Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Dec 2013 (Saturday) 19:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Switched to Canon: Full time from Nikon

bumbklaatt
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 08, 2013 03:06 |  #16

Roshan wrote in post #16509639 (external link)
Hey all,
I've been borrowing the 5D3 recently and ended up selling my Nikon D700.

Here's my beef. I DO NOT like Canon ergonomics. The button layouts to me make no sense. I have to run around in menus to get to things, and it's just a difficult thing to do. And this from owning a 5D2 for almost a year.

My Main camera has been the Nikon D700. It's autofocus and continuous focus is miles ahead of the 5D2. I love the placements of the buttons. Love Nikon's menus. So why did I sell it?

My Canon's White balance accuracy and overall colors just flat out blows away the D3 sensor in the D700. Colors have much more pop and much more accurate white balance. It would take me forever to post process Nikon files for correct skin tones. Post processing Canon CR2 raw files are a cinch.

Just thought I'd share. I really miss the Nikon ergonomics. When it comes to ease of use, the menu, the customization, Canon is really far behind Nikon IMO. But for sheer picture quality if you expose properly (ie, dynamic range in shadows not pushed), I find the Canon tones are much more to my liking.

All in all, I am more inspired by seeing the final pictures from my Canon, than I did with my Nikon. That to me was the deciding factor.

You've just nailed a major reason why I made the move to Canon from Nikon a few months ago! I used a D700, and the switched it to a D600 (i need the video function), I didn't get on with the AF/erganomics of the D600, so I returned it. This left me realistically with the only option being a D800. I downloaded a number of RAW files, and while the DR and detail was amazing, I found the colours and tone straight from camera, to be worse than the D600. Also, as much as 36 mp is obviously an advantage in some situations, the file sizes (even compressed) were still very large.

I was able to borrow a 5Dmkiii and a couple of lenses from my works advertising dept for a weekend, and after a couple of days I was sold! I couldn't believe how finished the RAW files are straight from camera, and how little processing they need. Nikon certainly have the edge when it comes to shadow recovery, but for what I shoot this can be overcome with bracketing if needed. Also, I found the Canon tends to meter darker, which confused me at first.

As far as the erganomics, I found myself adjusting quite easily, and actually prefer the way the Canon feels now ( I still use Nikon daily in work, so I've directly compared both!).

I got a lot of stick from fellow Nikon shooters when I made the switch, but the way I see it is a camera is a tool, and I use the one that suits me best. If Nikon had made a D800
with the option for Small and Medium raw files, and "Canon" WB and colours then I would have probably stayed with them. But as I said Canon simply make the camera that I need at the moment.

sponsored links
Dave ­ Jenkins
608 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 08, 2013 07:33 |  #17

Different strokes, guys, different strokes. Personally, I found Nikon ergonomics to be a PITA.

Dave Jenkins
<'}}}}><
My blog: http://alifeinphotogra​phy.blogspot.com (external link)
My newest book: Backroads and Byways of Georgia
Travel and People: www.davidbjenkins.com (external link)
My award winning book: Rock City Barns: A Passing Era.

Gobeatty
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 08, 2013 08:39 as a reply to  @ Dave Jenkins's post |  #18

Some have found the Canon 5 and 1 series overwhelming with menu options. I use a 6D which is simpler and doesn't leave me wanting in the control dept, except setting up manual WB seems to take more steps than it should. As you noted, AWB is very good and if I want consistent WB I use one of the presets.

Between My Menu and the Q menu I have everything I need from the menus when shooting. I believe the 5diii is same but just with more configurable choices in the menus. Maybe it's a matter of setting up My Menu to do what you need when shooting.

The hard buttons are also configurable to a point, so might be worth time trying different configurations. If you search, you can find recommendations for My Menu and button settings.

6D | 35 f2 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28 - 135 f3.5 - 5.6 | 70-210 f4

jughandle
69 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 08, 2013 09:37 as a reply to  @ Gobeatty's post |  #19

When i started photography 3 years ago. I bought a 50D DVD tutorial video to familiarize myself to the total functionality of the camera. Buttons, menus, custom settings and so on. I don't learn fast through reading. I learn faster visually. Hope this help you.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=EWvuBCzy8k8 (external link)

shundaroni
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 08, 2013 11:35 |  #20

Roshan wrote in post #16509639 (external link)
My Canon's White balance accuracy and overall colors just flat out blows away the D3 sensor in the D700. Colors have much more pop and much more accurate white balance. It would take me forever to post process Nikon files for correct skin tones. Post processing Canon CR2 raw files are a cinch.

This is where I am right now, more or less. I use a D300, and have only ever owned Nikon DSLRs (though I've always owned Canon P&S). I've never been impressed with skin tones SOOC from Nikon. I feel like I have to spend way too much time in post getting the colors, saturation, and vibrance the way I like it, not only with skin tones but with colors generally.

I'm not certain I can articulate exactly what it is that irks me, but I think part of it is the Nikon images seem a tad too contrasty, saturated, and warm. I'm not saying I like a bland photo, but I like more realistic colors. And, from what I've seen, Canon tends to produce files SOOC that are much closer to my ideal.

DIGITAL: CANON 5D Mark III | FUJI X100S
FILM: MAMIYA RB67 | RICOH Diacord | YASHICA MAT-124G | OLYMPUS OM-1 | MINOLTA SRT-101

NCSA197
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 08, 2013 12:34 |  #21

Dave Jenkins wrote in post #16510543 (external link)
Different strokes, guys, different strokes. Personally, I found Nikon ergonomics to be a PITA.

