Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Dec 2013 (Saturday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is your most artistic lens?

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 08, 2013 22:42 |  #46

Quite the pissing match here :P

My most "artistic lens" would have to be a toss up between my 8mm Rokinon fisheye and my Sigma 35mm f/1.4 for obviously very different reasons :)

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,876 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 08, 2013 22:47 |  #47

After reading some of the responses I now understand my earlier misunderstanding. I am using a different definition of artistic than most posters here. For me color, DOF, contrast, bokah and pop are physical attributes of a lens. For me I see artistic as the quality of light, the subject, the framing,and post processing of an image, basically the elements that go into making an image and not the physical attributes of the lens that captures the light.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 09, 2013 02:18 |  #48

ruhell wrote in post #16510909 (external link)
My Meyer Görlitz Trioplan 100 f2.8
Fully open it has this glow around the edges and last but not least it's unique boquet...

+1

The Meyer Goerlitz Trioplan 100 (external link) has a nearly unique feature with its over corrected spherical abberation. As far I know no Canon EF lens could do this.

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Natur/slides/Frühling.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Natur/slides/Blaetter-Grafisch.jpg

vengence wrote in post #16511645 (external link)
While your question is inherently flawed, the answer to the question you are trying to ask is fairly simple, it's one of the following:
1) The fastest lens you own
or
2) Fisheye
or
3) 135 f/2.8 w/ soft focus

My fisheye is far from beeing my most artistic lens - for me.

My Canon FD 85mm/1.2L is far from my Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 (external link) which I love for artistic images:

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Architektur/slides/Leerer-Brunnen.jpg
Even faster lenses I own with f/1.0 and such are not sharp enough for me at the moment.

I have a Nikkor 105mm/2.0 DC which I love more and more - because of its nearly unique ability to change the bokeh. In contrast to my DIY defocus control lens (external link) with adjustable spherical abberation control the Nikkor DC lens is more universal and sharper with the neutral bokeh. Here the modified Sigma YS 135 (not artistic images, only tests):

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Zarte-Unschaerfe-1024.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Harte-Unschaerfe-1024.jpg

Another artistic lens is the Sony STF 135 - which I do not own. But it has me inspired to build a lens with apodization filter (external link):

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Natur/slides/Löwenzahn.jpg

Another artistic lens is the Helios 40 - 85mm f/1.5 - it generates sometimes swirling bokeh:

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Natur/slides/Blaetter.jpg

You see, for me artistic lenses is much about bokeh :D
But still, not the lens alone makes a good artistic image. The photographer need to know which kind of lens will give the image he want. Or the other way round, which object will work well with one of the "artistic" lenses. I am pretty happy that I learned how to use the Trioplan, with the other lenses I have to learn more.
I need to see what works with the lens.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

abbypanda
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 09, 2013 02:24 |  #49

Wow that Meyer Goerlitz Trioplan is awesome!

ruhell
22 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 09, 2013 03:47 as a reply to  @ post 16512064 |  #50

http://rune.zenfolio.c​om/ (external link)

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 09, 2013 05:04 |  #51

ZoneV wrote in post #16512698 (external link)
+1

The Meyer Goerlitz Trioplan 100 (external link) has a nearly unique feature with its over corrected spherical abberation. As far I know no Canon EF lens could do this.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

My fisheye is far from beeing my most artistic lens - for me.

My Canon FD 85mm/1.2L is far from my Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 (external link) which I love for artistic images:
QUOTED IMAGE
Even faster lenses I own with f/1.0 and such are not sharp enough for me at the moment.

I have a Nikkor 105mm/2.0 DC which I love more and more - because of its nearly unique ability to change the bokeh. In contrast to my DIY defocus control lens (external link) with adjustable spherical abberation control the Nikkor DC lens is more universal and sharper with the neutral bokeh. Here the modified Sigma YS 135 (not artistic images, only tests):

QUOTED IMAGE

Another artistic lens is the Sony STF 135 - which I do not own. But it has me inspired to build a lens with apodization filter (external link):

Another artistic lens is the Helios 40 - 85mm f/1.5 - it generates sometimes swirling bokeh:

