Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 08:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,654 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 12, 2013 12:27 |  #511

archer1960 wrote in post #16521464 (external link)
Which is exactly why we do it... ;-)a

I couldn't care less about the badges on a BMW, I buy them because nothing out there drives quite like one. I know that sounds snobby, but keep in mind I've never spent more than $11k on a car ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
Cream of the Crop
5,749 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 12, 2013 13:13 |  #512

Thanks for the Magic Lantern info!

GEAR LIST

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 12, 2013 13:19 |  #513

Bakewell wrote in post #16520445 (external link)
You have that correct. This fellow has something to say on every topic. (regardless of knowledge).

I'm pretty sure you don't have to have any knowledge to post on Internet forums.

You just have to know how to make stuff up and present it in a way that seems knowledgeable and logical.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 12, 2013 13:28 |  #514

WaltA wrote in post #16522110 (external link)
I'm pretty sure you don't have to have any knowledge to post on Internet forums.

You just have to know how to make stuff up and present it in a way that seems knowledgeable and logical.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh_t!!! :-)

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 12, 2013 13:34 |  #515

Lbsimon wrote in post #16522128 (external link)
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh_t!!! :-)

I've been getting away with it for years. :lol:

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 13, 2013 09:44 |  #516

OneDeep wrote in post #16439215 (external link)
I know it's not the camera but it's the glass or the photographer that makes the pictures good. But everytime I read an comment online it's something about "he's a rebel user" or "it's a rebel" I don't know it just feel like I can't be taken serious by owning a Rebel or having a camera most soccer moms have. I don't use auto mode didn't from day one besides semi auto sometimes but try to keep it in manual.

I just kind of regret my choice of camera and now saving up for a something else. I'm probably the only one that feel this way. That even if I'm just starting out and learning things about my dslr it's not good enough in the eyes of people because it's a rebel.

Not a joke at all. My primary camera for weddings is the 50D and my backup is my Rebel T3. A cousin to my 2nd. shooter uses a Rebel in all her photography and it is very lucrative.

brianh4204
125 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 13, 2013 10:02 |  #517

Charlie wrote in post #16520395 (external link)
that's a really cool trick, too bad I have nothing to try that with.

You can pick up XXO bodies pretty cheap on the used market. ML is a great app that really lets the camera do a lot of creative things. I am only using a very few of the features that it offers. Have seen some pro grade video productions with it. Don't have the patience to learn all it can do. Thinking about picking up another very used lowly Rebel just to have additional options. You can get some pretty candid real life images by leaving the camera alone on a tripod, funny how different people act when there is no one behind the camera..

Madwrench
633 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 13, 2013 10:31 |  #518

brianh4204 wrote in post #16524259 (external link)
You can pick up XXO bodies pretty cheap on the used market. ML is a great app that really lets the camera do a lot of creative things. I am only using a very few of the features that it offers. Have seen some pro grade video productions with it. Don't have the patience to learn all it can do. Thinking about picking up another very used lowly Rebel just to have additional options. You can get some pretty candid real life images by leaving the camera alone on a tripod, funny how different people act when there is no one behind the camera..

Yes, keep your eyes open. I grabbed a T2i (body only) off craigslist last month for $100. Less than 4K shutter pops. I didn't need another "backup" but they are truly such capable units, especially with ML, I couldn't pass it up.

Tiggity-T
221 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 13, 2013 14:04 |  #519

I don't know if this was already said, and I can't wade through 35 pages to find out:

If you are concerned about what others think, I personally think it's ridiculous when I see people pro-sumer and professional level cameras that leave their camera on the AUTO setting because they can't be bothered with learning how to actually use a DSLR and thought throwing more money at it would buy them better pictures. I'd rather see someone with a Rebel who knows what they've got and how to use it than someone with at 5DIII shooting on AUTO.

7D, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, 580EX, 50 1.4 USM, 2̶4̶-̶1̶0̶5̶ ̶f̶/̶4̶, S̶i̶g̶m̶a̶ ̶5̶0̶ ̶f̶/̶1̶.̶4̶,̶ 4̶3̶0̶E̶X̶

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 13, 2013 14:11 |  #520

Tiggity-T wrote in post #16524888 (external link)
I don't know if this was already said, and I can't wade through 35 pages to find out:

If you are concerned about what others think, I personally think it's ridiculous when I see people pro-sumer and professional level cameras that leave their camera on the AUTO setting because they can't be bothered with learning how to actually use a DSLR and thought throwing more money at it would buy them better pictures. I'd rather see someone with a Rebel who knows what they've got and how to use it than someone with at 5DIII shooting on AUTO.

I think it's pretty safe to assume, that after 35 pages... everything has been said/covered.. many times.

Kel
Gear

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 13, 2013 14:15 |  #521

I'm sure it's been said somewhere in 35 pages, but simply shooting in AUTO doesn't necessarily make the assumption truth in that person not knowing how to actually use DSLR. I know my camera extremely well and have been involved in photography before cameras even had AUTO expose and focusing.