Makes sense. I used Canon from the late 1970's, got away from photography for far too long, and when it was time for d DSLR- looked at Nikon, bought Canon. I'm certain that if I had purchased Nikon, it would be a great camera and I'd get used to it's features quickly enough; and it also would deliver spectacular images.
Kind of like cars; I absolutely cannot stand the heating, A/C, radio and other controls on a Honda. They will not work conveniently for me. But they're good cars, I just won't buy another one. Give me a ******* instead (name left out; don't need a new discussion).

Flickr (external link)

Roshan
THREAD ­ STARTER
319 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 08, 2013 15:30 |  #22

shundaroni wrote in post #16510951 (external link)
This is where I am right now, more or less. I use a D300, and have only ever owned Nikon DSLRs (though I've always owned Canon P&S). I've never been impressed with skin tones SOOC from Nikon. I feel like I have to spend way too much time in post getting the colors, saturation, and vibrance the way I like it, not only with skin tones but with colors generally.

I'm not certain I can articulate exactly what it is that irks me, but I think part of it is the Nikon images seem a tad too contrasty, saturated, and warm. I'm not saying I like a bland photo, but I like more realistic colors. And, from what I've seen, Canon tends to produce files SOOC that are much closer to my ideal.

http://ryanbrenizer.co​m …er-Studios-Wedding-10.jpg (external link)

I'm a big fan of Ryan Brenizer. I love his pictures, but look at the skin tone here. This is about as good as the Nikon skin tone gets. but it's just too warm - vs the cool background. If you want to cool it down, and bring in some reds to compensate you lose the background color.

You take this same pic with a Canon, and all you're doing, is adding some punch, contrast, and raise the shadows to bring out her face. Skin tones will be spot on.

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 08, 2013 15:42 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

Personally I like this skin tone. Of course I like things warmer

Roshan
THREAD ­ STARTER
319 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 08, 2013 15:54 |  #24

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #16511529 (external link)
Personally I like this skin tone. Of course I like things warmer

This is the best example of Nikon skin tone I could find online.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,827 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 08, 2013 16:01 |  #25

Gobeatty wrote in post #16510622 (external link)
Some have found the Canon 5 and 1 series overwhelming with menu options. I use a 6D which is simpler and doesn't leave me wanting in the control dept, except setting up manual WB seems to take more steps than it should. As you noted, AWB is very good and if I want consistent WB I use one of the presets.

Between My Menu and the Q menu I have everything I need from the menus when shooting. I believe the 5diii is same but just with more configurable choices in the menus. Maybe it's a matter of setting up My Menu to do what you need when shooting.

The hard buttons are also configurable to a point, so might be worth time trying different configurations. If you search, you can find recommendations for My Menu and button settings.

What method do you use for manual WB? I use the Kelvin setting when I do manual WB and on the 6D it's extremely easy to adjust on the fly. I love that Q button, so beautifully simple :cool:

Fuji X-T3 // Fuji X-Pro2 (Full Spectrum) // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 08, 2013 16:01 as a reply to  @ Roshan's post |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

Try this guy, he shoots Nikon
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1343990

bumbklaatt
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 08, 2013 17:01 |  #27

You can get fantastic images from either brand, if this wasn't the case then everyone would be shooting one brand. Also colours are subjective, but as I said having shot both, I prefer Canons.

Aressem
Goldmember
4,368 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 08, 2013 17:10 |  #28

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16509687 (external link)
Interesting. My biggest gripe with Nikon is the ergonomics :lol: I feel that they have a way overly complex button layout. All the buttons and dials I need fast are there on the Canon, I think it's just a matter of adjustment.

Precisely how I feel.

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Roshan
THREAD ­ STARTER
319 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 08, 2013 17:51 |  #29

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #16511583 (external link)
Try this guy, he shoots Nikon
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1343990

Well, there's good photographers and there's the master's, Like Alex here. You can't compare people like him. His post processing is uncanny. If you took his raw files and tried to replicate what he did, it's a long struggle.

I'm not a great photographer. I'm a decent one. I don't have the post processing knowledge of some of you here. That could also be why I was having difficulties with Nikon's files. It's just too green, or too warm. Canon just has that bright, color pop, with a hint of red shift.

On people, red shift is MUCH MUCH more favorable than green shift.

RayinAlaska
500 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 08, 2013 18:32 |  #30

Roshan wrote in post #16511808 (external link)
Well, there's good photographers and there's the master's, Like Alex here. You can't compare people like him. His post processing is uncanny. If you took his raw files and tried to replicate what he did, it's a long struggle.

I'm not a great photographer. I'm a decent one. I don't have the post processing knowledge of some of you here. That could also be why I was having difficulties with Nikon's files. It's just too green, or too warm. Canon just has that bright, color pop, with a hint of red shift.

On people, red shift is MUCH MUCH more favorable than green shift.

Agree with you about photo editing such as that being a lot of work.

By the way, there is a guy who goes by the name Davev at the 70D forum who posts images as the ones of the elk and ram below. I don't know what process he uses (maybe some of the NIK plugins?), but just look at the photo of the ram and it will amaze you:
https://photography-on-the.net …ad.php?t=132422​6&page=156

You can see a similar effect below (the dogs), at the 5DIII thread:
https://photography-on-the.net …ad.php?t=129444​7&page=358

sponsored links

10,273 views & 0 likes for this thread
Switched to Canon: Full time from Nikon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.