Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Dec 2013 (Saturday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is your most artistic lens?

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 10, 2013 14:48 |  #91

n1as wrote in post #16509070 (external link)
What lens do you find consistently gives you the best artistic results and why?...

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16516686 (external link)
Nobody says gear doesn't matter. But it's not related to art, most of the time.

And as far as I understand (non native English speaker) the threadopener asked for the lens that gives artistic results.
I understand that he knows not the lens alone makes "art". I think every one here knows.
But probably for some photographers one or the other lens helps him better to create the art he wants to photograph.
It seems for you all your lenses work the same. For me not - I have >300 lenses, and those I mentioned are by far those who give me the best output.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 10, 2013 15:13 |  #92

ZoneV wrote in post #16516824 (external link)
For me not - I have >300 lenses, and those I mentioned are by far those who give me the best output.

And to me that is a high risk of analysis paralysis. I do my best work when I'm not thinking about what lens I want to use because of some miniscule rendering quality that no one will care about but instead choose my focal length, aperture, and simply shoot.

You'll notice I don't have a gear list. I shoot professionally and still only have FOUR lenses. That's all I need. Why you think you need 300 is beyond me but that's your choice.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

burb1972
126 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 10, 2013 15:36 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #93

vpk lens attached to bellows

mike parker
gear list 5dc, tamron 19-35, tamron 28-75, 50mm 1.8 mark 1, 28-70 3.5 canon(x2), 100 f/2 canon, 70-300 usm is, helios 44-2, vpk lens put into a m42 cap attached to a bellows, 430 ex

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 10, 2013 15:59 |  #94

cdifoto wrote in post #16516893 (external link)
.. I do my best work when I'm not thinking about what lens I want to use because of some miniscule rendering quality that no one will care about but instead choose my focal length, aperture, and simply shoot.

That is probably the reason why you make your images and I make mine :-)
Sometimes I also simply choose focal length, aperture and shoot.

Canon EF lenses (except the 135 softfocus), Sigma and current Tamron may have only minuscule different rendering quality. Other lenses have extreme differences. If you do only see a minuscule difference between the Trioplan 100mm/2.8 wideopen rendering and a Canon EF 100/2.8 we probably have different kind of vision.

cdifoto wrote in post #16516893 (external link)
You'll notice I don't have a gear list. I shoot professionally and still only have FOUR lenses. That's all I need. Why you think you need 300 is beyond me but that's your choice.

I do not need 300 lenses. But I am glad to have them :-)
I am an image engineer at a camera manufacturer, and love lenses - and now and then I need some lenses to modify / butcher as hobby :D

But I think this thread is not about the discussion whether you think some lenses may be better for artistry images or not?

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,722 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Dec 10, 2013 16:04 |  #95

Lensbaby: never use it because I am not artistic.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 10, 2013 16:06 |  #96

ZoneV wrote in post #16517005 (external link)
But I think this thread is not about the discussion whether you think some lenses may be better for artistry images or not?

What you think the OP means doesn't stop people from commenting on a poorly posed question. It's the nature of the beast.

If I post a question - what camera gives the most "artistic" results, I'll get flak for wording a question the way I did... even though different cameras influence the shooting process in their own ways. People will point out that none of the cameras are more "artistic" than the other. Same with lenses. Different rendering, but you can't call it artistic if you want to use the words to indicate what they actually mean.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 10, 2013 16:31 |  #97

gotaudi wrote in post #16516546 (external link)
For me my eye is the most artistic lens...

That's cool. How much and where can I get one, too?

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

gotaudi
720 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 10, 2013 16:37 |  #98

Nathan wrote in post #16517082 (external link)
That's cool. How much and where can I get one, too?

Sorry limited edition, Only two exist in the world that i know of... of the two copies, one is sharper than the other.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 10, 2013 16:55 |  #99

gotaudi wrote in post #16517092 (external link)
Sorry limited edition, Only two exist in the world that i know of... of the two copies, one is sharper than the other.

So if you close the sharper one, do you like the artistic blur by the less sharper one? Does it have good bokeh?

