Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Dec 2013 (Saturday) 19:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Switched to Canon: Full time from Nikon

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 10, 2013 16:02 |  #61
bannedPermanent ban

Gobeatty wrote in post #16516918 (external link)
One thing I do is set the camera to give me somewhat (but not completely like raw) flat images OOC. Post usually includes bumping up contrast, color and adjusting exposure slightly and maybe tweaking WB, and cropping/rotating. Except for cropping/rotating, the other adjustments are often the same for all shots in a series so I work it out once then apply to all.

Shooting a bit flat gives the JPEGs more wiggle room than going for super saturated and punchy right OOC. I read Ken Rockwell has a Vivid JPEG preset he uses but I don't. If I forget to switch the preset back when I go into a low light/high ISO situation, I get crushed files. So I just use one JPEG preset for everything and punch in post as needed.

If you are PP your images, wouldn't it be better to just work off of a RAW file vs JPG since there is no realized time savings. If using LR, import file --> correct one image --> sync them to the rest of images --> export. Whether RAW or JPG, time spent is the same.

Now if you are just delivering SOOC images than JPG would be the way to go.

The one variance is file size but in this day storage is pretty cheap.

sponsored links
neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 10, 2013 16:03 |  #62

jdizzle wrote in post #16515777 (external link)
Pretty much. I'm very anal about color accuracy. Especially, to my clients. Using the Colorchecker is not only about seeking a color look but, I can profile different cameras, correct color casts, WB, etc.

A big +1 to that. :)

What you don't mention is how quick and easy it is. I will never again work without one (or my handheld light meter, for that matter). I bought my Colorchecker just over four years ago, and it is a vital part of my process. I always use a custom WB, and always correct my colours. It maybe adds a total of two minutes to the entire process, and it can save much more than that.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 10, 2013 16:10 |  #63

andrikos wrote in post #16516915 (external link)
Q: What happens when an electron and positron collide?

A: THIS!

These guys should just trade their systems and be done with it.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 12, 2013 11:22 |  #64

neacail wrote in post #16517013 (external link)
A big +1 to that. :)

What you don't mention is how quick and easy it is. I will never again work without one (or my handheld light meter, for that matter). I bought my Colorchecker just over four years ago, and it is a vital part of my process. I always use a custom WB, and always correct my colours. It maybe adds a total of two minutes to the entire process, and it can save much more than that.

Thanks for mentioning that. It really is easy to use. I just feel good knowing that I put that little bit of extra time to give a high quality product for my clients. :)

6-string59
68 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 12, 2013 11:24 as a reply to  @ post 16510311 |  #65

To the original post, I totally get where he's coming from, though for me the Canon ergonomics are great...Depends on your hands. Like the OP, I was a long time Nikon user, and I found getting use to the Canon controls and navigation a little sketchy at first. There were more than a few times I'd be cursing trying to change setting on the fly, or at startup to get a quick shot in the first couple of weeks of use, but I finally got the hang of it.
It's not that it's any more complex than a Nikon, or other manufacturer, but I totally agree that for myself, being used to the Nikon, I had to go through a de-learning (is that a word?;)) and just adapt.
The reality is the Canon has just as many direct function buttons, but what may trip some people out switching over is the way they interact and display on the screen. For some reason, I just couldn't train my brain to get use to the "Q" function button placement, and I'd hit the "AV" by mistake by feel, sometimes backtracking, and going through the functions several times because my instinct was to automatically navigate through the settings from the 4-way keypad. but once you get the "feel" down, and are working with the control functionality within each dial setting it's so easy to navigate with just the keypad.
It's awesome, and frankly I just love it now.

Roshan
THREAD ­ STARTER
319 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 14, 2014 21:18 as a reply to  @ post 16524407 |  #66

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd give an update. I know there are people in similar situations to me.

So I've been using the 5D Mark3 on and off for the past 2 months and rented a D800 for a few days to shoot the Toronto International Auto Show. Here's my thoughts:

1. The 5D3 is Far more customizable than my old 5D2. The Q button, the Mfn button and the Depth of field buttons are glorious! People talk about the autofocus as the main reasons to upgrade. Yes it is, but the extra options on this camera is nice.

2. That Back LCD is just amazing on the 5D3! Nikon has nothing that comes close. This one is not even open for debate. The back LCD is so beautiful! If you want to give yourself some confidence or confidence in your client after a shot, this LCD will definately do it.

Here's something I CANNOT STAND from both parties:
3. To me Nikon's button layout and implementation is FAR FAR superior to Canon. I can't get over how the on off switch is so stupidly placed on the 5D mark 3. I literally have to change my shooting style by keeping the camera on the whole time, rather than just flick it off. At least on the 5D2 I can use my right hand to flick it on and off.
I use a rapid strap, and it's so inconvininent! I can literally miss a very important shot if my camera happens to be turned off! HUGE PLUS FOR NIKON HERE that I can't overstate!

4. The self-lit top LCD. On a Nikon, I can program it to simply touch a button, shutter, and the top LCD comes on. In a dark environment, it's awesome! On a Canon, I have to press a stupid light button. Why? Why can't it activate when I half press the shutter?

5. On the Canon side, the SRaw and Mraw are a godsend! Why Nikon refuses to put this feature on their camera is beyond me. I'd love to be able to shoot the D800 in 16megapixel mode. This honestly would be my camera if it had a small raw mode at 12-18 megapixel, and shot at 6 frames in small raw mode. This to me was a HUGE oversight! And primarily why I am looking at the 5D3.

Overall, I'm still in the love it/hate it phase. I love something about both brands, but from a picture quality pov, Canon is still better straight out of the camera when properly exposed.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,654 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 15, 2014 00:38 |  #67

^Why not just leave the camera on all the time? I haven't turned my 6D into the off position in weeks, I guarantee I could pick it up right now and fire off some shots and it hasn't charged since it was turned off either. Canon lets you choose your sleep intervals, I set mine to 1 minute. All it takes is a half press of the shutter and it pops right back to life instantly.

As for the LCD, it's never been an issue for me, but I can see the argument. I can't get used to any of the Nikon ergonomics though, to me everything is overly complicated. Every time I pickup my friends D800 I have to search the camera thoroughly to figure out what the heck I'm doing... still don't know how to enable auto-ISO on that thing.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,200 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 16, 2014 05:31 |  #68

Sleep is basically off, as stated just leave it on. The only risk is that when storing the camera, you want to make sure nothing is jostling the buttons to reactivate it randomly.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Nick5
Goldmember
3,116 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 16, 2014 10:29 |  #69

Twenty plus years ago and looking to buy my first SLR, yes film, I had the Canon, Minolta and Nikon's to choose from. For me the Canon felt better in my hands. The Clincher was that it Mode Dial on top which the Minolta and Nikon did not.
With the advent of the Grip introduced in body of the 7D, and incorporated in the 5D Mark III and 1Dx the Canon bodies fit my hand like a glove.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 16, 2014 10:56 |  #70

I only turn off the camera sometimes when I'm going to store it. The on/off is basically a "keyboard lock".

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links

9,708 views & 0 likes for this thread
Switched to Canon: Full time from Nikon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.