Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Dec 2013 (Monday) 09:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo Software?

Tom ­ Watson
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 09, 2013 09:16 |  #1

I'm looking for a recommendation on a free/cheap software program (not iPhoto) that allows me to quickly view, tag, rank, and delete photos. It needs to be software on my computer (not in the cloud). Reason for this is that I'm finally going to organize my 13 years of family photos. I work off a MacBook Pro.

Thanks for your help!
Tom

sponsored links
RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 09, 2013 09:25 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Gimp for a free photo editing software?

Photoshop Elements for a cheap photo editing software

Lightroom is fairly inexpensive compared to the full blown Photoshop

Tom ­ Watson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 09, 2013 09:29 |  #3

Thanks Rich. I'm not really looking for an editing program at the moment (I have Aperture). My main goal is to be able to work through about 14,000 images as quickly as I can and delete bad ones, tag family members, and rank the pictures I like best.

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,802 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 09, 2013 09:55 as a reply to  @ Tom Watson's post |  #4

Try Picasa. Good for family photos. Runs face recognition.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 09, 2013 09:59 |  #5

=Tom Watson;16513133 I work off a MacBook Pro.

Got a PC somewhere? Phototheca — free photo management software for Windows 8/7/Vista/XP
http://lunarship.com/ (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

nordlysBW
369 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 09, 2013 12:33 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #6

XnView, Irfan View?

DunnoWhen
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 09, 2013 14:22 as a reply to  @ nordlysBW's post |  #7

What's wrong with using Aperture?

My wisdom is learned from the experience of others.

Tom ­ Watson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 09, 2013 14:38 |  #8

DunnoWhen wrote in post #16514033 (external link)
What's wrong with using Aperture?

The application has been on the slow side for me in the past. It could be b/c of the amount of the data I had on my computer but now that it has been moved to an external hard drive it will run a little fast.

Has Aperture not been slow for you on a laptop?

DunnoWhen
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 09, 2013 14:47 |  #9

Tom Watson wrote in post #16514081 (external link)
The application has been on the slow side for me in the past. It could be b/c of the amount of the data I had on my computer but now that it has been moved to an external hard drive it will run a little fast.

Has Aperture not been slow for you on a laptop?

I switched to LR a few years ago.:)

... But I will be interested to see what Aperture 4 has when (if) it comes along ( which might even be this month if the rumours prove to be true).

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 09, 2013 18:24 |  #10

I've used Picasa for this before. I like that it stores details in the same directory as the photo's (XML file) and face recognition works quite well too.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

RunAmok
96 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 09, 2013 20:12 |  #11

Keep an eye out for a Lightroom sale. It was recently $69 for the full version.

Canon 7D + grip | EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS | EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | EF 400 f/5.6L
flickr (external link)

Aki78
963 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 09, 2013 20:14 |  #12

Free CS2 here: http://www.techspot.co​m …-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html (external link)

Windows or Mac

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,060 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 10, 2013 03:53 |  #13

I was with you till you said free :( I use Aperture and couldn't rate it high enough! could you aquire it? lol

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

DunnoWhen
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 10, 2013 03:56 |  #14

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #16515622 (external link)
I was with you till you said free :( I use Aperture and couldn't rate it high enough! could you aquire it? lol

In post #3 he states that he has it :-)

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,044 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Dec 10, 2013 21:31 |  #15

Tom Watson wrote in post #16513133 (external link)
I'm looking for a recommendation on a free/cheap software program that allows me to quickly view, tag, rank, and delete photos.

My main goal is to be able to work through about 14,000 images as quickly as I can and delete bad ones, tag family members, and rank the pictures I like best.

It needs to be software on my computer (not in the cloud).

I work off a MacBook Pro.

Tom Watson wrote in post #16513163 (external link)
(not iPhoto)

When I see all of the requirements that you list, it seems as if iPhoto would be absolutely perfect for you, with no shortcomings whatsoever. Yet you specifically say that you will not accept iPhoto as a solution. That is surprising to me.

I have 33,000 images on my iPhoto, all large RAW files, and it works wonderfully fast and easily, despite the fact that my computer is very under-powered with only 1 gig of memory. All other programs on my computer - Aperture, LightRoom, and Photoshop - are painfully slow. But iPhoto is blazingly fast, despite the huge amount of data I have fed it. Full screen/large window image views are generated rapidly, allowing me to go thru 1,000s of images quickly.

Might I ask why you choose not to use iPhoto for the tasks you need to perform? What, specifically is the shortcoming?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

3,497 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo Software?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.