Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 04 Dec 2013 (Wednesday) 20:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

StoFen Diffuser

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 07, 2013 01:41 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

I tried the same thing with the Metz 58 AF-2 and the Westcott 7' parabolic, but that brolly is really not meant to be used with flash guns, in spite of the pictures on the box it comes in.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links
talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 08, 2013 07:26 |  #32

I have and use one in appropriate situations. I understand the things that people say who are against them, and most of those have merit. There are times when a stofen is pointless and wasteful, and bare flash is preferable.

If I am in a situation where I can bounce and want natural light, I will do that, and there's no real need of a stofen (or some cases, the stofen can help by spreading the light around a little more than direct flash).

In situations where you can't bounce (say, for nightclub or low-light event photography), you typically want to light the subject directly, and drag the shutter to pull up the ambient lights - this is something I do quite a bit.

I've compared using direct bare flash (either on or off camera) pointing at the subject, to using a stofen at 45 degrees, with various exposure compensation amounts and in almost all cases I prefer the stofen shots - so I still use it in that configuration.

As to why - with the stofen at 45 degrees, clearly some light is being directed away from the subject, whereas direct flash basically all the light is hitting the subject. I *think* what's happening is you get a sort of "feathering the light" effect - it's quite common in photography to not make the lights hit the subject directly, but to feather the light, where the subject is just coming into the edges of the light beam - the light is pointed slightly past the subject rather than at the subject.

This is I guess what is happening with the stofen - it's the only reason I can think of to explain why in my tests I always prefered the stofen at 45 degrees to direct flash, even flash exposure compensated...

Note: I also use it when the flash is put into a softbox as well...

So, for me at least, it has it's uses...

7D, 450D | 17-55, 10-22, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580EXII | YN568II | YN622 x3 | Magic Lantern | (Still) Jonesing for a 70-200 2.8...
Turns out a gripped 7D + 622 + 580exII + 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 is BLOODY HEAVY! Who knew?!!

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,903 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 08, 2013 11:10 |  #33

talbot_sunbeam wrote in post #16510534 (external link)
As to why - with the stofen at 45 degrees, clearly some light is being directed away from the subject, whereas direct flash basically all the light is hitting the subject. I *think* what's happening is you get a sort of "feathering the light" effect - it's quite common in photography to not make the lights hit the subject directly, but to feather the light, where the subject is just coming into the edges of the light beam - the light is pointed slightly past the subject rather than at the subject.

This is I guess what is happening with the stofen - it's the only reason I can think of to explain why in my tests I always prefered the stofen at 45 degrees to direct flash, even flash exposure compensated...

Your guess is not right. Fortunately StoFen provides an illustration to explain how it works.
Unfortunately the illustration under emphasizes the contribution of the ceiling bounced light, where the size of the 'apparent source' causes light rays to come from many points, causing much less defined edges to shadows. So I took their base illustration and embellished it to better illustrate the principle of ceiling bounce contribution. Think of overcast days, where you see little evidence of your own shadow on the ground.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Stofenhowitworks_zpsedd1e75a.jpg

The issue is not related to 'feathering', which makes use of the outer areas of light cast by a softbox, for example, in which the outer fringes are less intense than more centrally in the light field, as illustrated here...
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/feathering.jpg

...where the person nearest the softbox is illuminated by less intense light than those farther away. Therefore, the persons farther away, which causes them to be subjected somewhat to falloff of intensity due to distance (although softboxes are not subject to the more rapid Inverse Square falloff as specular sources are) so the entire group is somewhat uniformly illuminated by taking advantage of feathering.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 08, 2013 13:42 |  #34

Wilt wrote in post #16510893 (external link)
Your guess is not right. Fortunately StoFen provides an illustration to explain how it works.

The issue is not related to 'feathering', which makes use of the outer areas of light cast by a softbox, for example, in which the outer fringes are less intense than more centrally in the light field, as illustrated here...
QUOTED IMAGE

...where the person nearest the softbox is illuminated by less intense light than those farther away. Therefore, the persons farther away, which causes them to be subjected somewhat to falloff of intensity due to distance (although softboxes are not subject to the more rapid Inverse Square falloff as specular sources are) so the entire group is somewhat uniformly illuminated by taking advantage of feathering.

If you re-read what I wrote, I am specifically talking about scenarios where there is *no* bouncing - there are no walls, no reflections, no bounce back. I understand how stofens work in conjunction with walls and bouncing, and referred to this in my post, but I am not talking about this scenario.

When the stofen is angled upward, the light is scattered more than the direct flash beam, and my subject is on the lower side, therefore is receiving less light or less intensity, which to me looks better, when I've done some tests...

7D, 450D | 17-55, 10-22, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580EXII | YN568II | YN622 x3 | Magic Lantern | (Still) Jonesing for a 70-200 2.8...
Turns out a gripped 7D + 622 + 580exII + 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 is BLOODY HEAVY! Who knew?!!

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,472 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 08, 2013 13:46 |  #35

talbot_sunbeam wrote in post #16511237 (external link)
If you re-read what I wrote, I am specifically talking about scenarios where there is *no* bouncing - there are no walls, no reflections, no bounce back. I understand how stofens work in conjunction with walls and bouncing, and referred to this in my post, but I am not talking about this scenario.

When the stofen is angled upward, the light is scattered more than the direct flash beam, and my subject is on the lower side, therefore is receiving less light or less intensity, which to me looks better, when I've done some tests...

