Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 09 Dec 2013 (Monday) 04:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is this a solid PC for editing? (building my own)

yamatama
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 09, 2013 04:53 |  #1

Hey guys

So i have being doing research and getting to know a little bit more in this topic of computers. With a little bit of help we came up with this:

PCPartPicker part list (external link) / Price breakdown by merchant (external link) / Benchmarks (external link)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (external link) ($176.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (external link) ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (external link) ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (external link) ($79.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (external link) ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (external link) ($160.00 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (external link) ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (external link) ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (external link) ($17.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (external link) ($82.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $774.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-09 05:49 EST-0500)

Is this a solid list? will i be ok with i5? It will be mainly for using Lightroom and PS.

Nikon D750, 35 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G
My website www.williamdelacruz.co​m (external link)
FB like page https://www.facebook.c​om/WilliamDeLaCruzPhot​o (external link)

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 09, 2013 05:58 |  #2

i5s are solid little rigs. I haven't seen any really firm tests on the matter, but what I have read suggests that Photoshop does not greatly benefit from hyper threading in most cases (one of the main advantages the i7s have over i5s. Basically 'doubles' the cores available to do calculations, but it isn't perfect.)

Number crunching wise it looks like it comes out similar to my personal system. Biggest slow down seems to be drive access for doing large numbers of photos (such as what I can pull down from a long sports session if I'm not paying attention to how free I am with the shutter button.) which can really bog things down. I'm loading images off disk drives currently, which is my main bottle neck in sorting large (200+) photos. I would expect it to run reasonably well, and be especially smooth with the OS running off that solid state.

Case leaves you lots of room to expand, so adding a second solid state as a work-space drive will be a very good option down the road if you are finding load times are lower than you would like. Import photos to the work-space drive, move to the 'archive' drive when done processing them to free up SSD space.

Boxing day is just around the corner if you're willing to put up with the stress and headaches of trying to order limited door crasher online specials.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

CallumRD1
430 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 09, 2013 09:13 as a reply to  @ Luckless's post |  #3

You may want to consider 16GB of RAM, as photoshop can eat it when working on large images, such as panoramas and focus stacks. It is also fairly inexpensive to do and can be added at any time, so it would make sense to build it as you described, then see if you could use any more RAM.

Canon EOS R | EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM • RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro • RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

California ­ Dog
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 09, 2013 09:22 |  #4

more more more more RAM!!!!!!! *don't think it would hurt any to have 12GB of Memory,**at a MINIMUM if using all that Photoslop (I meant, my lovely PhotoSHOP) typo.. sorry...

If your particular memory brand has specs / speed you like, then try to purchase at least 4GB quicker*. If you CAN SSI it, for memory and have the room, I would do it.

I have a decent sized article right here from a world renowned Lightroom (and other books) author that I could some how relay to you if you hit me up privately.

See ya!

PS, KILLER PRICE AND GRRRRREAT FOR YOU! (In my Tony the Tiger voice)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 09, 2013 10:14 |  #5

Get rid of the video card since it's unnecessary and get 16 GB of RAM.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 09, 2013 12:48 |  #6

Tony-S wrote in post #16513279 (external link)
Get rid of the video card since it's unnecessary

Assuming you don't, you know, want any features offered by a video card, such as for things like gaming, more flexible monitor setups, etc. Just because something is 'mainly' used for one thing doesn't mean it is never used for another.

My home computer is mainly used for processing advanced AI tests and simulating UAVs. It also is used to sort and process photos and play games now and then.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 09, 2013 13:29 |  #7

Luckless wrote in post #16513725 (external link)
Assuming you don't, you know, want any features offered by a video card, such as for things like gaming, more flexible monitor setups, etc. Just because something is 'mainly' used for one thing doesn't mean it is never used for another. My home computer is mainly used for processing advanced AI tests and simulating UAVs. It also is used to sort and process photos and play games now and then.

From the OP:

yamatama wrote in post #16512843 (external link)
It will be mainly for using Lightroom and PS.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

DJ ­ JIGGLER
260 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 09, 2013 14:22 |  #8

One of the first things i would try to upgrade is to a i7 and maybe more ram..

Canon 5D MKII Gripped, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS 50mm f/1.4, Extender EF 1.4X III, 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 580EX II x2, 600EX-RT

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 09, 2013 14:33 |  #9

Tony-S wrote in post #16513279 (external link)
Get rid of the video card since it's unnecessary and get 16 GB of RAM.

I'd partially agree with this, Ps does have features that use the GPU, but I would still move towards 16GB of ram before I went for a more serious graphics card.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Geonerd
542 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2009

Dec 09, 2013 16:15 |  #10

Yea, getting another 8GB is the one significant 'suggestion' I'd make.

I'd pass on the video card too. Wait until your main apps make meaningful use of the vast GPU/Compute power available on today's graphics cards, then buy the card that offers the best bang-for-the-buck. Until then, integrated video on the mobo will do fine. (If you need a multi-monitor setup, get a budget card for now.)