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 10, 2013 17:13 |  #100

ZoneV wrote in post #16517005 (external link)
That is probably the reason why you make your images and I make mine :-)
Sometimes I also simply choose focal length, aperture and shoot.

Canon EF lenses (except the 135 softfocus), Sigma and current Tamron may have only minuscule different rendering quality. Other lenses have extreme differences. If you do only see a minuscule difference between the Trioplan 100mm/2.8 wideopen rendering and a Canon EF 100/2.8 we probably have different kind of vision.

I do not need 300 lenses. But I am glad to have them :-)
I am an image engineer at a camera manufacturer, and love lenses - and now and then I need some lenses to modify / butcher as hobby :D

True. And I have to leave it to others to decide whether or not my photos are art because it's not my place to say.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

n1as
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 10, 2013 17:38 |  #101

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16517023 (external link)
What you think the OP means doesn't stop people from commenting on a poorly posed question. It's the nature of the beast.

Well, help out this poor OP then. Can you rephrase the question in a way that makes more sense?

So far, my Q has received some serious answers (for which I am grateful) and a whole pile of "this question is stupid" replies. I greatly prefer the former to the latter and would love one of the critics to support the effort rather than undermining it.

Are you game?

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 10, 2013 17:42 |  #102

n1as wrote in post #16517204 (external link)
Are you game?

I gave my suggestions. There's more than one post where I list lenses with "unique looks" to them.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 10, 2013 17:44 |  #103

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16517209 (external link)
I gave my suggestions. There's more than one post where I list lenses with "unique looks" to them.

He was hoping you'd help him rephrase the question. He stated it exactly as such.

I don't know how to rephrase it myself because I don't think artistry hinges at all on a particular type of bokeh or sharpness (not to be confused with focus) or anything. I think artistry hinges entirely on the content of the photograph and the following processing of the image. I can't think of any ARTISTIC shot where the bokeh made it. Or any such shot where the lack of CA made it to the point that it wouldn't be as artistic with different bokeh or different CA. I can't think of any artistic shot where the microcontrast made it artistic to the point a different kind of microcontrast would have made it non-artistic.

Perhaps I'm prententious in what I consider art and my bar is so high that very few photographs to me are actually art. I've never created an artistic photograph. I don't consider good lighting or a certain focal length or a blurred backround or even a perfect technically executed portrait to be art. I don't consider photos of hot babes with cars to be art no matter how sexy they are, nor do I consider the myriad of flowers photos art. I don't have a definition for art, I just think the bar is pretty damned high. Or maybe I just don't think it's art until it's framed and hung. Hell I don't know.

To me, discussion of certain lens rendering qualities as crucial to artistic intent is just people excusing themselves for their GAS. I think if you can blur or show your background as intended, use the focal length and ensuing framing as intended, and light as intended, you can create artistic images. The message will be different based on how you use all of these things but artistic merit will not be decided based on microcontrast or whether your lens creates donut highlights.

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 10, 2013 17:53 |  #104

ZoneV wrote in post #16516824 (external link)
And as far as I understand (non native English speaker) the threadopener asked for the lens that gives artistic results.
I understand that he knows not the lens alone makes "art". I think every one here knows.
But probably for some photographers one or the other lens helps him better to create the art he wants to photograph.
It seems for you all your lenses work the same. For me not - I have >300 lenses, and those I mentioned are by far those who give me the best output.

I love how english is your second language and you can still infer what the OP meant while all of these native speakers pull out their pitchforks and turn this thread into an argument.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 10, 2013 18:02 |  #105

cdifoto wrote in post #16517213 (external link)
He was hoping you'd help him rephrase the question. He stated it exactly as such.

Oh... right...

I can rephrase it all I want and I did... but I still don't know if that's what the OP means.

OP? What do you mean by "artistic"? Alternative rendering from current multicoated stuff? Non-standard bokeh? Short DOF?

A rendering so bad, it borders on pictorialism or abstracts your subject matter? Technically, any BW photo is fauvism. Any lensbaby photo is cubism.

I can't rephrase things for you if I'm (semi-)guessing what you want.

sponsored links

15,811 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is your most artistic lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.