Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Dec 2013 (Saturday) 16:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Protector for Macro

Bogino
464 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 07, 2013 16:17 |  #1

Recently purchased a Canon Macro 100mm L lens. Doesn't have a lens protector/filter on it. Any suggestions? Thank You.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

sponsored links
Alveric
Goldmember
4,474 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 07, 2013 16:21 |  #2

This should fit (external link) the bill nicely.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 07, 2013 16:32 |  #3

Use the supplied hood.

paddler4
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 07, 2013 19:06 |  #4

xarqi wrote in post #16509376 (external link)
Use the supplied hood.

The supplied hood is not really helpful when you are chasing bugs, since is brings the front end of that particular lens within about 2 inches (5 cm) of the bug. For that reason, I almost never use the hood when shooting bugs.

Bogino--if you ask about protective filters here, you are liable to get a long string of arguing posts, some people saying they are a good idea and others insisting they aren't.

I do a great deal of macro, and in doing field work, I often use a protective filter. When I don't need it (e.g., shooting flowers in a controlled environment), or when I am in conditions where a filter is likely to cause flare (lights in front of the lens), I take it off. The B+W that Alveric mentioned is a good choice for this, but you can also get a very good Marumi filter for a lot less: http://www.2filter.com​/marumi/marumiuvfilter​s.html (external link). I use both.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,474 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 07, 2013 19:09 |  #5

You might also need to use a polariser and in that case, the hood will hamper you, even if you have long, skinny fingers.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 08, 2013 06:00 |  #6

paddler4 wrote in post #16509645 (external link)
The supplied hood is not really helpful when you are chasing bugs, since is brings the front end of that particular lens within about 2 inches (5 cm) of the bug. For that reason, I almost never use the hood when shooting bugs.

Try the hood for the EF-S 60mm macro. Same diameter as the 100 hood, but quite a bit shorter and won't ruin IQ.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

artyH
Goldmember
2,091 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 08, 2013 07:43 |  #7

Hoya HMC filters are good stuff. Be sure that you get one of their multicoated filters.

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,273 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 08, 2013 08:32 as a reply to  @ artyH's post |  #8

I've been shooting macro for a while, and have never seen the need for a protective filter. Even when using extension tubes which allows me to get even closer to the subject.

That being said, if you insist on using one, spend the money to get a good one. I like B+W.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
464 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 08, 2013 09:08 as a reply to  @ LV Moose's post |  #9

Thank You for all the feedback. I decided to move ahead and buy the B + W.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 08, 2013 09:37 |  #10

Save your money. No filter is needed and it has the potential to get in the way, effecting image quality. Won't do any good in many situations and can actually do harm (I've seen lenses damaged by broken filters).

I use 5 macro lenses and a couple more non-macro lens that I use primarily or frequently for extreme close-ups (a tilt-shift, 300/4 IS). Some of these I've had for 10 years or more and I can't recall the last time I put a "protection" filter on any of them, if I ever have. They simply aren't exposed to anything they need protectin' from.

I virtually always use the lens hood, even the rather strange one on the MP-E 65mm. A hood provides far better protection than a thin piece of glass ever could. Especially the high-impact plastic, bayonet mount hoods most Canon lenses use. And it does so without compromising image quality in any way. It can only improve image quality (so long as it's the correct hood and doesn't vignette). I use the 100/2.8 USM (non-L/IS), which has a massive hood, but bought a second smaller, screw-in hood that I use with it occasionally. Yes, there are times when you are working so close to a subject you have to remove the hood... but those times are pretty rare.

I do occasionally use a polarizing filter when it's effects are needed. But still virtually always use the hood, even with a C-Pol. When using a filter... any filter... it's even more important to use a hood to protect the filter from both physical knocks (it's much fragile than the lens) and from oblique light. A C-Pol has twice the layers of glass of most filters, so is even more at risk of flare or other unwanted effects. No it's not "convenient" to use a C-Pol with a lens hood. But no one ever told me that photography was going to be convenient.

Do what you want, but IMO putting a "protection" filter on the front of that lens is a real waste of money.... It will do nothing to improve your images, might even do the opposite in some situations. It won't take the place of using the hood and in fact makes it more important use the hood. And it will not really provide much physical protection, might even do the opposite and cause damage to the lens if it's ever broken.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,474 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 08, 2013 12:59 |  #11

Image quality can (most probably will) be affected by cheap filters, hence my recommendation of the B+W. I may never need it, but my peace of mind is certainly worth the price. I'll even use a polariser for nothing else but protection if I haven't a clear filter; my 24mm TS-E has the circular polariser permanently attached because I haven't had the dough to buy the clear filter. I'm not willing not to spend tens of dollars to minimise the chances of damaging a lens that costs over two thousand, no matter how insured it is; I'd rather compensate for the 1.7-2.2 stops of light loss through ISO or shutter speed.

As for a broken filter, the only ways I can see a filter being broken are through impact, with said blunt object going through the filter and reaching the lens —in which case not having a filter woulda destroyed the lens just as well—, or through poor handling, in which case it's user error and fault.

Needless to say, the hood can and should still be used with the filter and the lens cap should be on whenever the camera's not being used.

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,556 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 08, 2013 13:44 |  #12

Re hood: for those cases when the original hood is too long, I have an aftermarket one that I shortened to a little more than half length.

Re protective filter: I use them on all my lenses, but on this particular lens, the Hoya barely engages the lens threads. It looks that on this lens the filter threads start slightly deeper down the front ring than usual (there is a deeper initial bevel). Did anyone else experience this?

Alveric
Goldmember
4,474 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 08, 2013 15:15 |  #13

No such issues with my B+W.

There's one thing in which a filter will hamper, and that is when using macro ring flash, as these have to screw to the lens thread. The weight might prove too much for a filter, especially a polariser.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,637 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 08, 2013 23:43 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #14

I've tested my B&W filter extensively with this lens, especially at macro distances (and so can the OP now) and I can't tell the difference under normal situations.

However, a shortened hood is a good idea. In fact I am going to look into that since the hood can get in the way and is just excessive for many/most situations. I don't like walking around without the hood on, especially if I have a filter on and even more if it is an expensive CP.

The threads on this lens have gotten several comments before about being 'shallow'. I think they are different, although I remember thinking about it the last time I screwed a filter on and they seemed deep enough for it to be secure.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,872 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 09, 2013 01:07 |  #15

I usually have either the hood or macrolite adapter on my 100L when in use, so almost never use a filter. I'm sure I have a filter for it somewhere . . .

Cheers, Damien

sponsored links

1,107 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Protector for Macro
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.