Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Dec 2013 (Saturday) 19:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Switched to Canon: Full time from Nikon

Dave ­ Jenkins
606 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 08, 2013 22:32 |  #31

The skin tone in the photo posted above by Roshan is fine, but the dress is cyan. If you try to correct the dress to white, the skin tone is going to become very, very red.

Dave Jenkins
<'}}}}><
My newest book: Backroads and Byways of Georgia. See it at amazon.com.
Travel and People: www.davidbjenkins.com
My award winning book: Rock City Barns: A Passing Era. 29,000 copies sold.

sponsored links
N2bnfunn
639 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 08, 2013 22:34 |  #32

Only thing I can say is " You are a very wise man" ....

Canon 1DX Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 09, 2013 06:10 |  #33

Roshan wrote in post #16511808 (external link)
Well, there's good photographers and there's the master's, Like Alex here. You can't compare people like him. His post processing is uncanny. If you took his raw files and tried to replicate what he did, it's a long struggle.

I'm not a great photographer. I'm a decent one. I don't have the post processing knowledge of some of you here. That could also be why I was having difficulties with Nikon's files. It's just too green, or too warm. Canon just has that bright, color pop, with a hint of red shift.

On people, red shift is MUCH MUCH more favorable than green shift.

One thing you need to learn as a photographer is color mangement. It is one of the essential skills to learn as a photographer. Once you master that, you can make an image look like it came from any camera. It won't matter what camera you use. ;)

Gobeatty
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 09, 2013 09:56 |  #34

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16511582 (external link)
What method do you use for manual WB? I use the Kelvin setting when I do manual WB and on the 6D it's extremely easy to adjust on the fly. I love that Q button, so beautifully simple :cool:

I agree and now do manual WB either by preset or dialing in Kelvin. The process I was referring to is shooting a white wall or object and having the camera use it to set WB. I came to the 6D from a Fuji XE-1 and setting WB based on something white was needed to get consistently usable WB. I brought that habit to the Canon and found it slow to do and then learned it isn't necessary with the Canon.

I also struggled getting the colors I wanted out of the Fuji and found I preferred the colors SOOC from our Canon Elph. My 6D is like a Super Elph and I'm very happy with the colors.

6D | 35 f2 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28 - 135 f3.5 - 5.6 | 70-210 f4

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 09, 2013 10:03 |  #35

Gobeatty wrote in post #16513234 (external link)
I agree and now do manual WB either by preset or dialing in Kelvin. The process I was referring to is shooting a white wall or object and having the camera use it to set WB. I came to the 6D from a Fuji XE-1 and setting WB based on something white was needed to get consistently usable WB. I brought that habit to the Canon and found it slow to do and then learned it isn't necessary with the Canon.

I also struggled getting the colors I wanted out of the Fuji and found I preferred the colors SOOC from our Canon Elph. My 6D is like a Super Elph and I'm very happy with the colors.

Perfect example of not learning color management. :)

I always use my X-Rite Color Checker Passport for anything I shoot. I've made color profiles for all my Cameras and it works. :) It's a useful tool.

http://xritephoto.com …uct_overview.as​px?id=1257 (external link)

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 09, 2013 10:24 |  #36

OP should have just bought a D800. That would have solved his problems.

I use a Kodak Brownie

ryanshoots
344 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 09, 2013 11:13 |  #37

Looks a bit jaundiced in some areas not in others.

@Jon_Doh - what's better about the D800 skin tones. It's still a Nikon.

@jdizzle - That's probably the answer for the person that shoots mixed brands, but if the Canon gives you 99% of what you want and will do everything else you need as well as another brand, then it seems like a time saver to just go with Canon.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 09, 2013 12:26 |  #38

ryanshoots wrote in post #16513453 (external link)

@jdizzle - That's probably the answer for the person that shoots mixed brands, but if the Canon gives you 99% of what you want and will do everything else you need as well as another brand, then it seems like a time saver to just go with Canon.

My point is that I can make Nikon files look like Canon. It doesn't matter what brand one uses. Learn color management. ;)

Roshan
THREAD ­ STARTER
319 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 09, 2013 12:59 |  #39

Jon_Doh wrote in post #16513315 (external link)
OP should have just bought a D800. That would have solved his problems.

I was really contemplating going with the D610, which has improved white balance to be like a canon. Being so used to the D700, which is a monster of a camera from a build quality point of view, I'm not sure if I want to downgrade from a feature point of view as well. There's a lot of little customizations you can do with the D700, that you can't with the D610 as some features are missing.

If Nikon took the D4 sensor, tweaked the white balance like the D610, and put it in a D800 body with 6fps, I would not switch.

It's inability to meet the demands of people like me that is causing Nikon to tank in the Nikkei.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 09, 2013 13:40 |  #40

ryanshoots wrote in post #16513453 (external link)

It's a different sensor in a different camera.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

notastockpikr
408 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 09, 2013 14:57 |  #41

I have large hands and Nikon bodies seem very small to me. Whereas, Canon bodies fit my hands netter.

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 09, 2013 15:04 |  #42

I hear you... I jumped from Canon to Sony and while I like the extended DR and having a great IQ in a small package, the skin colors are just so much better with Canon straight out of camera (at least for fair Caucasian skin). I also briefly tried Nikon and honestly hated the colors (very greenish / yellow kind of plasticky look) and disliked the ergonomics, although the later may be just due to being so used to Canon layout. I just wish Canon made a true modern full featured mirrorless, even if it had their 18MP sensor that's getting seriously long in the tooth. Canon was the only system where I could use portrait Jpegs SOOC as long as I got the exposure right. Unfortunately M and the upcoming M2 seem kind of being deliberately held back feature wise, probably so that they wouldn't make a dent in Rebel sales.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

Gobeatty
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 09, 2013 15:52 |  #43

jdizzle wrote in post #16513256 (external link)
Perfect example of not learning color management. :)

I always use my X-Rite Color Checker Passport for anything I shoot. I've made color profiles for all my Cameras and it works. :) It's a useful tool.

http://xritephoto.com …uct_overview.as​px?id=1257 (external link)

Well, maybe...if I shot raw which I usually don't. I believe Canon has a secret sauce to their files - not just colors - that I have no desire to try to replicate with a different camera. Thank you for the link - looks like a neat product.

6D | 35 f2 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28 - 135 f3.5 - 5.6 | 70-210 f4

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,152 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 09, 2013 16:05 |  #44

Gobeatty wrote in post #16514294 (external link)
Well, maybe...if I shot raw which I usually don't. I believe Canon has a secret sauce to their files - not just colors - that I have no desire to try to replicate with a different camera. Thank you for the link - looks like a neat product.

I never shoot jpegs, but if I did, that would indeed be a good reason to shoot Canon as I prefer Canon's in-camera jpeg conversion over Nikon's (I am thinking of the sooc jpeg comparisons between 5D III and D800 from various review sites like dpreview.).

There are excellent reasons for selecting one manufacturer over the other - and depending on the users unique needs/interests then Nikon might be a better fit and vice versa.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 09, 2013 16:15 |  #45

nice thread
i will try the nikon D7100 at the nikon shop soon :)

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

sponsored links

9,356 views & 0 likes for this thread
Switched to Canon: Full time from Nikon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.