Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 20:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can this be fixed?

Dawicka2
398 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 08, 2013 23:24 |  #16

First edit looks good Msix.

Second one looks a touch magenta/blue on my monitor.

Here is my stab at it. Quick edit, so camera left of the mom's head could stand to have more than 5 seconds put into it.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1157.photobuck​et.com …/finalll2_zps19​9c85b5.jpg (external link)

Magic lantern'd T2i, a 1d2n, 15-85, rokinon 8 and 85mm, nikon 55 f1.2, sigma 24mm f1.8 and Tokina 400mm creeperPrime.

sponsored links
BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 08, 2013 23:47 |  #17

Here is mine, fixed a few things. If you would like the original let me know.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,267 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 09, 2013 00:16 |  #18

I hate vignettes... But here is an instance where I think it would be appropriate.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 09, 2013 01:20 |  #19

M_Six wrote in post #16512395 (external link)
I felt the original was a bit off on the WB. Too warm, so the tree looked sort of flat. Here are a couple of variations. I'm the first to acknowledge that different monitors render in different ways, so these may look too cool on another screen. I recently brought up some pics that looked fine on my office machine and looked horrible at home on my laptop. But see how these look.

QUOTED IMAGE

white ballance looks way off.. like im looking at the smurfs way off. my monitor is not calibrated but i guarantee if you print that out it will be blue

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

HobbyClicker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 09, 2013 06:04 |  #20

VCY wrote in post #16512254 (external link)
Honestly, I don't think that the strap makes the image "unusable" but I'm down for a photoshop challenge.

Honestly, I didn't find it unusable either but I only got 1 vote. My wife gets 2 votes. The girls couldn't care less. You can probably tell they were not overly excited to have their pictures taken.

Very nice job on the edit. I also really appreciate the tutorial too. That was a good step-by-step. Is there a way you could PM a link to the full size file?

I would also appreciate full size links from everyone who did edits. I don't know what one I like best yet. There are a couple I like for different reasons.

M_Six - I like what you did with the shirt but the color looks off to me too. Can't be 100% sure on my monitor but I thought I was OK on color.

Dawicka2- Very nice job extending the shirt. I like that you removed the chair but left the wall decorations.

The Freeman- Love your edit. I'm not sure how to feel about removing the wall decorations. On one hand I can see how they are distracting. On the other hand, having them there makes it look more like a photo taken in our home rather than a photo in a studio look. Would like to hear others chime in on their opinions.

Hope I didn't miss anyone. Trying to scroll through while writing this. Thank you all very much for the time & effort.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,856 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 09, 2013 08:05 |  #21

1Tanker wrote in post #16512483 (external link)
Dennis, did you change the WB in this edit? It has a very red cast to it.

Nope, used "As Shot" (5250, -3). Not seeing the red cast on my monitor.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 09, 2013 08:58 |  #22

I don't post here as frequently as I did in the past so I only just noticed this photo. I gave it a quick shot; cloning out the distracting reflections and some minor skin work to remove blemishes. The original had significant lens vignetting that made it appear "cloudy." I also thought about removing the armchair but I figured it would kill some of the ambience. Unfortunately the bra strap can't be fixed in Lightroom, you need a pixel editor like Photoshop rather than a parametric editor (Lightroom).

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/7ue4yvR.jpg

HobbyClicker wrote in post #16512083 (external link)
I have been taking pictures for a while and use Lightroom but have not been able to fix a problem in our family Christmas card photo.

My wife is very upset that the daughter on the left has a bright green bra strap showing and says the photo is unusable because of it. I have tried to clone it out but nothing looks good. I'm not even sure lightroom is capable of doing something like this. Out of all the photos we took for our Christmas card, this is the only one where the dog cooperated.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I wasn't able to create a version of the photo small enough to post here for some reason so I have a full size version here:
https://drive.google.c​om …zd2JPUGM/edit?u​sp=sharing (external link)

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

Gear List

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 09, 2013 09:10 |  #23

Clever edit in cloning in some hair rather than removing the strap. The photo does have a color cast most likely caused by the flash reflecting off the walls and the rug they are sitting on. Probably lowering the Tint slider by about -10 to -15 will do the trick.

