Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 09 Dec 2013 (Monday) 10:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Helped needed from you compter wizards... Please!

magoosmc
980 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 09, 2013 10:10 |  #1

My computer savvy is limited - hoping someone from POTN can help out.

Long story short.... Internet Explorer 9 was giving me at lot of grief so I decided to switch to Foxfire. In the process I ended up with my browser hijacked by "aartemis".com. I can't get rid of the damn thing. I started by using the uninstall link that is on the bottom of the aartemis page - nothing. Ran Norton 360 full system scan/repair - nothing. As per Symantic's suggestion I ran Norton Power Eraser - "no problems found". Found a few suggestions here and there on the net and none of them work. Anyone know of a workable solution?? Running Windows 7 if that helps.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/22055591@N05/a​lbums (external link)

sponsored links
morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 09, 2013 11:02 |  #2

Have you read this one (external link)? My solution to clean up malware is to format and reinstall the operating system.

Dr ­ Lazarus
711 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 09, 2013 11:32 |  #3

I see it's mentioned in that how-to, but here is a direct link to Malwarebytes download -

http://download.cnet.c​om …10804572.html?t​ag=mncol;1 (external link)

Flickr (external link)

Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 09, 2013 12:44 |  #4

I agree with Dr Lazarus.
Try Malwarebytes Free version.
Uninstall anything that looks weird from your Add/Remove list in the control panel.
Go into your browser settings: Firefox > Add-Ons > under both extensions and plugins, and disable things there also if necessary.

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 09, 2013 14:52 |  #5

After you finish your scan download a few ad-ons
-No Script-This is a PITA but once you have it setup as you go, it's stops scripts from running in the background and potentially installing more malware
-Ad-Block
-Ghostery

Those are the three I install on any PC that I will mainly use.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

magoosmc
THREAD ­ STARTER
980 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 09, 2013 19:07 |  #6

Thanks for the suggestions.... I really appreciate the help.
Downloaded and ran Malwarebytes. No success.
Downloaded and ran SuperAntiSpyware. No success.
Loaded my Glock and was about to empty it into the cpu when I noticed that I had missed this post:

morph2_7 wrote in post #16513412 (external link)
Have you read this one (external link)?

It looks like a long process but now it has become a quest to beat this thing.
For what it is worth I found that aartemis is hosted by GoDaddy so I filed an "abuse" claim with them.

Vineeth
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 10, 2013 08:05 |  #7

magoosmc wrote in post #16513272 (external link)
My computer savvy is limited - hoping someone from POTN can help out.

Long story short.... Internet Explorer 9 was giving me at lot of grief so I decided to switch to Foxfire. In the process I ended up with my browser hijacked by "aartemis".com. I can't get rid of the damn thing. I started by using the uninstall link that is on the bottom of the aartemis page - nothing. Ran Norton 360 full system scan/repair - nothing. As per Symantic's suggestion I ran Norton Power Eraser - "no problems found". Found a few suggestions here and there on the net and none of them work. Anyone know of a workable solution?? Running Windows 7 if that helps.

Hello,

Sorry for the trouble. I am Vineeth and I am from the Norton Support team.

These are programs are commonly known as Potentially Unwanted Programs or PUPs and they get attached to your browser. They are not malware or viruses.

Can you go to Control Panel > Programs & Features and see whether there is an entry for this? If so, please uninstall it.

Open Internet Explorer and then click Tools > Manage Add-Ons. In the Manage Add-Ons window, disable the add-ons related Aartemis. You may not see the exact name there, uninstall any new add-on listed there.

Now in the Manage Add-Ons window, on the left pane, click Search providers and then remove the Aartemis entry and then select any of the search engines such as BING or Google and then click "Set as Default." Close the Manage Add-Ons window.

Open Internet Explorer again and then click Tools > Internet Options. On the General tab, under HomePage, remove the url listed in the box and then change it to www.Microsoft.com (external link) or www.Google.com (external link) or any site that you want to have as Homepage.

Exit Internet Explorer and re-open it again and see if it helps!

Thanks!

Vineeth
Norton Support

Bad ­ Habit
Goldmember
2,102 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 10, 2013 08:50 |  #8

If you go to the Firefox orange box at the top left, click on it and it will give you a drop box with choices. Go to Add Ons. From there you can see if it's an Extension or Plug-in that is redirecting things. You may be able to disable it from there. If you can uninstall from Control Panel, do that, but most of these don't show up there.

JR / flickr (external link)

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 10, 2013 11:04 |  #9

magoosmc wrote in post #16514777 (external link)
It looks like a long process but now it has become a quest to beat this thing.
For what it is worth I found that aartemis is hosted by GoDaddy so I filed an "abuse" claim with them.

Let us know the result.

But seriously, you still trust your PC even after you successfully "clean" the system? According to the article, this thing has rootkit capabilities to hook itself deep into the operating system. I wouldn't trust my system, not without formatting and reinstalling. I may attempt to remove it first, just for the heck of it.

magoosmc
THREAD ­ STARTER
980 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 11, 2013 15:04 |  #10

First - thanks for all of the advice!

Vineeth wrote in post #16515919 (external link)
Hello, Sorry for the trouble. I am Vineeth and I am from the Norton Support team...

Thanks for weighing in. I tried the steps that you outlined but it kept showing up after a reboot. BTW, I have used Norton for many years, both at home and work - great product.

morph2_7 wrote in post #16516294 (external link)
Let us know the result. I wouldn't trust my system, not without formatting and reinstalling.

I know what you are saying, I used to reform every year or so just to keep things running clean but it is such a pain reinstalling all of the software.

In case this happens to anyone else the steps provide by "morph2_7" DOES WORK. It did not take as long as I thought it might and seems to have been successful so far.

Thanks again to all.

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 11, 2013 16:15 |  #11

magoosmc wrote in post #16519564 (external link)
I tried the steps that you outlined but it kept showing up after a reboot.

That's malware behavior. I consider anything that keeps coming back after I remove them malware.

magoosmc wrote in post #16519564 (external link)
I know what you are saying, I used to reform every year or so just to keep things running clean but it is such a pain reinstalling all of the software.

In case this happens to anyone else the steps provide by "morph2_7" DOES WORK. It did not take as long as I thought it might and seems to have been successful so far.

Thanks again to all.

Thanks for the update. Good to know the article helps you clean up your computer.

However, I'd still go with the system reinstall if I were you. I know what you mean but I don't mind spending some time reconfiguring the system.

sponsored links

1,296 views & 0 likes for this thread
Helped needed from you compter wizards... Please!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.