Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 09 Dec 2013 (Monday) 10:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Rant

this thread is locked
aquaforester
886 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 09, 2013 12:45 |  #16

Frodge wrote in post #16513683 (external link)
I only deal with b&h. I'm not talking about trades per se. This is nothing against Helen Oster, but it's very strange, to at least me that Adorama has hired a person to search out problems with their company on the internet. Seems to me like adorama is aware that they have problems internally or there would be little need for this. Again, nothing personal against Helen. Seems like damage control. Why aren't the people that work directly at adorama resolving this? That's really my question. If the op didnt belong to an Internet forum what would happen with his dilemma? This is why I am saying damage control. It seems that this doesn't matter to adorama unless it becomes public.

I'm not really protecting anyone, but I don't agree with your statement. In this day and age it's pretty much impossible for bad service, products, etc. to not be known to anyone with a simple search. There is pretty much transparency on the internet from multiple layers of feedback, review, etc.

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear
Canon 60D, 10-18, 24 Pancake, 60 macro, 70-200 F4

sponsored links
Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 09, 2013 12:48 |  #17

HelenOster wrote in post #16513697 (external link)
You haven't 'met' Henry Posner from B&H?

He does a similar job to me - or should I say, I do a similar job to his, as he has been with B&H for a lot longer than I have been with Adorama!

And this is 2013; customers frequently prefer to communicate with businesses via Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, blogs and forums. Long gone are the days when an aggrieved customer would write to a customer service department and wait patiently up to 28 days for a response. Our customers, quite rightly, want their issues solved right away, and forums like POTN give them that opportunity!

But anyone can contact me at any time, and I can promise you they will get exactly the same level of care and attention as they do by posting here, or anywhere else.

The op made several emails and phone call attempts. So with all due respect, he prefers to call the place that he sent his camera to. I do to. If I have a problem with an order or a company I'm general, I call to see the status. It seems convoluted to complain about an order or trade you made, complain in the internet and wait for someone to find your random complaint on the internet. I think it's fair to say that if the op called and emailed several times, he shoudl have been taken care of over the phone, no?

joeseph
"smells like turd"
11,040 posts
Gallery: 200 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Dec 09, 2013 12:53 |  #18

Frodge wrote in post #16513683 (external link)
I only deal with b&h. I'm not talking about trades per se. This is nothing against Helen Oster, but it's very strange, to at least me that Adorama has hired a person to search out problems with their company on the internet. Seems to me like adorama is aware that they have problems internally or there would be little need for this. Again, nothing personal against Helen. Seems like damage control. Why aren't the people that work directly at adorama resolving this? That's really my question. If the op didnt belong to an Internet forum what would happen with his dilemma? This is why I am saying damage control. It seems that this doesn't matter to adorama unless it becomes public.

I suspect the approach for Adorama having an Internet presense is based on the number of folks who for one reason or another don't contact the supplier in the first instance. It seems all too common for folks to post about their experiences online, without having made any effort to contact the folks that can actually fix their issue...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 09, 2013 12:55 |  #19

joeseph wrote in post #16513739 (external link)
I suspect the approach for Adorama having an Internet presense is based on the number of folks who for one reason or another don't contact the supplier in the first instance. It seems all too common for folks to post about their experiences online, without having made any effort to contact the folks that can actually fix their issue...

The question remains as to why the op was not taken care of either by email or phone.

BigSkyKen
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 09, 2013 13:00 |  #20

Both are good companies and offer similar customer service. Like all companies, things go wrong sometimes, and customers get upset. I am just glad that each of these businesses is willing to invest in customer service folks like Helen and Henry.

BigSkyKen
Wildlife & Nature Blog @ His Creation (external link)

ducatiwv
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,584 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 09, 2013 13:01 as a reply to  @ joeseph's post |  #21

In all fairness to Helen, I honestly didn't know about her and would have contacted her asap , if I had known. She emailed me quickly and is working on this, which I appreciate a lot!!! The problem I have is I did contact the used dept, and sent them several emails. They emailed me a few times and called while they were trying to deal with me on the price, but after I refused and received my camera back without the grip, and I tried to email them again, it was like either they didn't believe me or didn't want to be bothered. I also emailed customer service and got no response. I m not bashing Helen, because I m glad she is here to help with problems like this and I wouldn't know what else to do without her!! Its not an expensive grip, but it works. I m sorry Helen , because I think you are doing your job and if the mods want to delete this thread its fine with me

Current Equipment list: 5d/30d/24-105 f4/L IS USM / 70-200f4L/ Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI II/sigma 10-20/canon 50 1.4

Amamba
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 09, 2013 13:23 |  #22

Frodge wrote in post #16513726 (external link)
The op made several emails and phone call attempts. So with all due respect, he prefers to call the place that he sent his camera to. I do to. If I have a problem with an order or a company I'm general, I call to see the status. It seems convoluted to complain about an order or trade you made, complain in the internet and wait for someone to find your random complaint on the internet. I think it's fair to say that if the op called and emailed several times, he shoudl have been taken care of over the phone, no?

