Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 08 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 23:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please..... explain!

Ken ­ Robertson
Cream of the Crop
5,394 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 08, 2013 23:14 |  #1

Natural light

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 1ds Mark III
Canon 70-200IS L 2/8, 24-70L 2.8, 50mm 1.4

sponsored links
joephotographer
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 09, 2013 09:01 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
Rushmore
Goldmember
1,116 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 09, 2013 10:10 |  #3

joephotographer wrote in post #16513099 (external link)
Horrible processing.She looks bruised. Focus and depth of field seem good.

Joe

That's a bit strong!

I do agree it has a slight blue cast around the edges.. Which I'm guessng is because it might be balanced to the interior light but she is by a window? Could be wrong. But thaw my guess... But looking and replying to this on my iphone

It a very nice sharp image with good composition.. I do feel the skin is a little it too soft for the whimsical, spur of the moment feel to the image.. But on the whole I really like it.

Reppin the 5D iii and 7D with some lenses and some lights
LIKE MY PHOTOGRAPHY PAGE (external link)
MY STUDIO FACEBOOK PAGE (external link)
www.phlashworx.co.uk (external link)
My Photography Website (external link)

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 09, 2013 10:52 as a reply to  @ Rushmore's post |  #4

I like the image but the processing is not working for me for some reason. It seems like the skin was softened but the image was made harder clarity maybe. Can you post the original image?

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 09, 2013 11:10 as a reply to  @ david lacey's post |  #5

Ken - I like it.

Please..... explain!

For me that's exactly the "look" she's giving you - through your lens. LOL!!

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

Ken ­ Robertson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,394 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 11, 2013 16:18 |  #6

Rushmore wrote in post #16513274 (external link)
That's a bit strong!

I do agree it has a slight blue cast around the edges.. Which I'm guessng is because it might be balanced to the interior light but she is by a window? Could be wrong. But thaw my guess... But looking and replying to this on my iphone

It a very nice sharp image with good composition.. I do feel the skin is a little it too soft for the whimsical, spur of the moment feel to the image.. But on the whole I really like it.

david lacey wrote in post #16513389 (external link)
I like the image but the processing is not working for me for some reason. It seems like the skin was softened but the image was made harder clarity maybe. Can you post the original image?

Original here...

Hillbille wrote in post #16513436 (external link)
Ken - I like it.

Please..... explain!

For me that's exactly the "look" she's giving you - through your lens. LOL!!

Hillbille

:)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 1ds Mark III

wrankin
41 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 11, 2013 21:45 as a reply to  @ Ken Robertson's post |  #7

Her character and expression seems to have depth. I noticed that also on the other image of her I commented on too.

king.
235 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 11, 2013 22:36 |  #8

It looks like you brushed away all detail on the top of her left hand. And it also looks like you retouched only half of her face. Her left is completely smooth and her right side looks completely untouched.

5Dmk3 with a couple red rings
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Ken ­ Robertson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,394 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 11, 2013 23:14 |  #9

king. wrote in post #16520640 (external link)
It looks like you brushed away all detail on the top of her left hand. And it also looks like you retouched only half of her face. Her left is completely smooth and her right side looks completely untouched.

Any skin processing was global, not selective

Canon 1ds Mark III

Krottski
126 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 12, 2013 08:49 as a reply to  @ Ken Robertson's post |  #10

I prefer the original without any processing but I tend to lean towards a more raw image anyways.

Canon 60d - Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II - Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC - Thrifty 50
"I may be a noob but I make up for it with a complete lack of talent"

H.B.
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 13, 2013 00:50 |  #11

I like this a lot! To be honest, the shot didnt strike me as having much done in post at all. I like the tones, the exposure and the pose is terrific! Works well with your title!

Catch me on FLICKR (external link) OR VIEW MY GALLERY (external link).
Gear list : Gripped 5D MkII. Gripped 400D. 50mm f1.8. 17-40 f4 L. 70-200 F2.8 IS L. 580exII 2x430exII. E-bay triggers. Manfroto tripod. Smith and Vector umbrella's and stands. Softbox.

Ken ­ Robertson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,394 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 13, 2013 01:17 |  #12

H.B. wrote in post #16523574 (external link)
I like this a lot! To be honest, the shot didnt strike me as having much done in post at all. I like the tones, the exposure and the pose is terrific! Works well with your title!

Yeh - not too much - about 5 minutes :)
Thanks for commenting

Canon 1ds Mark III

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,440 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Dec 13, 2013 02:14 as a reply to  @ Ken Robertson's post |  #13

Hey matey....
I've noticed a lot of criticism levelled at you recently about your "new" entry into the realms of post-processing.

But, I think it's a cultural thing.

Friends of mine in the USA (and the odd slot about it on TV here) mention that the fashion now is for the "natural look", which seems to mean virtually no makeup, and certainly no use of "smoothing" or "smudging" tools on the computer.

BUT, here in Japan, women LOVE to have completely smoothed-out skin. There are even foundation/base products which are like soup! The ads on TV are hilarious to me...."in only 25 seconds, you too can have completely smooth skin!" and suchlike.

So, although I think your shots recently are "fine", tastes worldwide dictate otherwise.....

If you want to develop more, you can try a different technique which involves creating textured layers to duplicate "skin", but which allow you to cover blemishes. This would probably please the USA-based critics in here.

But for your (and my) local market, smoothing is very much the "approved route", as long as it's not done in a hit 'n' miss way!

Regards for now, and as always, love what you're doing.

Simon

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

Ken ­ Robertson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,394 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 13, 2013 02:22 |  #14

skygod44 wrote in post #16523646 (external link)
Hey matey....
I've noticed a lot of criticism levelled at you recently about your "new" entry into the realms of post-processing.

But, I think it's a cultural thing.

Friends of mine in the USA (and the odd slot about it on TV here) mention that the fashion now is for the "natural look", which seems to mean virtually no makeup, and certainly no use of "smoothing" or "smudging" tools on the computer.

BUT, here in Japan, women LOVE to have completely smoothed-out skin. There are even foundation/base products which are like soup! The ads on TV are hilarious to me...."in only 25 seconds, you too can have completely smooth skin!" and suchlike.

So, although I think your shots recently are "fine", tastes worldwide dictate otherwise.....

If you want to develop more, you can try a different technique which involves creating textured layers to duplicate "skin", but which allow you to cover blemishes. This would probably please the USA-based critics in here.

But for your (and my) local market, smoothing is very much the "approved route", as long as it's not done in a hit 'n' miss way!

Regards for now, and as always, love what you're doing.

Simon

Hey Simon,
All too true, In Thailand the young girls go into the studio and come out with shots that are not even similar to the in features or in colour.
I have seen some of the TV series ' Change my race' - quite daunting to the extent that the surgeons Westernise the Asians to become 'acceptable' in their adopted countries or at home.
We are not at that stage with photography yet.
Great to hear from you
Ken

Canon 1ds Mark III

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 13, 2013 02:58 as a reply to  @ Ken Robertson's post |  #15

Ken - also my comment earlier had nothing to do with the "processing" but more to do with the expression on the model's face. Great capture!

To me the model is resting, expecting lunch maybe... and here you go snapping away! She's giving you "that" look! LOL!!

I must say I enjoy your work BECAUSE of the natural settings and use of available light. I must also confess that for "portraits" I am not a real fan of PP. Anyway, I just thought I would let you know that there are a lot of people that enjoy your work and just don't comment. I don't usually, but just felt the need to let you know.

Thanks for posting,

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

sponsored links

3,589 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please..... explain!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.