Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 10 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 23:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What has gone wrong here ?

Nino61
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 11, 2013 21:28 |  #16

Thanks so much Alex, I am going to try these suggestions and see if I can get a sharper image, however I still don't really understand about Hyperfocal distance.
With this shot of my night cityscape, its taken from an edge of a cliff, I always try to focus on the bridge structure, however I am not sure if thats where I should have the centre focus point, and I wonder if the buildings in the back ground cause confusion with the focus ?? anyway I will try suggestions here, and I very much appreciate them all. Cheer

lehmanncpa wrote in post #16518739 (external link)
I think you have a winning combination with these suggestions here.

If I were taking this shot, I would have performed the following steps after choosing the perfect location for composition - you may have done some of these:

- set the tripod on a stable surface, preferably concrete or stone
- set camera on liveview mode so the mirror would already be locked up (remember to cover the viewfinder)
- set ISO to 160 (something about 160 being a native ISO and [SUPposedly] sharper than 100)
- set exposure mode to aperture priority and set aperture to f/11 (sharpest on my 17-40)
- set my needle to the middle
- composed the shot properly
- check your lens and/or filters for debris, humidity, fog, etc and clean as necessary
- make sure all my tripod legs and ballhead screws were tight
- used a remote shutter release, RC-6 to capture the image
- bracketed by taking two more shots at -2/3 and +2/3

I'm guessing a proper exposure would have been somewhere in the 4s - 12s range with these settings.

I think the image is soft for several reasons, but the largest reason being the high ISO and the fact that you shot in JPEG. Start shooting RAW! Especially when shooting high ISO and using noise reduction in LR or PS. You will surprised by how much more information there is in a RAW image and how much you can manipulate it.

You have the right tools and it looks like you know what you're doing. It's a fine image, but it could improve by just tweaking a few things here and there. Good luck.

sponsored links
agl99
156 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 12, 2013 01:34 as a reply to  @ Nino61's post |  #17

I wonder if the blur is the result of movement on the bridge because other parts seem good? Also, I once set my tripod on a solid rock and it still moved when I did... and could it be reflections on your UV filter if you are using one?

Nino61
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 12, 2013 08:35 |  #18

Tried tonight with Mirror Lock up, as well as some other suggestions given by you, and I am so happy with the result, would love more sharp, but still happy. The composition is a little different and there was a big crane on the right so I adjusted left and I didn't get the whole bridge, but it was more just to try different settings.
I did shoot in raw, but edited in lightroom, and it saves it as Jpeg. but thank again for your advice, was very helpful.
http://i1218.photobuck​et.com …/MirrorlockC.jp​g~original (external link)

lehmanncpa wrote in post #16518739 (external link)
I think you have a winning combination with these suggestions here.

If I were taking this shot, I would have performed the following steps after choosing the perfect location for composition - you may have done some of these:

- set the tripod on a stable surface, preferably concrete or stone
- set camera on liveview mode so the mirror would already be locked up (remember to cover the viewfinder)
- set ISO to 160 (something about 160 being a native ISO and [SUPposedly] sharper than 100)
- set exposure mode to aperture priority and set aperture to f/11 (sharpest on my 17-40)
- set my needle to the middle
- composed the shot properly
- check your lens and/or filters for debris, humidity, fog, etc and clean as necessary
- make sure all my tripod legs and ballhead screws were tight
- used a remote shutter release, RC-6 to capture the image
- bracketed by taking two more shots at -2/3 and +2/3

I'm guessing a proper exposure would have been somewhere in the 4s - 12s range with these settings.

I think the image is soft for several reasons, but the largest reason being the high ISO and the fact that you shot in JPEG. Start shooting RAW! Especially when shooting high ISO and using noise reduction in LR or PS. You will surprised by how much more information there is in a RAW image and how much you can manipulate it.

You have the right tools and it looks like you know what you're doing. It's a fine image, but it could improve by just tweaking a few things here and there. Good luck.

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 12, 2013 10:06 |  #19

Nino61 wrote in post #16521408 (external link)
Tried tonight with Mirror Lock up, as well as some other suggestions given by you, and I am so happy with the result, would love more sharp, but still happy. The composition is a little different and there was a big crane on the right so I adjusted left and I didn't get the whole bridge, but it was more just to try different settings.
I did shoot in raw, but edited in lightroom, and it saves it as Jpeg. but thank again for your advice, was very helpful.

Now THAT's an AWESOME image right there! Congrats. Great capture!

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 12, 2013 12:36 |  #20

Nino61 wrote in post #16521408 (external link)

other side of digital photography is post processing. for web display we resize the pictures and also digital images need little bit of sharpening. when we shoot raw sharpening
is not applied in the camera we have to do little bit of sharpening in post processing. if you sharpen and resize the picture for web display you will be surprised that it is much
more sharper than what you have posted.

the main advantage of raw shooting is that it becomes irrelevant what white balance, saturation, contrasts, sharpening you select in camera menue as we can select white balance contrast, saturation and the sharpening in postprocessing.

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 12, 2013 13:27 as a reply to  @ nittaya's post |  #21

Also, to add to what nittaya said, this image could be improved with a few very simple tweaks.

I would start by straightening the image and shifting the vertical axis so that the two buildings on the far left and right of the frame are straight. Ideally, you'd want to keep all your vertical lines as straight as possible. You'll lose a little bit of image on the far left and right corners, but it'll be minor compared to the improved lines.

I would also clone out some of the distracting markers in the water. Maybe leave the two toward the front of the image, but remove the others. It'll create a smoother water line.

Great job though.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback

Nino61
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 12, 2013 14:25 |  #22

Thanks, and thanks again for your advice, was very help full.

lehmanncpa wrote in post #16521645 (external link)
Now THAT's an AWESOME image right there! Congrats. Great capture!

Nino61
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 12, 2013 14:27 |  #23

What size do you recommend I should use for web display ?
I hear Facebook recommend some settings to get high quality images and not compressed. Thanks again.

nittaya wrote in post #16521990 (external link)
other side of digital photography is post processing. for web display we resize the pictures and also digital images need little bit of sharpening. when we shoot raw sharpening
is not applied in the camera we have to do little bit of sharpening in post processing. if you sharpen and resize the picture for web display you will be surprised that it is much
more sharper than what you have posted.

the main advantage of raw shooting is that it becomes irrelevant what white balance, saturation, contrasts, sharpening you select in camera menue as we can select white balance contrast, saturation and the sharpening in postprocessing.

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 12, 2013 14:33 |  #24

I use 2048 for most web displays, at 300dpi and 100% JPG. This forum limits images to 1024.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback

sponsored links

2,958 views & 0 likes for this thread
What has gone wrong here ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.