Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Nov 2013 (Monday) 20:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #460 Man's (woman's) Best Friend

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Dec 03, 2013 05:27 as a reply to  @ post 16496807 |  #16

:)
Congratulations to the winner Cory, a beautiful and wonderful picture
and congratulations to Michael & NorthantsNin.really really lovely shots and all the pets entries. welcome Kingsman too, a beautiful dog (including Santa, a pet of everyones) :cool:
Many thanks Spoco for hosting, judging and for all the comments
great entries so a difficult one for the host
Our dog died a few years ago. (not the pet in the photo entry)
she had been attacked one evening I was out with her on the plains (with a lead attached ) attacked by a big black dog (with its owner, he who was most kind after ,helping with Foxy's hopeful recovery ,over some time)
Foxy had to have a few operations on her torn back leg ligament . sadly she never really recovered after the shock of the attack
it was a shame but maybe she would have died anyway. we had her 11 great years. a lovely sensitive kind dog
she was a stray who followed me home 11 years before (after our other dog died of stroke) I tried to find the owner of Foxy but people said she seemed to have been dumped out on the plains . I brought her home in the bicycle basket ( fairly slow riding) one hand holding on to her as the wind blew her lovely ears back
the doggy photo I posted (Milo) always waits on his owner outside the church
a lovely quiet fellow always ready for pats and luv
: )
many thanks
gorgrous pets all

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

sponsored links
corythosaurus
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 03, 2013 07:55 |  #17

Thanks for the top honor Steve! Hosting and judging can be a difficult task especially with so many good looking 'friends'. Luna is still a pup at 18 months and was amazed I could actually get her to sit still for a moment.

Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

rpolitsr
5,951 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 03, 2013 13:27 |  #18

Congratulations to the winners. Nice pets posted!
Great pictures all and a heartbreaking history, marie.

I did my attempt for this week, but failed. :(

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/460_Chica_CRW_0388_600.jpg

There was a Birthday party for a sister of mine in the large garden of a brother's house.
'Chica' is the absolute owner of the garden. She is very young and somewhat wild, as Maureen's 'Jack'. After chasing the football (soccer) ball and several lovely and hard attempts to play with the kids, she got a temporary rope tied to her neck chain while people enjoyed hamburgers.
She was never still. While tied, I got several blurred pictures not suited for the challenge. The best one, in a small copy, before the blur can be seen, is this one.

Nice challenge Spoco57. I hope to have an entry in the next one, Cory.

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Michael ­ Wells
932 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 03, 2013 21:47 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #19

I can definitely sympathize Rafael! Sadie is a rescue dog that we've had for about a year and a half now. She is a real sweetie, but wants nothing to do with the camera. I was really surprised to get the shot I did, as she was not a happy model!

Michael Wells
G9, 5D,Grip,70-200 2.8 IS,24-70,400 5.6

Spoco57
THREAD ­ STARTER
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 04, 2013 07:04 |  #20

I had a quick education about the fact that 'judging' photos like this takes one beyond the pixels and into personality. The friendship and love that were characterized in these shots, and the stories behind them (e.g. Marie... so touching; MichaelWells... surprising inasmuch as Sadie is smiling) put me suddenly into the realm of trying to suss out character, bonds, affection etc. What is actually being portrayed is multidimensional and the more I look at people's pet photos the more I realize that picking winners based solely on photographic critique is nigh well impossible. I enjoyed the photos immensely. I hated the job of selecting one to be a 'winner'. Thanks again.

Steve

corythosaurus
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 04, 2013 09:16 |  #21

Spoco57 wrote in post #16500447 (external link)
I had a quick education about the fact that 'judging' photos like this takes one beyond the pixels and into personality. The friendship and love that were characterized in these shots, and the stories behind them (e.g. Marie... so touching; MichaelWells... surprising inasmuch as Sadie is smiling) put me suddenly into the realm of trying to suss out character, bonds, affection etc. What is actually being portrayed is multidimensional and the more I look at people's pet photos the more I realize that picking winners based solely on photographic critique is nigh well impossible. I enjoyed the photos immensely. I hated the job of selecting one to be a 'winner'. Thanks again.

Steve

Well stated, and I wholly concur with the difficulties.

Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,031 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 04, 2013 18:51 |  #22

Spoco57 wrote in post #16500447 (external link)

Steve

We have all been there. I have changed my mind often when judging & it is so hard to pick a winner when you like everything:D

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 09, 2013 01:47 as a reply to  @ Maureen Souza's post |  #23

Here is Bob, checking in with an explanation.
I have not been around for a bit to participate in the challenges as I love to do.
Work dried up for me and I had to hook up the RV trailer and head out to Alberta to work and make a few bucks.
I have been living in this thing in temperatures well below freezing, having a tying time surviving here and making money. 2 nights ago - minus 32C. Ugh Travel trailer and pipes freezing, going through a lot of propane.

Anyhow, thats why I have not been here for the competitions.

I miss it and miss the participating with all you wonderful guys and gals.

I hope to be home in a week and a half or so.
I'll try to get back on board again when I'm home, but may have to come back here after Christmas.

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

Michael ­ Wells
932 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 09, 2013 07:01 as a reply to  @ BobsYourUncle's post |  #24

Be careful out there Bob-cold can get ugly fast! Check in when you can!

Michael Wells
G9, 5D,Grip,70-200 2.8 IS,24-70,400 5.6

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 10, 2013 01:43 |  #25

Michael Wells wrote in post #16512926 (external link)
Be careful out there Bob-cold can get ugly fast! Check in when you can!

Thanks Michael, I'll be back!

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

sponsored links

5,118 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #460 Man's (woman's) Best Friend
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.