Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 09:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shipping a lens

jamie_s_72
78 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 10, 2013 09:11 |  #1

Hey everyone. I was wondering about the way I've done it in the past and the way you do it. If you are selling and providing free shipping on say a $650 lens how would you ship it? Would you go standard parcel with no insurance or Priority or what?
I've sold a couple lens on here in the past and have paid for shipping. What I've done is ship it priority with the proper amount of insurance. I want to know that the person who bought me lens is being taken care of and in the worse case scenario they would get a refund.
So how do you do it?
I'm asking because I bought a lens on here a couple weeks ago and it's still not arrived. In fact it's not been scanned since the 3rd. I understand it's a busy time of year but upon finding out it was sent the cheapest way possible doesn't soften the blow any. Of course looking back I wish I would have made that clear during the purchase. I paid the amount asked plus the PP fees so I assumed wrong in thinking the seller would ship it properly.
Am I out of line here?

sponsored links
ZombiesAreComing
30 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 10, 2013 09:24 |  #2

It depends who it's being shipped by. USPSis the worst. They scan once and your lucky if u get an update scan . I waited for my lens I bought and it had departure scan and being delivered that's it. That's one if many usps stories I have

People think i run as a hobby, I run so that when the zombies come, they won't catch me

jamie_s_72
THREAD ­ STARTER
78 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 10, 2013 09:58 |  #3

Ya they shipped USPS so I sit and I wait.

ZombiesAreComing
30 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 10, 2013 10:04 |  #4

Have u tried contacting seller?

People think i run as a hobby, I run so that when the zombies come, they won't catch me

RunAmok
96 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 10, 2013 10:08 |  #5

That's a really long time. I sent an item to CA from VA via first class (not a lens), and it arrived in 2 days.

I do send lenses via priority with insurance. If a buyer gets a broken lens or doesn't get the lens, and I get a broken lens back (or it's a loss), I want to be covered. Sellers often ask buyers to pay for insurance, but I feel it's in the seller's best interest to insure. Paypal is usually going to side with the buyer.

Canon 7D + grip | EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS | EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | EF 400 f/5.6L
flickr (external link)

ZombiesAreComing
30 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 10, 2013 10:26 |  #6

Well kind of a long time. Normally people ship the cheapest. And when it's scanned it doesn't ship out till the next business day. So I Jamie's case the 4th. Give it one more day gen contact seller

chinabuddie
205 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 10, 2013 10:27 |  #7

You say "the 3rd".. are you saying December 3rd? because that is just a week ago. With all the snow storms going on, it probably delayed the shipment

Canon 6D | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L | Canon 24-105 f/4L IS | Canon 100 f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon 50 f/1.8 II | Kenko Extension Tubes | Canon Speedlite 430ex | Benro 2691TB-1 Tripod | Crumpler Karachi Bag | some filters, batteries, memory cards..etc.etc.

jamie_s_72
THREAD ­ STARTER
78 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 10, 2013 11:27 |  #8

It was scheduled to be delivered yesterday but I understand that it's a busy time of the year for the PO. The last time it was scanned was when it was in NJ and it's being shipped to OK. I have contacted the seller and he's kinda like I am playing the waiting game. I am just a little shocked that he sent it the cheapest possible way with no insurance. I think if your going to ship an expensive item that it's in your best interest to do it in a reasonable manner. Just my 2 cents worth. I sure wish I would have had this conversation with him prior to it being shipped. Lesson learned

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 10, 2013 11:29 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

I have heard horror stories about USPS Insurance. They will weasel out of it if they can. Basic argument is they don't know how well you packaged the item so it isn't their fault.

But I still use them for USPS Priority. Gets there in two days air. Faster means less people handling product and less chance of damage.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 10, 2013 11:44 |  #10

where are you and where is the lens coming from? 2 weeks is not good. I had a shipment delayed last week for weather, it was coming from Kalif and got stuck in Salt Lake ****ty. It was UPS, so it had good tracking on it. I have shipped lenses via USPS Priority Mail with signature and UPS. Cheaper lenses I'll usually ship USPS Priority with insurance, the bigger ones I've sold (85L, 300L 2.8) typically go UPS and I buy enough insurance to get a new one if they screw up.
In your case, I'd contact the seller.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 10, 2013 15:37 |  #11

Funny thing is, most oftern, USPS Priority 2/3 Day is less expensive then Parcel Post. Especially if you use a flat rate box.

