Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 10 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 23:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What has gone wrong here ?

Nino61
62 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 10, 2013 23:48 |  #1

Thought I would try some photo's on Aperture Priority mode, and I got very poor results.
My camera is a 6D, settings below, and even on manual single point focus not much better.
Just looks so poor to me, the left hand side is not sharp, and the right hand side is not much better.
Would love to see what has gone wrong here, and by the way it was not too dark, it was shot just on sunset, just cloudy. Thanks kindly for any feedback.

http://i1218.photobuck​et.com …ino/IMG_2729.jp​g~original (external link)

File Name IMG_2729.JPG
Camera Model Canon EOS 6D
Firmware Firmware Version 1.1.3
Shooting Date/Time 10/12/2013 7:01:17 PM
Owner's Name
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/8
Av(Aperture Value) 9.0
Metering Mode Center-Weighted Average Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 12800
Auto ISO Speed ON
Lens EF17-40mm f/4L USM
Focal Length 28.0mm
Image Size 5472x3648
Image Quality Fine
Flash Off
FE lock OFF
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode One-Shot AF
AF area select mode Automatic selection
Picture Style Standard
Sharpness 3
Contrast 0
Saturation 0
Color tone 0
Color Space sRGB
Long exposure noise reduction Disable
High ISO speed noise reduction Standard
Highlight tone priority Disable
Auto Lighting Optimizer Standard
Peripheral illumination correction Enable
Chromatic aberration correction Enable
Dust Delete Data No
File Size 6655KB
Drive Mode Self-Timer Operation
Live View Shooting OFF

sponsored links
Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,578 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 10, 2013 23:54 |  #2

Handheld or on a tripod?

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 10, 2013 23:55 |  #3

Were you on a tripod?
Was IS turned on?

If you answered yes to both, or no to the first, then those are your possible causes.

No tripod at 1/8 is going to show some motion blur. Also, having a camera on a tripod with IS turned on can give some funky results. Be sure to turn IS off when using a tripod.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

BigSkyKen
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 10, 2013 23:56 |  #4

If handheld, you did petty darn good for 1/8 second exposure!

BigSkyKen
Wildlife & Nature Blog @ His Creation (external link)

Nino61
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 11, 2013 00:04 |  #5

Yes it was on a manfrotto tripod, no movement, and this lens Canon17-40 does not have IS .

Ratjack wrote in post #16517945 (external link)
Were you on a tripod?
Was IS turned on?

If you answered yes to both, or no to the first, then those are your possible causes.

No tripod at 1/8 is going to show some motion blur. Also, having a camera on a tripod with IS turned on can give some funky results. Be sure to turn IS off when using a tripod.

BigSkyKen
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 11, 2013 00:11 |  #6

Might try again with mirror lockup and remote shutter release to reduce potential movement. Also, did you weigh down your tripod? I find it helpful to hang something heavy from the hook under mine, but long enough that it also rests on the ground, rather than swing in the air. Seems like somewhere you've got some movement that needs to be nailed down.

BigSkyKen
Wildlife & Nature Blog @ His Creation (external link)

Nino61
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 11, 2013 02:04 |  #7

Thanks BigSkyBen, for your reply. My tripod is a very good one, heavy duty, and there was no wind at the time, so I don't think thats a problem.
I used self timer because it wasn't too long shutter speed, where I would use a shutter release.
I have never tried Mirror Lockup because some people in the past have said that will not do anything if its on self timer, but yes maybe I should try with mirror lock up and see if I can get a sharper image.
Thanks again.

BigSkyKen wrote in post #16517978 (external link)
Might try again with mirror lockup and remote shutter release to reduce potential movement. Also, did you weigh down your tripod? I find it helpful to hang something heavy from the hook under mine, but long enough that it also rests on the ground, rather than swing in the air. Seems like somewhere you've got some movement that needs to be nailed down.

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 11, 2013 05:55 as a reply to  @ Nino61's post |  #8

i think you are using very very high iso if you are using tripod then for landscape scenes you can shoot at iso 100 and you can even go at f11 or f16. for landscapes we focus the lens at hyperfocal distance. google and work out hyperfocal distance at http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 11, 2013 06:48 |  #9

Other things to keep in mind: What is your tripod sitting on?

