Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 03 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 12:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

marketing gurus: why is Adobe extending the creative cloud offer?

Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 05, 2013 13:05 |  #16

I don't know about raising subscription rates, but I have my own conspiracy theory: Adobe is hoping that sales of CS6 and LR5 will show a dip during this period so that they can then point to the numbers and say, "See, we don't need to sell those products outright in order to make money!" Which they'll then use as an excuse to discontinue sales. I predict that by the end of 2014 you'll no longer be able to buy either product, except via subscription.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

sponsored links
lukasgunar
309 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 05, 2013 13:18 |  #17

Snafoo wrote in post #16504007 (external link)
I don't know about raising subscription rates, but I have my own conspiracy theory: Adobe is hoping that sales of CS6 and LR5 will show a dip during this period so that they can then point to the numbers and say, "See, we don't need to sell those products outright in order to make money!" Which they'll then use as an excuse to discontinue sales. I predict that by the end of 2014 you'll no longer be able to buy either product, except via subscription.

This is exactly it!
This is the modern way of doing business, otherwise called "cloud".
Big companies rely on subscriptions rather than on one-time buy. I am keen to agree with Snafoo. This is actually already happening in my company right now and I can tell you it is much bigger player than Adobe.

Sony A7RIII
Samyang 45 f/1.8, paired with Sigma converter: Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, Canon Speedlite 580EXII
stuff I owned for years until I moved to Sony world
Canon EOS 5D MkIV,Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

tomd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,280 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 11, 2013 11:36 |  #18

now it's extended til Dec. 31st. Anyone bet it gets extended til Jan 30th?

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

Greg ­ M
299 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Dec 11, 2013 13:51 |  #19

Adobe is just finding a new way to take your money and give as little in return as they can. They're increasing the promotional period because most users are saying no and sticking to what they already have or going elsewhere. I will never get a subscription from Adobe, NEVER !!!!!!

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,277 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 11, 2013 13:56 |  #20

Never say never. Back when I lived in Chicago, the Chicago tribune offered me a deal for their paper. 3 months, 1/2 price. I said no. A week later they called and it became 3 months, cost of weekend only. I still said no. Then they offered it for 3 months complementary, no cost. I finally gave in because it was summer and newspaper makes a great kindling to use in my charcoal chimney. ;):)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

ZLGragg
217 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 12, 2013 00:15 |  #21

gjl711 wrote in post #16519355 (external link)
Never say never. Back when I lived in Chicago, the Chicago tribune offered me a deal for their paper. 3 months, 1/2 price. I said no. A week later they called and it became 3 months, cost of weekend only. I still said no. Then they offered it for 3 months complementary, no cost. I finally gave in because it was summer and newspaper makes a great kindling to use in my charcoal chimney. ;):)

bw!

5D2, 1Ds2, 1D2N
Rok 8mm, 35mm, 85mm; CZ 28-85mm; Canon 28-80L, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8
fs: Tokina 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8; Contax Zeiss 135mm f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm f/4L; 1D classic; lots of alt lenses from 28-210mm

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 12, 2013 16:28 |  #22

gjl711 wrote in post #16519355 (external link)

Question is, did you continue the subscription once the 3 months was over? :)

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

Greg ­ M
299 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Dec 12, 2013 16:34 |  #23

v35skyline wrote in post #16522600 (external link)

No, he already had enough kindling for the winter :)

gjl711
56,277 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 12, 2013 17:36 |  #24

v35skyline wrote in post #16522600 (external link)

No, actually it was very difficult to stop. It had gotten so silly that I would pick up the paper and toss it into the recycling bin. It took multiple calls to finally convince them not to deliver.

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 12, 2013 17:54 |  #25

J Michael wrote in post #16499772 (external link)
Shareholders aren't going to be happy when the next recession hits and the subscription rate starts declining. As for the current situation I'm sure they want to have a happy story to tell at the next shareholder meeting and "subscriber base is growing" is the message they have to deliver to make the stock price rise.

Actually I think it's the opposite - and that is precisely why they're doing it - because we've hit the peak of our 'disposable income' economy cycle, and the economy is going to need to slow down. In the future it's quite likely that people might be a bit more prudent with their cash. As such, the best way that they (and other companies) can come up with to maintain income is to 'hook' people, and then force them into continuing to pay for their software... otherwise when people get a bit tight on cash they would just 'rest' on whatever the current version they have is until things change again.

And it appears to be working too - when they lowered their price, I've read many threads where people have changed their minds and decided it's 'good value now' and have taken the bait.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 12, 2013 19:02 |  #26

They're trying to make more money. It isn't marketing unless you're talking about their bullsh(t message trying to convince you that a subscription is better for you.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,048 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 13, 2013 10:28 |  #27

gjl711 wrote in post #16522734 (external link)
No, actually it was very difficult to stop. It had gotten so silly that I would pick up the paper and toss it into the recycling bin. It took multiple calls to finally convince them not to deliver.

Newspapers don't make money off subscribers. They make money of advertising, and as long as you are still getting it delivered (even if you don't pay) they can claim higher readership during negotiation with advertisement buyers.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

gjl711
56,277 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 13, 2013 11:03 |  #28

travisvwright wrote in post #16524327 (external link)
Newspapers don't make money off subscribers. They make money of advertising, and as long as you are still getting it delivered (even if you don't pay) they can claim higher readership during negotiation with advertisement buyers.

THat's what I understood. We lived in a rather isolated neighborhood and there were a few subscribers that were getting the paper delivered already. From their perspective it was just a guy tossing a paper out of a passing car. Several in the neighborhood were getting the same deal.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 13, 2013 13:31 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

Canceling can be just another hell in itself. Dunno about Adobe, but some companies make it extremely tough for you to cancel, and when you finally manage to, they'll continue peppering you with their mailers (electronic or otherwise) ad infinitum.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

gacon1
635 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 16, 2013 01:10 |  #30

gonzogolf wrote in post #16498837 (external link)
They need those of us holding on to older versions of PS to make the leap, and hope that once we do there will be no turning back. Sort of like the first free hit of crack. Once you install the CC and get used to the features it will be unlikely that you will be satisfied with your copy of CS3 and then they have you.

bw!

sponsored links

5,360 views & 0 likes for this thread
marketing gurus: why is Adobe extending the creative cloud offer?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.