Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 13:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How often to format SD card?

ivopivo
38 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 12, 2013 13:20 |  #1

I have a Canon 500D that I use maybe once every week and take about 100 photos each time. I've been copying the photos to my computer and formatting the card roughly every 1-2 weeks before it goes back in the camera. I know it's possibly a dumb/noob question, but should I simply delete the photos/folder on the card and keep shooting, or is formatting every time the smart thing to do? Thanks in advance.

sponsored links
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 12, 2013 13:28 |  #2

I reformat every time I download images onto the PC.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,486 posts
Gallery: 133 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 12, 2013 13:32 |  #3

Lowner wrote in post #16522127 (external link)

Me too.

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,860 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 12, 2013 13:41 |  #4

Some people say image deletion as opposed to formatting can create issues. I'm not certain of that, one can argue that Canon designed in this ability, so at least in camera deletion should be OK.

I've been copying the photos to my computer and formatting the card roughly every 1-2 weeks before it goes back in the camera.

The sequence here indicates you format out of camera. I would suggest doing the format in camera, as it does set up a specific file structure, at lesst in my camera it does. Also, if that camera uses a CF card, consider doing the transfer by cable connection. For a 100 or so images the time will be short and you'll save wear and tear on the card slot. I'd even do this for an SD card.

ivopivo
THREAD ­ STARTER
38 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 12, 2013 13:53 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #5

John you are correct, I have been formatting in Windows fat32 (or whatever is default) and I didn't notice anything different compared to formatting it in camera. Haven't had issues for 2+ years now but I do format the card initially in camera for what that's worth.

sliceotime
582 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 12, 2013 14:07 as a reply to  @ ivopivo's post |  #6

I format in camera before each use.

-Slice
So many birds so little time.

RunAmok
96 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 12, 2013 14:09 |  #7

Lowner wrote in post #16522127 (external link)

Same here

Canon 7D + grip | EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS | EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | EF 400 f/5.6L
flickr (external link)

Matt ­ M.
573 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 12, 2013 15:02 |  #8

Maybe I'm just lucky. I've shot about 7000 images on one SD card, erased it in-camera through DPP, and only formatted it when I've used it in different cameras, and after installing firmware updates. I've never had any problem.
It seems like it might be a good idea to perform a low-level format occasionally, simply to remove remnants of old files from the card. Other than that (and I'm sure this subject has been covered ad nauseam elsewhere on POTN), why bother?

Matt
6d, T3i, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L[COLOR="Black"], 28-80mm, f/2.8-4L, 24-105mm f/4L , 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8 II, 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, 600EX-RT, etc.

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 12, 2013 22:46 |  #9

For the last year I have seven SD cards that I rotate. I usually leave them full,just formating the oldest full card. I don't have a method, in that sometimes it's done in camera & sometimes in the computer. No problems so far. Don't ask me why I do it that way, I just do. :oops:

I travel light and my empty SD cards are my backup as I don't take a computer.

Jim
Gear List

agl99
156 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 12, 2013 23:41 as a reply to  @ post 16523439 |  #10

When you delete files and add new ones your are filling in the bubbles in swiss cheese. If you format the card, the files will be more orderly, reducing the risk of corruption and it will be more efficient. Formatting on the camera is theoretically better because that process is guaranteed to work and was well tested.

Bilderknipser
889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2010

Dec 13, 2013 00:10 as a reply to  @ agl99's post |  #11

I download images to the computer and leave them on the card, once I made sure all of them downloaded just fine I stick it back into the camera and format there..

Carmen
Mom, Veteran, Student
Gear List

Advanced_AP2
28 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 13, 2013 00:35 |  #12

I delete images on camera after download and format after deleting images. I'm hoping this is the right process but hasn't failed me yet. (knock on wood)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 13, 2013 03:47 |  #13

agl99 wrote in post #16523450 (external link)
When you delete files and add new ones your are filling in the bubbles in swiss cheese. If you format the card, the files will be more orderly, reducing the risk of corruption and it will be more efficient.

It sounds like you're talking about file fragmentation. This is a problem with magnetic storage - Hard Disk Drives - where you want files to be on neighbouring sectors so that the read head didn't have to move across the disk surface too much.

But this isn't a problem with Solid State storage (SSDs and memory cards). It's just as fast to retreive data from two non-adjacent memory blocks as it it to get it from neighbouring blocks. Indeed, to stop the same blocks being over-used the memory controller spreads the data all over the available blocks - it deliberately fragments the files.

There is very little difference between deleting individual files and doing a quick format. With the former the file's entry in the File Allocation Table (FAT - an index to what's on the card and where it lives) is changed to make the areas of memory that it uses marked as 'free to use'. It doesn't actually delete any data. A quick format does the same thing, but for the whole FAT.

Neither method will be more likely to lead to corruption. I format in the camera, because it's easier to do (I have the 'Format' command at the top of 'My Menu'.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,054 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 13, 2013 04:33 |  #14

sliceotime wrote in post #16522223 (external link)
I format in camera before each use.

Very much the same, I always delete the photos when i have uploaded them to aperture but format the card anyway :) normally i do them all the night before an event so i don't have to faff when at the show, just pop one out, next one in :)

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 13, 2013 09:04 |  #15

I've had cards in my d800 for 18 months, they were formatted once before I put them in. No issues with them.

sponsored links

4,207 views & 0 likes for this thread
How often to format SD card?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.