Remember, you might think the ground is fixed, but we're hurtling through space on a giant ball of flexible material. Fixed and stationary are all relative, and it doesn't take much vibration picked up through the ground to cause a bit of softness in an image.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,864 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 11, 2013 07:36 |  #10

Nino61 wrote in post #16518117 (external link)
Thanks BigSkyBen, for your reply. My tripod is a very good one, heavy duty, and there was no wind at the time, so I don't think thats a problem.
I used self timer because it wasn't too long shutter speed, where I would use a shutter release.
I have never tried Mirror Lockup because some people in the past have said that will not do anything if its on self timer, but yes maybe I should try with mirror lock up and see if I can get a sharper image.
Thanks again.

Moving the mirror actually introduces quite a bit of camera shake even on a good tripod and the 6D has a big mirror. Below are two images, the original and a 100% crop of an area that clearly shows the effect of mirror slap. (forgot to MLU on the shot of an ISS fly by)

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5031/7423840590_8e7003e61f_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5115/7423838974_b9f6e4601a_b.jpg

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

elikim
51 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 11, 2013 08:25 |  #11

gjl, that is a pretty cool shot! I never knew mirror slap could cause that sort of "effect"

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,578 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 11, 2013 09:17 |  #12

JJ, that's a great demonstration of the effect of mirror slap! How long do you typically wait after MLU to shoot your picture?

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,864 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 11, 2013 09:23 |  #13

Scrumhalf wrote in post #16518609 (external link)
JJ, that's a great demonstration of the effect of mirror slap! How long do you typically wait after MLU to shoot your picture?

Well, the image is a 30 second exposure so if you start dividing the time line, by about 5 seconds the effect is totally gone and it is mostly gone within the first 2 seconds.

What I normally do is set MLU and use either the 2 second or 10 second timer and it will automatically trigger.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,352 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Dec 11, 2013 09:30 |  #14

nittaya wrote in post #16518264 (external link)
i think you are using very very high iso if you are using tripod then for landscape scenes you can shoot at iso 100 and you can even go at f11 or f16. for landscapes we focus the lens at hyperfocal distance. google and work out hyperfocal distance at http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link)

^^^^THIS,

gjl711 wrote in post #16518390 (external link)
Moving the mirror actually introduces quite a bit of camera shake even on a good tripod and the 6D has a big mirror. Below are two images, the original and a 100% crop of an area that clearly shows the effect of mirror slap. (forgot to MLU on the shot of an ISS fly by)

^^^^AND THIS.

Mark

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 11, 2013 10:00 |  #15

Ratjack wrote in post #16517945 (external link)
...having a camera on a tripod with IS turned on can give some funky results. Be sure to turn IS off when using a tripod.

BigSkyKen wrote in post #16517978 (external link)
Might try again with mirror lockup and remote shutter release to reduce potential movement.

nittaya wrote in post #16518264 (external link)
i think you are using very very high iso if you are using tripod then for landscape scenes you can shoot at iso 100 and you can even go at f11 or f16.

Luckless wrote in post #16518317 (external link)
Other things to keep in mind: What is your tripod sitting on?

I think you have a winning combination with these suggestions here.

If I were taking this shot, I would have performed the following steps after choosing the perfect location for composition - you may have done some of these:

- set the tripod on a stable surface, preferably concrete or stone
- set camera on liveview mode so the mirror would already be locked up (remember to cover the viewfinder)
- set ISO to 160 (something about 160 being a native ISO and [SUPposedly] sharper than 100)
- set exposure mode to aperture priority and set aperture to f/11 (sharpest on my 17-40)
- set my needle to the middle
- composed the shot properly
- check your lens and/or filters for debris, humidity, fog, etc and clean as necessary
- make sure all my tripod legs and ballhead screws were tight
- used a remote shutter release, RC-6 to capture the image
- bracketed by taking two more shots at -2/3 and +2/3

I'm guessing a proper exposure would have been somewhere in the 4s - 12s range with these settings.

I think the image is soft for several reasons, but the largest reason being the high ISO and the fact that you shot in JPEG. Start shooting RAW! Especially when shooting high ISO and using noise reduction in LR or PS. You will surprised by how much more information there is in a RAW image and how much you can manipulate it.

You have the right tools and it looks like you know what you're doing. It's a fine image, but it could improve by just tweaking a few things here and there. Good luck.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

sponsored links

2,957 views & 0 likes for this thread
What has gone wrong here ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.