I'm looking at some of the earlier edits on a freshly profiled and calibrated monitor and unfortunately some of them have made the image too cool....personally I'd leave the color cast as is.

D Thompson wrote in post #16513003 (external link)
Nope, used "As Shot" (5250, -3). Not seeing the red cast on my monitor.

Gear List

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,451 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 09, 2013 09:42 |  #24

Dawicka2 wrote in post #16512493 (external link)
First edit looks good Msix.

Second one looks a touch magenta/blue on my monitor.

Yep, looks bluish on my work PC as well. I really need to get some calibration software. My goal with going cooler was to get some darker hues in the tree.

HobbyClicker, you might want to look into a gray card for use in important situations like this. I don't use mine all the time, but when the pic really counts, it doesn't take long to stick a gray card out there and shoot a reference image.

Mark J.
Gear

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,476 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 09, 2013 10:34 |  #25

1Tanker wrote in post #16512483 (external link)
@HobbyClicker:Im quite surprised at your wife's reaction, as showing bra-straps seems to be the fashion (at least for teens, and 20-somethings')for the last 10 years or more. TBH, it's a fashion trend i don't like..especially on young women like your daughters.

Ha, I still remember the expressions of blue-nosed outrage that were voiced when Joanie Benoit, while winning the first women's Olympic marathon on a hot day in Los Angeles, crossed the finish line with a bra strap showing. They almost took her medal away. That was thirty years ago - I thought we had gotten beyond that.

Elie / אלי

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 09, 2013 11:13 |  #26

HobbyClicker wrote in post #16512207 (external link)
You used spot healing? I tried clone but that didn't work for me. Heal didn't work even less. I guess I have a lot to learn. You made the fix in less time than it took for me to export & post the photo.

If you are using LR5:

1) press the Q key - this puts you into spot healing mode, (use Clone not Heal),

2) while holding down the Ctrl key, put the circular cursor over the spot you wish to change,

3) keeping the Ctrl key down, and using the left mouse button, drag the cursor to an area of the image you'd like to replace the "spot" with.

Personally I don't use the automatic healing feature as it very often will guess wrong. In the case of the green strap it will almost certainly guess wrong. I always use the Ctrl key.

Glenn

BTW - this is a great family Christmas image - well done.

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 09, 2013 11:32 |  #27

I DL'd the CR2, and the whole process took me about 10 minutes including spot cloning.

It's not perfect, but when printed on a Christmas card size it will never show.

As for the strap, at least it's green and suits the occasion.:lol:

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 09, 2013 13:05 |  #28

tzalman wrote in post #16513343 (external link)
Ha, I still remember the expressions of blue-nosed outrage that were voiced when Joanie Benoit, while winning the first women's Olympic marathon on a hot day in Los Angeles, crossed the finish line with a bra strap showing. They almost took her medal away. That was thirty years ago - I thought we had gotten beyond that.

Hey, it happens.. i have no problem with that. But as a fashion statement, it looks kind of sloppy to me. To go out of your way to have your straps showing, kind of reminds me of the teen boys who are proud to show their boxers..with drooping pants (but not nearly as insulting on my senses). ;)

Kel
Gear

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 09, 2013 13:28 |  #29

Wow. Some people need to invest in calibration software... and editing lessons. lol

The first one is great. Thread should have ended right there. lol

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,451 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 09, 2013 14:50 |  #30

amonline wrote in post #16513853 (external link)
Wow. Some people need to invest in calibration software... and editing lessons. lol

The first one is great. Thread should have ended right there. lol

Thank You, Capt. Snob. ;):D

Mark J.
Gear

sponsored links

3,771 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can this be fixed?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.