Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 17:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Taking Photo's Makes You Miss The Moments

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 10, 2013 17:59 |  #1

Yes, just confirmed on ABC News that a study shows when you take two people, one taking photo's and the other simply taking it all in and enjoying the moment, the one taking photo's has less recollection of what went on than the one simply observing everything.

What does this tell us? Tells me that one can talk all about what they saw while the other can show actual photo's. :)

sponsored links
Dmitriy
247 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 10, 2013 18:14 |  #2

Another study: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=zd2sRC3K9Hs (external link)

My Stock Photography (external link) | My Mobile Photography (external link) | My: Google + (external link) , Facebook (external link) , Twitter (external link)
Keywording Tool (external link) for stock photographers | Photo and videography (external link)

awesomeshots
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 10, 2013 18:40 |  #3

Lol. Funny but true.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 6D, Canon 24-70 F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.8, Speedlite 430 II.

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 10, 2013 20:50 |  #4

That Louie CK bit is hilarious, and its so true, no one cares, its basically like "oh somethings happening, I have to record it, even though everyone else here is also recording it, and I could just look at their video later, but I'm just gonna do this anyways because that's what everyone does". I can't fathom this fetish people have with missing out on experiences, and instead staring at a screen.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 11, 2013 13:30 |  #5

Well, gosh, the stories we could tell, but I'm tempted to make some up just to add to the entertainment of things:)!

Let's see...I know a guy who does great "surfing" photography and who totally "missed the moment" when the shark jumped up and gobbled up a surfer, dang, but I'd be making it up:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,816 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 11, 2013 13:35 |  #6

iamascientist wrote in post #16517606 (external link)
That Louie CK bit is hilarious, and its so true, no one cares, its basically like "oh somethings happening, I have to record it, even though everyone else here is also recording it, and I could just look at their video later, but I'm just gonna do this anyways because that's what everyone does". I can't fathom this fetish people have with missing out on experiences, and instead staring at a screen.

uh it's because of the memories is yours to keep instead of relying on someone else you may not no, and may not have the same focus as you. I record plays and events...... on a tripod, so I'm not missing anything :)

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Tessa
Playing with fire
1,805 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 11, 2013 13:46 as a reply to  @ Charlie's post |  #7

After years of shooting motorsports I can say without a doubt - yes, I miss a lot. I can see and record what's in my cameras view but I have absolutely no idea who is leading the race or what else is happening. The camera somehow isolates me from really seeing everything. And I admit - I miss just watching a race.

That's why I refuse to take a camera to family gatherings, parties etc. As much as I love photography, I want to be IN the event, not look at it through a lens. I'd rather have the memories :)

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 11, 2013 13:54 |  #8

I too, try to be 'present' in the moment when I am with my family. I bought a iphone tripod, so that I can record a quick picture with the iphone, rather than lugging around my camera and miss what was going on.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,222 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 11, 2013 15:05 as a reply to  @ professorman's post |  #9

Photography is the moment for me. This said, I don't photograph family/friend events or, for that matter, most any type of event.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,279 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 11, 2013 15:09 |  #10

This idea isn't really anything new. I think I read an essay by Barthes on the subject. There's also stuff written about the photograph replacing the memory or otherwise adding to/altering the memory of events in some way ... I'm knackered, and I don't have access to my University notes to look it up, but the stuff exists. Airfrogusmc can probably provide some excellent quotes on the matter and also correct me as to whether it was indeed Barthes.

| New website. (external link) |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,278 posts
Gallery: 668 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 11, 2013 15:11 |  #11

Of course most of the events I am at is because I am there to photograph, hence I would have nada, zippo, buggerall, if it wasn't for the photography.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,443 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 11, 2013 15:27 |  #12

I, recently, went on a wildlife cruise out of Seward, AK and we came upon a pod of killer whales. While I was staring through the eyepiece to catch the calf that had come in close to the boat, I had my back turned so that I missed the full breach that one of the males did on the opposite side of the boat. So, the folks not so tied up in getting a picture still have that memory going forward, while I've got nuthin'.

So, yes, it can certainly cause missed shots; but, I'm not going to quit using the camera because of it

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

AlFooteIII
444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 11, 2013 16:05 |  #13

It's interesting, I shoot theatrical productions and I think it makes me a much more keen observer of the show than when I'm "just" an audience member. Possibly it is because I am staying hyper aware of when an important moment might be coming up or when a good shot might coalesce. Or maybe it's because I'm on my feet actively engaging with the piece instead of sitting in a cushy velvet-lined chair just observing.

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/ (external link)
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photography (external link)

mondie
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 11, 2013 16:33 |  #14

Not surprising. I get no enjoyment from using a camcorder and have always felt when I am that I'm somehow removed from the moment. We have very little footage of the kids growing up, well not as much as my wife would like anyhow :) Millions of photos though!

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 11, 2013 16:34 |  #15

RandyMN wrote in post #16517245 (external link)
Yes, just confirmed on ABC News that a study shows when you take two people, one taking photo's and the other simply taking it all in and enjoying the moment, the one taking photo's has less recollection of what went on than the one simply observing everything.

What does this tell us? Tells me that one can talk all about what they saw while the other can show actual photo's. :)

It tells us that someone has created another weak premise. Photography has always been about capturing "moments." Those of us who remember the use of film to create images also recall when Kodak had several major advertising campaigns (external link) that encouraged people to use Kodak film to remember "Kodak moments." Life is more than an exercise to enhance short term memory.

sponsored links

3,696 views & 0 likes for this thread
Taking Photo's Makes You Miss The Moments
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.