Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 20 Dec 2010 (Monday) 18:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shoot in the Snow

Sagerauru
46 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 20, 2010 18:54 |  #1

Tomorrow my friend will be stopping by my house to do some photos in the snow in my yard. It's going to be fun, but I honestly am a little lost when it comes to the idea department and setting the shots up. Could anyone recommend some example photos to look through to get the creative juices flowing? I am having no luck with searching through Google or Flickr for some inspiration. :(

500px (external link) | dA (external link) | Me (external link) | Gear

sponsored links
RocketShipsandStars
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 07, 2013 02:51 |  #2

I should probably give more technical advice but sometimes simple is even better. Have fun with it, relax and everyone will be comfortable around you and the camera and have a blast and I bet you will come out with great shots.:cool:

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 09, 2013 10:17 |  #3

Do you know how to use the meter properly? If there's a lot of snow in the frame, and you use any of the automatic modes, the camera is going to want to underexpose unless you tell it otherwise. If you're using Av or Tv, give it maybe +1EC if there's a lot of snow.

Remember, when left to its own devices, the camera wants to make everything average; it wants the scene to average out to gray. When it sees a lot of snow, it thinks "Wow, look at all that white, better make it all gray" and it'll underexpose. You WANT the snow to be white, right? By giving it some added EC, you're telling it "Yes, this scene is going to be a lot brighter than average."

Now, as far as inspiration, I just went to Google Images and punched in "snow portrait" and got a lot of good hits.
https://www.google.com …rait&source=lnm​s&tbm=isch (external link)

For all portraiture, make sure to pay attention to the background, as much as the subject. If your background is full of clutter, if there's a trash can and a bicycle and a telephone wire all back there, they're going to distract from the subject. Move the subject and move yourself to get those things out of the field of view, or hide them behind the subject. Sometimes you just have to move a few inches to lose clutter out the edge of the frame. Here's a great thread on it:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=536323

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,903 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Dec 09, 2013 10:23 |  #4

What kind of photos are you thinking of? Kids playing in the yard? Adults skiing thru the yard, or posing with ski gear? The family dog running thru the snow to fetch something? People portraits in especially nice "scenery", as in bushes & tree branches with crystalized snow on them? Snow as it falls, or snow that is already on the ground?

I'd love to provide some images for inspiration, but it would really help if you could first tell us a little bit more about just what you have in mind.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 09, 2013 11:15 |  #5

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16513310 (external link)
I'd love to give you a couple images for inspiration, but it would really help if you could first tell us what your subject matter will be.

From the first sentence, "My friend is stopping by my house to do...," I had assumed that the friend is the subject.

You know what they say about assuming, though :)

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,903 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Dec 09, 2013 11:50 |  #6

nathancarter wrote in post #16513458 (external link)
From the first sentence, "My friend is stopping by my house to do...," I had assumed that the friend is the subject.

You know what they say about assuming, though :)

Oh, I assumed that the friend was a photographer who wanted a nice venue at which to take snow photos. This assumption then led me to believe that the OP had a really nice backyard - one in which there were great natural settings, in which the snow would show to the greatest advantage.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,829 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 09, 2013 12:00 |  #7

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16513557 (external link)
Oh, I assumed that the friend was a photographer who wanted a nice venue at which to take snow photos.

Who's who isn't explicit. The OP said "I honestly am a little lost when it comes to the idea department and setting the shots up." The friend may be a photographer from whom no ideas can be expected, or the OP may be the photographer.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 10, 2013 14:50 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Woah, it took 3 years to get a first response.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 10, 2013 15:24 |  #9

Dang, usually I'm pretty good at spotting that. hah.

benji25
Goldmember
1,107 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 10, 2013 23:29 |  #10

Better late than never?

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 11, 2013 00:17 |  #11

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #16516833 (external link)
Woah, it took 3 years to get a first response.

hahaha zombie thread lol

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,796 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shoot in the Snow
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.