Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Dec 2013 (Saturday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is your most artistic lens?

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 09, 2013 16:29 |  #76

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16513923 (external link)
That's cause you hang out on here too much and don't shoot enough. Pot calling kettle...

Probably. Too much internet not enough walking around shooting random doors and pretending it's original.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links
Advanced_AP2
28 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 09, 2013 17:26 |  #77

n1as wrote in post #16509070 (external link)
What lens do you find consistently gives you the best artistic results and why?

Is your most artistic lens also your optically best lens?

In my opinion, my Canon 50 1.4 gives me the best artistic results… it's light, fast, cost effective, and not too intimidating to my human subjects compared to bulkier lenses. For these reasons, I'm able to focus on being creative with my images since I can take this lens with me anywhere without fear of dropping it, getting damaged, losing it, etc. It's easily replaceable if I break it.

I don't feel it is optically the best lens in my bag but the IQ is very good for my purposes.

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 09, 2013 17:38 |  #78

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16514205 (external link)
It sounds to me like your aesthetic judgements place a huge emphasis on technical aspects, the bokeh in particular. While I'm fully capable of seeing differences from one bokeh to another, those differences have near to nil effect on my judgment regarding whether a given photo is good.

Yeah, the technical aspects are very important for me. Onion ring bokeh from Canon 85/1.2L or normal wideangle bokeh from something 24/1.4 is a "no go" for me for a good image. It is ok for documentation. I do very often think how would this or that image look with a different kind of bokeh, or sometimes how would it be with more blur, or a curvature of field.

But for sure I do not think this is the only possible way to work - but it is my way at the moment.

I know pictures that are great - and I don´t care about the technique behind.
Even some of my older images made with some boring AF lenses, probably even a zoom are quite good for my thinking.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

coogee
172 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 09, 2013 17:55 |  #79

My TS-E 90mm is probably what I'd consider my most 'artistic' lens. It makes me think differently about focal plane and composition. Whether it actually makes more pleasing images 'artistically' is obviously hugely subjective and no doubt the way I use it annoys the crap out of some purists. But I definitely find myself using it in a more artistic/less documentary way.

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3730/11189508844_3500229a57_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/dylansworld/11​189508844/  (external link)
4 Dec 2013 - Sydney Opera House - New South Wales - Australia (external link)

I've been contemplating sacrificing it to (part) fund the 85LII, but I just don't think I can part with it as it is so unique.

More generally, I suppose the original question is not really about the 'tool', but more about how you use it/how it inspires you to use it?

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 09, 2013 19:54 |  #80

cdifoto wrote in post #16514424 (external link)
Probably. Too much internet not enough walking around shooting random doors and pretending it's original.

It doesn't have to be a door. There's also the park bench...

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sjones
Goldmember
2,222 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 10, 2013 05:40 |  #81

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16514865 (external link)

Or any other person, place, thing, event, occurrence, or happening.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,481 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 10, 2013 06:35 |  #82

ZoneV wrote in post #16512698 (external link)
+1

The Meyer Goerlitz Trioplan 100 (external link) has a nearly unique feature with its over corrected spherical abberation. As far I know no Canon EF lens could do this.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

quick question - I REALLY love thos pics with the Meyer Görlitz Trioplan 100 f2.8. I started looking for one but with all sorts of hits on ebay that I couldn't understand how to attach it to my canon body. How did you do this? Thanks...and thanks for the inspiration...!

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 10, 2013 07:36 |  #83

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16514865 (external link)

With old people holding hands sitting on them. In silhouette.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 10, 2013 09:22 |  #84

ceriltheblade wrote in post #16515770 (external link)
quick question - I REALLY love thos pics with the Meyer Görlitz Trioplan 100 f2.8. I started looking for one but with all sorts of hits on ebay that I couldn't understand how to attach it to my canon body. How did you do this? Thanks...and thanks for the inspiration...!

Thank you ceriltheblade!

There are the M42 mount versions of the lens. You buy a M42 adapter for your camera, and screw the lens inside this adapter. And now both on your camera.
In case you own a Canon EOS it is very simple.
In case of other camera systems buy a M42 adapter without lens inside - you will probably loose inifity, but win the full lens quality and effect!

With the Exacta mount versions of the lens it is harder, end you will loose infinity with EF EOS cameras. With EF-S cameras you have most likely infinity - depends on adapter. Probably a big arm gives problems while mounting the lens.

So M42 is easy - but more expensive. On my website are some much cheaper alternatives.
I have the Trioplan 100 with M42 mount - so very easy. Furthermore I have a Diaplan 100 and Pentacon AV 100 with homemade mount.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

garbidz
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 10, 2013 11:29 |  #85

the 35 mm f/1.4

bag

gotaudi
720 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 10, 2013 12:53 |  #86

For me my eye is the most artistic lens...

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 10, 2013 12:54 as a reply to  @ gotaudi's post |  #87

I almost took a pic of my eye and posted it but was avoiding being a smartass:lol:

Surprised it took this many pages for that comment!

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

MotorPro
30 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 10, 2013 13:42 |  #88

Jerobean wrote in post #16513868 (external link)
right, because we all know you can make the same photos with a disposable camera as a hasselblad. :rolleyes:

You are confussing artistry with IQ. A low resolution well composed interresting shot is much more artistic then a high IQ boring shot.

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 10, 2013 13:44 |  #89

MotorPro wrote in post #16516673 (external link)
You are confussing artistry with IQ. A low resolution well composed interresting shot is much more artistic then a high IQ boring shot.

no i'm commenting on the statement that the only thing that matters is who is behind the camera.

a great photographer can take nice photos with any gear, but there is a point when gear matters, lets not pretend otherwise.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 10, 2013 13:48 |  #90

Jerobean wrote in post #16516678 (external link)
a great photographer can take nice photos with any gear, but there is a point when gear matters, lets not pretend otherwise.

Nobody says gear doesn't matter. But it's not related to art, most of the time.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sponsored links

15,243 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is your most artistic lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.