I ship and receive lots and lots of stuff via the USPS. I know many will scoff at this, but I have never had them actually lose or damage a package in 14 years. And I find the tracking decent enough.

OP, one option you han do is go into your local post office with the tracking number, and they can do a trace on it for you. Except for the long lines, it will only take about 2 minutes for them to do it. The USPS website doesn't update every single scan.

Also, with the weather the way it has been, it doesn't surprise me that there is a delay. Parcel post goes via truck, and Priority Mail is via plane in most cases. Tracks have to drive in the miserable weather, which can slow things down for days. Planes it's usually hours or a day at the worst.

Monday 12/3, I shipped a package Priority to Hawaii (from Florida), it got there on Wednesday. At the same time, a package was shipped to me from CA parcel post. It got to me today.

The seller/sender should certainly have paid for insurance, but since you purchased as a gift, he probably figured he won't be out anything if something happens, which is an appalling attitude, but it takes all kinds.

I would do as you're doing, and sit tight for another day or two.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 10, 2013 15:59 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

Insurance is to protect the seller, not buyer. If he wants to roll the dice with no insurance it's up to him.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 10, 2013 17:58 |  #13

jamie_s_72 wrote in post #16516042 (external link)
Hey everyone. I was wondering about the way I've done it in the past and the way you do it. If you are selling and providing free shipping on say a $650 lens how would you ship it? Would you go standard parcel with no insurance or Priority or what?
I've sold a couple lens on here in the past and have paid for shipping. What I've done is ship it priority with the proper amount of insurance. I want to know that the person who bought me lens is being taken care of and in the worse case scenario they would get a refund.
So how do you do it?

UPS with some insurance

jamie_s_72
THREAD ­ STARTER
78 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 10, 2013 20:12 |  #14

KirkS518 wrote in post #16516946 (external link)
Funny thing is, most oftern, USPS Priority 2/3 Day is less expensive then Parcel Post. Especially if you use a flat rate box.

I ship and receive lots and lots of stuff via the USPS. I know many will scoff at this, but I have never had them actually lose or damage a package in 14 years. And I find the tracking decent enough.

OP, one option you han do is go into your local post office with the tracking number, and they can do a trace on it for you. Except for the long lines, it will only take about 2 minutes for them to do it. The USPS website doesn't update every single scan.

Also, with the weather the way it has been, it doesn't surprise me that there is a delay. Parcel post goes via truck, and Priority Mail is via plane in most cases. Tracks have to drive in the miserable weather, which can slow things down for days. Planes it's usually hours or a day at the worst.

Monday 12/3, I shipped a package Priority to Hawaii (from Florida), it got there on Wednesday. At the same time, a package was shipped to me from CA parcel post. It got to me today.

The seller/sender should certainly have paid for insurance, but since you purchased as a gift, he probably figured he won't be out anything if something happens, which is an appalling attitude, but it takes all kinds.

I would do as you're doing, and sit tight for another day or two.

I didn't gift it, it was marked paid for goods.

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 11, 2013 09:37 |  #15

Everything I sell camera wise, I ship Priority Mail with the purchase price insured. I accept PayPal only, non-gift option. I adjust the asking price for the 3% PayPal fees. I use USPS flat rate boxes as well.

Sure you can save a few bucks by shipping Parcel Post, or non-insured, or by accepting PayPal gift. But at the end of the day, I want to protect myself as much as I can and a few bucks isn't worth the headache of cheaping out.

Current Gear: Sony a6400, Sony 18-105 f/4, Sony 20mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 56mm f/1.4
HEX Brand Ranger Clamshell Backpack, Ranger Sling

sponsored links

1,798 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shipping a lens
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.