Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 22:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Muslin ... One 10x20 or Two 10x13 ? Color Faves ?

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,458 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 12, 2013 22:39 |  #1

Although I may get paper down the line, Muslin is what I plan to start with. I'm going to try out some 10 ft. stands by Ravelli. They have some 13 ft. Which are not much more, but the 10 ft. seems plenty.

I'd like enough muslin for about 10 x 20 ft. but noticed there are 10 x 13 ft. muslin, like with black. A though came that maybe two of a smaller size might be better than a single 10 x 20 piece. Anyone have preferences on that?

Also, what are some folks' favorite backdrop colors? Or what colors you prefer for certain things, or certain people.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 13, 2013 11:48 |  #2

Do you often shoot large enough groups to warrant the 10x20? 10x13 is pretty big. If posed appropriately, you could probably fit a dozen people in 10x13.

That's assuming you don't need a long sweep onto the floor, I guess.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 13, 2013 15:32 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #3

I have 10x13's and wish I had 10x20's now. 13' long is not enough for a full length if you wanna blow backgrounds. Its hard to get enough seperation with only 5' sweep onto the floor.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,211 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 13, 2013 15:47 |  #4

Black, white, and gray to start with. Colors are fine, but if you use them much they get a bit monotonous.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,458 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 13, 2013 16:09 |  #5

nathancarter wrote in post #16524558 (external link)
Do you often shoot large enough groups to warrant the 10x20? 10x13 is pretty big. If posed appropriately, you could probably fit a dozen people in 10x13.

That's assuming you don't need a long sweep onto the floor, I guess.

Typically 1 person, and just lately for the first time, two people.

Actually, I sort of like the way the attached photo looked using a light color on the ground and black behind. The light one was a painting drop cloth from Home Depot improvised. Also photographed them with all light color ( 4 drop cloths). This was where I started wondering about whether Getting 2 smaller units of each color may be practical to mix colors.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,458 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 13, 2013 16:13 |  #6

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #16525059 (external link)
I have 10x13's and wish I had 10x20's now. 13' long is not enough for a full length if you wanna blow backgrounds. Its hard to get enough seperation with only 5' sweep onto the floor.

If you laid an extra 10 x 13 down, would that suffice for you? Would the "seam" be discreet enough?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,211 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 13, 2013 16:16 |  #7

mdvaden wrote in post #16525148 (external link)
If you laid an extra 10 x 13 down, would that suffice for you? Would the "seam" be discreet enough?

The whole idea of a sweep to the floor is to get a curve so that there is no perceived horizon line. So its more than just a seam that you are dealing with.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 13, 2013 16:33 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #8

If I had two of the same color then I could lay the floor drop first and sweep the vertical drop like I do now. But I would rather have it as all one, so there is less to fix in post. Because of this issue I am working on finding some paper locally to try out. Tired of the wrinkels already using muslin.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,458 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 13, 2013 17:31 |  #9

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #16525192 (external link)
If I had two of the same color then I could lay the floor drop first and sweep the vertical drop like I do now. But I would rather have it as all one, so there is less to fix in post. Because of this issue I am working on finding some paper locally to try out. Tired of the wrinkels already using muslin.

Just watched an interesting video on youtube, where the guy showed how fast the wrinkles vanished from muslin as he sprayed it with a weed sprayer / wand. Not even two minutes.

I'd almost want to try it myself though, and see if the wrinkles remained gone too as it dried.

Didn't really take that much water when he did it, and looks like the spray was confined to the muslin. Having used similar sprayers for work, I'd guess the muslin could dry during the course of a 1 hour shoot.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 13, 2013 17:55 |  #10

mdvaden wrote in post #16525315 (external link)
Just watched an interesting video on youtube, where the guy showed how fast the wrinkles vanished from muslin as he sprayed it with a weed sprayer / wand. Not even two minutes.

I'd almost want to try it myself though, and see if the wrinkles remained gone too as it dried.

Didn't really take that much water when he did it, and looks like the spray was confined to the muslin. Having used similar sprayers for work, I'd guess the muslin could dry during the course of a 1 hour shoot.

I have a steamer that works good, but its still a pita for a quick shot if I have had the muslin in storage. I just about have a studio space finished where I can just roll it up and down, so that should help.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,458 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 13, 2013 18:29 |  #11

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #16525375 (external link)
I have a steamer that works good, but its still a pita for a quick shot if I have had the muslin in storage. I just about have a studio space finished where I can just roll it up and down, so that should help.

I've been finding some old posts where folks recommend stuffing muslin to wrinkle it even more with smaller wrinkles. But I suspect that may not be very nice for black. I can imagine it for patterns, but having trouble visualizing it looking right for solid like black.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 13, 2013 20:56 |  #12

mdvaden wrote in post #16525445 (external link)
I've been finding some old posts where folks recommend stuffing muslin to wrinkle it even more with smaller wrinkles. But I suspect that may not be very nice for black. I can imagine it for patterns, but having trouble visualizing it looking right for solid like black.

If you are going for a solid black background and you light your subject with a little distance from the muslin it all falls to black and you wont see the wrinkles. I can get my solid white to turn gray/black with little effort.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 16, 2013 10:52 |  #13

For white - blown-out or not - I like Zack Arias' method of using white paper with a very short sweep, then tileboard on the floor.
http://www.zarias.com …torial-part-1-gear-space/ (external link)

It's inexpensive and it works. It's not easy to transport unless you have a truck or van, though.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,211 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 16, 2013 11:01 |  #14

mdvaden wrote in post #16525445 (external link)

Actually its the other way around. If you maintain enough distance black is the easiest as falloff makes it go really black. Its only when you get sloppy and let your key and fill lights spill onto the drop that you have to worry about the black and wrinkles. But if you let that light spill on the drop, its not going to be particularly black at that point either. Wrinkles are more apparent on gray, or on white if you arent totally blowing it out and are letting it fall to off white or gray.

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 17, 2013 12:35 |  #15

I use 10x20 green screen exclusively.

sponsored links

2,085 views & 0 likes for this thread
Muslin ... One 10x20 or Two 10x13 ? Color Faves ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.