Have you tried shooting at 45* with the bounce card pulled out? That's what I usually do in those situations as I didn't see a noticeable difference between the built in bounce card and the sto-fen. Granted that's just me.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Wilt
43,903 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 08, 2013 14:00 |  #36

talbot_sunbeam wrote in post #16511237 (external link)

But if you look at the top illustration from Stofen, they clearly show the almost 180 degree characteristic of the light field, and the 'feathering' (decrease of light intensity) only occurs BEYOND that wide angle -- nowhere near where the subject is. Anything which goes up (or down) and does not bounce against an adjacent wall or ceiling -- which is what you are specifically ruling out, bounce! -- is wasted light, and no more than that.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 08, 2013 14:05 |  #37

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16511247 (external link)
Have you tried shooting at 45* with the bounce card pulled out? That's what I usually do in those situations as I didn't see a noticeable difference between the built in bounce card and the sto-fen. Granted that's just me.

I have but I don't think I tested that at the time I was playing with it. Good point, it's worth checking out at some point.

talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 08, 2013 14:10 |  #38

Wilt wrote in post #16511277 (external link)
But if you look at the top illustration from Stofen, they clearly show the almost 180 degree characteristic of the light field, and the 'feathering' (decrease of light intensity) only occurs BEYOND that wide angle -- nowhere near where the subject is. Anything which goes up (or down) and does not bounce against an adjacent wall or ceiling -- which is what you are specifically ruling out, bounce! -- is wasted light, and no more than that.

I know the theory. :)

(These stofen threads are always a little contentious!)

The illustration is a little off how I'm actually using it - the subject is actually much closer to that lower light beam edge line in the illustration, as I'm generally closer and higher than that illustration puts the subject.

And yes, while light is indeed being wasted that doesn't hit the subject, from my tests in the field, the results were more pleasing to me. It's not just the quantity of light - if I used direct flash at the subject, and pull the flash exposure down so they match, the stofen ones were still better - hence why I still use that method for that scenario...

Wilt
43,903 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 08, 2013 15:59 |  #39

I just did a sequence, 6' from subject (pumpkin, oiled surface to mimic facial oil), flash exposure with indoor ambient underexposed by -3EV, camera mounted on tripod for identical subject framing.

1. Flash native lens only,
2. StoFen sized 'diffuser' Rosco Hilite flat filter (to mimic StoFen on flash head pointed forward, with little light reflected back from ceiling),
3. 5" x 4" LightSphere-like Feta cheese frosted plastic home modifier

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/barestofenfeta_zpsa3918bff.jpg

I will shoot this again, after dark, outside!

[edit] OK, same sequence, outside (nothing to bounce off of) after dark
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/barestofenfeta2_zps1b24ded0.jpg

Note the shadow appearing at the left side, at the base of the pumpkin...not present with my Feta cheese modifier, but present with the Stofen sized one.

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 08, 2013 21:12 |  #40

MakisM1 wrote in post #16502752 (external link)
I think Wilt covered it pretty well. You can get the upward pointing flash to give you catchlights,, if you tape a 3x5 card (bounce card) to its top (parallel to the flash axis).

Not worth the light loss IMO

You can create your own monster bounce card (Google a better bounce card)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MakisM1 in
./showthread.php?p=165​02752&i=i139097586
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

catchlights being the least of your problem :D

Here it is in action

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://s37.photobucket​.com …on/IMG_5748setu​p.jpg.html  (external link)

Get a too big bounce card in the wrong conditions for it, makes it no different than a straight on flash IMHO cause I use them all the time.

I ­ Love ­ Cats
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 08, 2013 23:26 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

OP again.

I spent a goodly amount of time comparing Stofen (vertical & 45 degrees) to bare flash at 45 degrees with and without white reflector panel extended, and bare flash vertical with and without white reflector panel.

I came to two conclusions. The first is that the Stofen diffuser is quite capable of some decent results at 45 degrees. The second is that it is never better than the bare flash at 45 degrees with the reflector panel extended. To summarize: anything you can do with a Stofen diffuser, you can do without it. Most times better without it.

The best (worst?) situation is that where you are flash-illuminating a close subject in a big room. I am referring to the typical well-lit subject/dark background type of shot. Stofen falls flat on its face here. It just robs the flash of too much power. With bare flash and reflector panel extended, head at 45 degrees, I could easily get a well-lit subject at 6 feet, and an adequately lit background at 18 feet. The direct flash bouncing off the ceiling fills in the BG. The Stofen was quite capable of properly lighting the subject. The BG was almost black, easily 4+ stops underexposed. Just in case you are wondering, I used manual flash power set to 1/4 and ISO 400, to eliminate the vagaries of ETTL-II.

The Stofen diffuser is capable of decent results in some situations. In any situation where the Stofen will work, there are better choices that consume less power. That is how I see it. As usual, YMMV.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 08, 2013 23:29 |  #42
bannedPermanent ban

Did you also modify the zoom settings?

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

I ­ Love ­ Cats
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 09, 2013 00:03 |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

Fixed at 24mm coverage.

talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 09, 2013 06:09 |  #44

I Love Cats wrote in post #16512494 (external link)
I spent a goodly amount of time comparing Stofen (vertical & 45 degrees) to bare flash at 45 degrees with and without white reflector panel extended, and bare flash vertical with and without white reflector panel.

I came to two conclusions. The first is that the Stofen diffuser is quite capable of some decent results at 45 degrees. The second is that it is never better than the bare flash at 45 degrees with the reflector panel extended. To summarize: anything you can do with a Stofen diffuser, you can do without it. Most times better without it.

The Stofen diffuser is capable of decent results in some situations. In any situation where the Stofen will work, there are better choices that consume less power. That is how I see it. As usual, YMMV.

Thanks for this - next time I'm out I'll revisit this and do some more tests and see how it works out for me...

sponsored links

6,203 views & 0 likes for this thread
StoFen Diffuser
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.