI: "Fitness Freak" is also known as "Amber" outside of POTN.
http://fineartamerica.​com/profiles/1-amber-kresge.html (external link)

sponsored links

1,125 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another B+W try
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.