Not to get in the middle of this, but I'd much prefer a transparent dialog with company reps on a forum or via emails over chasing someone on the phone and then having to repeat yourself again and again when you get a different person.

Phone is just so XX century ;)

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,587 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 09, 2013 13:25 |  #23

Frodge wrote in post #16513743 (external link)
The question remains as to why the op was not taken care of either by email or phone.

I'm not excusing them for a moment - but we are slap bang in the middle of the busiest fortnight of the retail year. Right now, the used department are getting 2,000+ pieces in for evaluation, every week and once in a while mistakes happen.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,587 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 09, 2013 13:27 |  #24

Amamba wrote in post #16513838 (external link)
Not to get in the middle of this, but I'd much prefer a transparent dialog with company reps on a forum or via emails over chasing someone on the phone and then having to repeat yourself again and again when you get a different person.

I think (I hope!) that anyone who has ever communicated with me over an issue has always been and will continue to be, confident that I will tirelessly oversee any issue I'm involved with right to the end.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 09, 2013 13:28 |  #25

Amamba wrote in post #16513838 (external link)

I hope you're joking. You would rather post on the internet and hope the internet rep finds your post? Phone is simple. Call, explain and resolve. The thread shouldn't be deleted IMHO. There is a pattern.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
12,208 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 09, 2013 13:34 |  #26

It would certainly be ideal if the department at Adorama that the OP was dealing with would resolve his concern. But, it is absurd to complain if a fellow POTN member and Adorama employee jumps in and helps out. The OP is having a concern with Adorama and Adorama (in the form of Helen Oster) is dealing with the problem. What in the world is wrong with that? :confused:

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony: α7R II | Sony: 24GM, 12-24G, 24-105G, 200-600G | Sigma Art: 14-24, 35 F1.2, 105 Macro | Zeiss Batis: 85, 135 | Zeiss Loxia: 21, 35, 85 | Voigtländer: 12

WaltA
Goldmember
3,868 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 09, 2013 13:35 |  #27

Frodge wrote in post #16513854 (external link)
I hope you're joking. You would rather post on the internet and hope the internet rep finds your post? Phone is simple. Call, explain and resolve. The thread shouldn't be deleted IMHO. There is a pattern.

Nope, we're saying that Henry and Helen are fulfilling a great role here on POTN. One more thing that makes us GREAT! Regular POTN users all know that Helen and Henry are here and available to help us if other channels fail.

One more channel to reach some customer support is a good thing.

It seems a little out of place to rant at someone who is trying to help out a fellow POTN user.

Edit: Did someone suggest this thread should be deleted?

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

kipliq
752 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 09, 2013 13:41 |  #28

I found many B&H customer rants online looking for help,I guess B&H is a bad company. Mistakes happen no company is perfect. I once purchased a lens from Adorama and then it went on sale. They returned the difference with no questions ask. So did B&H both are great companies. Helen and Henry are a++ in my book for having the extra service.

"Space Mountain may be the oldest ride in the park, but it has the longest line." - Ric Flair

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,269 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 09, 2013 13:48 |  #29

If you hang around these forums long enough you will find multiple threads where a user with unrealistic expectations of an online vendor. I've seen online vendors taken to task because the user ordered after the deadline for shipping and then was angry that they didnt get same day shipping. Others argue over reasonable return limits and whether a single finger print on a new body causes something to be damaged or used goods. Irrespective of the OP (who I have found to be very reasonable) it would irresponsible for companies like Adorama and B&H not to have online ombudsman to respond to legitimate complaints, and deflate the unreasonable ones. Saying that poor initial service is the reason Adorama needs Helen is very short sighted. All I can say is thank goodness that Helen starts with a mindset of fixing the problem rather than affixing the blame as so many of us tend to do.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 09, 2013 13:53 |  #30

Like I said. His is nothing personal against Helen whatsoever. People seem to see what they want to see. I thought I prefaced that in my earlier posts. I also never complained that the op was beig helped in this manner. My concern is that adorama, who we are talking about in this thread, let's it get to this extent. He didn't complain here first. He emailed and made phone calls. Let's use the facts at hand.

sponsored links

8,019 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adorama Rant
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.