Personally, I'd spend another ~$30 on the Mobo - to some extent, you do get what you pay for. I'm slightly allergic to MSI as well, although there are millions of happy users out there.

Are you game to overclock the chip a little?

1000arms
862 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 09, 2013 16:19 |  #11

“Optimizing Hardware Systems for Adobe® Premiere, After Effects, SpeedGrade, and PS"

You might look at POTN thread “Optimizing Hardware Systems for Adobe® Premiere, After Effects, SpeedGrade, and PS" found at https://photography-on-the.net …t=1283184&highl​ight=adobe

The white paper linked in the first post is from Adobe. Scroll down to the PhotoShop section to learn about the impacts of hyperthreading, the right video card, and RAM for CS6.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 09, 2013 16:25 |  #12

Tony-S wrote in post #16513857 (external link)
From the OP:

Exactly, mainly does not mean only.

And I've not seen many motherboards that do well driving 2 high resolution monitors. The original poster may be able to do away with the addition of a graphics card, or they may be able to do with a far cheaper one. Generally if someone adds a graphics card that is more than $100 to their shopping cart, then they usually had a use for it in mind that a far cheaper one wasn't expected to do for them.

Ram usage is also going to depend on how large and complex an image they are working with in photoshop, and what methods they are using. I have 16GB of ram, and play with photos frequently, however I have yet to raise system usage over 8 GB for general usage, and only pass that line when working on scientific projects that gobble every drop of RAM they can get their greedy little pointers on.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 09, 2013 17:26 |  #13

Luckless wrote in post #16514412 (external link)

The OP's main use is Photoshop and Lightroom. The HD3000 is plenty for driving two 1920x1200 displays for his purposes. If he does other things that may be more demanding, then they don't seem important enough to list them here.

And I've not seen many motherboards that do well driving 2 high resolution monitors. The original poster may be able to do away with the addition of a graphics card, or they may be able to do with a far cheaper one.

For most people and most applications, an HD3000 is plenty. The cpu is much more important for photo work on a Windows computer.

Generally if someone adds a graphics card that is more than $100 to their shopping cart, then they usually had a use for it in mind that a far cheaper one wasn't expected to do for them.

Until the OP chimes in, that's just speculation.

Ram usage is also going to depend on how large and complex an image they are working with in photoshop, and what methods they are using. I have 16GB of ram, and play with photos frequently, however I have yet to raise system usage over 8 GB for general usage, and only pass that line when working on scientific projects that gobble every drop of RAM they can get their greedy little pointers on.

I understand that Win 7 is quite the RAM hog, so considering the cost and performance, I'd rather invest money in RAM than in a video card.

yamatama
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 09, 2013 19:00 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #14

Wow thanks for all this information, Im excited to see how this turns out.

Geonerd wrote in post #16514370 (external link)
Yea, getting another 8GB is the one significant 'suggestion' I'd make.

I'd pass on the video card too. Wait until your main apps make meaningful use of the vast GPU/Compute power available on today's graphics cards, then buy the card that offers the best bang-for-the-buck. Until then, integrated video on the mobo will do fine. (If you need a multi-monitor setup, get a budget card for now.)

Personally, I'd spend another ~$30 on the Mobo - to some extent, you do get what you pay for. I'm slightly allergic to MSI as well, although there are millions of happy users out there.

Are you game to overclock the chip a little?

Thanks for posting, wich one would you recommend?

Luckless wrote in post #16514412 (external link)

And I've not seen many motherboards that do well driving 2 high resolution monitors. The original poster may be able to do away with the addition of a graphics card, or they may be able to do with a far cheaper one. Generally if someone adds a graphics card that is more than $100 to their shopping cart, then they usually had a use for it in mind that a far cheaper one wasn't expected to do for them.

Hey, Thanks for posting, well to be honest like Ive said in my first post I had no idea what i was doing, I picked up the video card because i thought that it was necessary for the needs i had... Now I know i dont need one and yeah.. besides editing photos and searching the web i dont do nothing else.

So by reading the comments I would be better off ditching the Video card and adding more RAM?

Thanks again for all this help.. like I said Im really committed to doing this.

Nikon D750, 35 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G
My website www.williamdelacruz.co​m (external link)
FB like page https://www.facebook.c​om/WilliamDeLaCruzPhot​o (external link)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 09, 2013 23:13 |  #15

yamatama wrote in post #16514759 (external link)
Wow thanks for all this information, Im excited to see how this turns out.

Thanks for posting, wich one would you recommend?

Hey, Thanks for posting, well to be honest like Ive said in my first post I had no idea what i was doing, I picked up the video card because i thought that it was necessary for the needs i had... Now I know i dont need one and yeah.. besides editing photos and searching the web i dont do nothing else.

So by reading the comments I would be better off ditching the Video card and adding more RAM?

Thanks again for all this help.. like I said Im really committed to doing this.

Indeed. As for motherboards, ASUS and Gigabyte are your best bets.

Kel
Gear

sponsored links

5,097 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is this a solid PC for editing? (building my own)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.