However, you will find me with my settings to Aperture priority often since I am manually adjusting the aperture to achieve the shutters best option. I do this a lot since many times I am also balancing ambient with strobe.

My flash unit is also set to auto, does this mean I have never bothered learning how to use it? Hardly, I have five monolights that have no auto and can only be set manually.

So perhaps that person you judged to be using auto and having no comprehension or ability to do otherwise, simply chose this fully aware of the lighting situation and desired DOF. And then again, maybe they don't anything about photography, but who are we to judge them in the same way those who are judging Rebel users as being a joke?

Not even sure why I posted in this never-ending thread??? Just bored I guess.

Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
Cream of the Crop
5,749 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 13, 2013 14:33 |  #522

I forced myself from the second day I got my T3i to shoot strictly manual. When I go to shoot, I set the camera for what I think I need, and usually I'm dead-on or just off slightly. I know a lot of people use AP, but I feel like I'm cheating myself if I shoot anything but manual. I don't care what or how anyone else shoots...I'm happy with the results I get from what I have, and how far I've come to achieve them. When I can upgrade, I will, and hopefully continue my learning at a new level.

GEAR LIST

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 13, 2013 14:33 |  #523

Besides the fact these AUTO users may be extremely skilled photographers, you are missing a point. In some situations you do get better photos from the pro-level cameras even when using AUTO. Never ignore the extra ISO performance you may get from a full-format camera - a twice as large sensor will collect twice as much photons...

And no - I don't mind seeing people with a 5D3 on AUTO. Why should I care about that? That would be like saying I should be upset with anyone who decides to get a car with automatic gearbox instead of buying a stick shift.

In the end, I can't do anything but focus on my own camera and how I personally decide to use it. Spending time worrying about others choice of camera or others choice of camera settings is rather silly - unless someone does explicitly want help in which case it is polite to suggest alternative camera settings that can give better results.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

HippieMagic
38 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 13, 2013 16:29 as a reply to  @ post 16440438 |  #524

It has been forever since I posted... It seems like a good time to come back so...

I have been using a Rebel XSi and a Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 DG Macro lens which is incredibly cheap and actually not that bad at all. I am just looking for more out of the camera. As it stands I do feel a bit limited with this particular Rebel but I never felt like the image quality was the reason. In fact, most people don't even notice that I am using a "cheap" camera.

I don't like the XSi's size. It is too small for my hand and it feels awkward to shoot. I also don't like not having peace of mind when shooting outdoors in all weather conditions. The XSi has a cheap feel to it in general that I just don't care for. I mean it is well built for being plastic but it is still plastic...

As for problems... I have had a few problems with the XSi that just didn't make a ton of sense to me. One time it didn't really want to come on. I would flip the switch and it just didn't seem to respond. Another time I was in the middle of the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum and it just refused to take a picture. It had a full charge but it refused to fire. I would press the button multiple times and nothing. A half press would let it focus but a full press was completely ignored. After turning it off and back on as well as numerous other things it just never fixed the issue. After I left the asylum it worked perfectly fine. I mean we can say it was paranormal due to the setting but I am thinking otherwise and I just can't have the camera refusing to take pics from time to time.

I am actually considering grabbing a 5D Mark III and some really good glass to cover all my issues with the XSi. It is an investment, but considering I am trying to go pro, it seems like a good one.

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 13, 2013 17:06 |  #525

HippieMagic wrote in post #16525185 (external link)
It has been forever since I posted... It seems like a good time to come back so...

I have been using a Rebel XSi and a Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 DG Macro lens which is incredibly cheap and actually not that bad at all. I am just looking for more out of the camera. As it stands I do feel a bit limited with this particular Rebel but I never felt like the image quality was the reason. In fact, most people don't even notice that I am using a "cheap" camera.

I don't like the XSi's size. It is too small for my hand and it feels awkward to shoot. I also don't like not having peace of mind when shooting outdoors in all weather conditions. The XSi has a cheap feel to it in general that I just don't care for. I mean it is well built for being plastic but it is still plastic...

As for problems... I have had a few problems with the XSi that just didn't make a ton of sense to me. One time it didn't really want to come on. I would flip the switch and it just didn't seem to respond. Another time I was in the middle of the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum and it just refused to take a picture. It had a full charge but it refused to fire. I would press the button multiple times and nothing. A half press would let it focus but a full press was completely ignored. After turning it off and back on as well as numerous other things it just never fixed the issue. After I left the asylum it worked perfectly fine. I mean we can say it was paranormal due to the setting but I am thinking otherwise and I just can't have the camera refusing to take pics from time to time.

I am actually considering grabbing a 5D Mark III and some really good glass to cover all my issues with the XSi. It is an investment, but considering I am trying to go pro, it seems like a good one.

What were your settings for the asylum shoot? Was it really dark in there?

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

sponsored links

76,132 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.