Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 Dec 2013 (Friday) 14:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will this wireless remote start/stop recording video on a 70D

wedge421
100 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 06, 2013 14:43 |  #1

Will this:

http://www.amazon.com …keywords=canon+​70d+remote (external link)

Start/Stop video recording on a Canon 70D? And does anyone know of one that will if this doesnt? I would prefer not to use the Canon DSLR phone app to do this

My Gallery (external link)
Canon T1i

Canon 50mm f/1.8| Canon 85mm f/1.8 |Sigma 24-70mm f2.8
http://www.beergeeknat​ion.com (external link)

sponsored links
Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 07, 2013 07:06 |  #2

Canon also prefers that you do not use the remote app with the 70D in video mode. WiFi on cam is disabled when you flip the switch to video! I believe the item you posted a link to will work but it has to be pointed at the front of camera so the IR receiver can see it.

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 07, 2013 07:47 |  #3

I've owned one and used it on my T3i and it does not work on video. And if the 70D (which I also have) have the same configuration and start/stop internals as the T3i, which most likely will, the remote shutter will only work on the photo function and Shane is correct you need to have line-of-sight to fire off the shutter. It is better to use the app for remote shutter. So don't waste your $$.

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,288 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 07, 2013 21:45 |  #4

Yes, that remote will start/stop video on your 70D. All Canon DSLR's with video use the same IR remote function to start/stop video. The Drive mode must be set to self-timer(10sec or 2sec), and then must press the "2S" button on the IR remote. The "S" button will only take a still or take a still during video. Genuine Canon RC-5's (and clones) will only have the 2 second delay button, while all the others have both the S and 2S buttons. (the RC-6 only has one button but there is a switch on the back for S or S2)

Just search out RC-1, RC-4, RC-5, or RC-6 and you will find many different varieties.

$2.00 is all you need to spend. I use one like this for my 5D3, and SL1: http://www.ebay.com …_from=R40&_nkw=​canon+RC-4 (external link)

IMAGE: http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mLP8BS9jdYktSEe05bnPntg.jpg

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

NU27D
464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 07, 2013 22:19 as a reply to  @ msowsun's post |  #5

Remote (external link)

mitch-ogb
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 29, 2014 09:25 |  #6

simply use an IR Extender and place it wherever you need it and point the remote at it or just tape it to the IR extender sender unit.

use a USB battery pack to power the extender they are about $50 for a decent one and can charge your phone at the same time. I use the Energizer xp 18000 with a DC adapter for charging canon batteries to charge my batteries anywhere without power.

IMAGE: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61PskHvEWTL._SL1500_.jpg

skorn
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 24, 2014 06:42 as a reply to  @ mitch-ogb's post |  #7

hi
i'm new with the 70d (i used before a d7000 nikon but in video it's not the perfect dslr to go)

now i own this dslr and i recently bought a giga t pro II hahmel
this is a very complex remote control

once i set it up then i did every thing you said before that is to say to set The Drive mode must to self-timer(10sec or 2sec), then i set the mode to video ( the littke button on the right and then when i hit the start button nothing happen

when i set it to photo it takes the photo but for the video it doesn"t work

maybe i should buy the RC-6 but i don't think it will work either

any suggestions will be much appreciated

sponsored links

8,733 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will this wireless remote start/stop recording video on a 70D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.