You see, for me artistic lenses is much about bokeh :D
But still, not the lens alone makes a good artistic image. The photographer need to know which kind of lens will give the image he want. Or the other way round, which object will work well with one of the "artistic" lenses. I am pretty happy that I learned how to use the Trioplan, with the other lenses I have to learn more.
I need to see what works with the lens.

you win the 100 internet points and are a positive force in this thread!

titi_67207
496 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 09, 2013 10:20 |  #52

Nick3434 wrote in post #16510537 (external link)
Hmmmm, I guess I like the creativity of about all my lenses for different reasons:lol:

I do find that prime lenses lend to have an individual look to their own regardless if it is an old m42, the nifty 50, or a super expensive L. I am about done with zooms at this point because of this. I also don't think any lens is "artistic" but some lenses offer more creative options and rendering that make them better tools to make "art", which as we know is in the eye of the beholder.

+1. And if I had to choose one lens in my gear, it would be the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 for bokeh & soft transitions it produces...

Titi

Canon 5D MkII + Sony A7 + 24x36 & 6x6 B&W film cameras .
CV 15 4.5 III | TS-E 24L II | FE 28 2 | (50+85) 1.4 | 135 2 | 70-200 4.0L | a collection of old Zuikos + FD + Adaptall + AI-s + M42

Jam.radonc
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 09, 2013 10:21 |  #53

Been eyeing a few Trioplans for quite sometime but they are not cheap, especially the M42 ones.

I bet after reading these threads the price is going to go up even further :)

Jam
5D3 | 450D | Panasonic DMC-LX3 | 430 EX II | ST-E2
24-70 L II | 50L | 50 1.8 I | 100L | Zeiss 35/2 ZE | Zeiss 85/2.8 | Zeiss 135/3.5
[COLOR="Silver"]Sold: 17-40L | 24L II | 85L II | 135L | Sigma 50/1.4 | 5D2

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 09, 2013 11:28 |  #54

Jam.radonc wrote in post #16513305 (external link)
Been eyeing a few Trioplans for quite sometime but they are not cheap, especially the M42 ones.

I bet after reading these threads the price is going to go up even further :)

yeah, I stopped looking at MF lenses a few years ago because I thought the cat was out of the bag and it was getting really hard to find any deals.

fast forward a couple years and all the lenses I was looking at have doubled in price :mad:

MotorPro
30 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 09, 2013 12:13 as a reply to  @ post 16509356 |  #55

Artistic comes from the 10" behind the sensor not the 10" in front of it

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 09, 2013 12:38 |  #56

MotorPro wrote in post #16513621 (external link)

This is true, but in the "spirit" of the post, I do fall in the category of people who understand what the op meant without semantics, and the bottom line is if your brain sees something that you need 1.8 to make and your lens is 4-5.6 you cannot make that art as well.

Too often it is assumed (probably rightfully so granted) that people need to spend more time perfecting their own photography and not being concerned with gear. Funny how these somewhat belittling comments are generally from people with L lenses and FF cameras....

Now that said it took me some years, but I have reached a point of not professional by any stretch, but knowledgable and capable enough to properly utilize better gear and I am finally spending on it because I know it is not a waste. I think this population of photographer is bigger than one might imagine on here.

I like the gear sections to learn before spending, but I think everyone needs to be aware and cautious of the "gear trap" that is rampant here as well.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 09, 2013 12:41 |  #57

I'd probably call my Lensbaby collection my most "artistic" lenses since I never use them for "normal" photos, but any lens can be an artists tool, just like any brush can be, from a 50ct hardwarestore brush to a hand made kolinsky sable for hundred's of $.

All are tools, nothing more, nothing less. It's what you do with them :-)

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 09, 2013 13:31 |  #58

MotorPro wrote in post #16513621 (external link)

right, because we all know you can make the same photos with a disposable camera as a hasselblad. :rolleyes:

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 09, 2013 13:37 |  #59

Jerobean wrote in post #16513495 (external link)
yeah, I stopped looking at MF lenses a few years ago because I thought the cat was out of the bag and it was getting really hard to find any deals.

fast forward a couple years and all the lenses I was looking at have doubled in price :mad:

At least you didn't sell a complete FD kit with three fast lenses for 100 bucks 3 years ago... in a good lowepro bag.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 09, 2013 13:42 |  #60

All my lenses must be defective because none of my photos are artistic.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links

14,856 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is your most artistic lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.