Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 13 Dec 2013 (Friday) 12:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First snow shoot with a new lens to me

xarik
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 13, 2013 12:06 |  #1

Hey guys,

I took a risk and shot with my 28-70mm 2.8 L lens that has a fungus in it (shun me but it's my gear and I'm taking the risk cuz I'm young and dumb lol)

So here' what happenin, it was an awful day, but it was the second time we had rescheduled already. It was blistering winds, about 4 degrees outside and snowing hard thick snow that hurt :P. We went ahead with the shoot for about an hour and then gave up so I was hard pressed to get the best I could

It was my first time shooting snow and my first time shooting with this lens (for a shoot)...thankfully I feel that the lens performed flawlessly, but the snow was throwing off my WB a bit and I didn't know what to set it to so I was hoping that the RAW files would save me a bit there :P

I think they did so let me know what you think

Disclaimer: I appreciate my work and pride myself a little bit in it so I'm very sorry if I come off as not wanting help, ignore me if you have to ;P

IMAGE: http://i39.tinypic.com/2ivcmqw.jpg

IMAGE: http://i39.tinypic.com/70gsgm.jpg

IMAGE: http://i41.tinypic.com/33e6geq.jpg

IMAGE: http://i44.tinypic.com/5u23gl.jpg

IMAGE: http://i41.tinypic.com/11r3yvo.jpg

All shot with a t3i and the 28-70mm F2.8 L lens. Edited with LR (my first time using LR after finally figuring it out)

Bodies: Canon 5D3 - Canon 1D4
Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake
Extras: 2 Neewer TT520 Speedlites - Manfrotto 3021BPRO and ballhead

Check out my Flickr (external link)!

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 13, 2013 12:15 |  #2

The first 3 are a bit underexposed. You've posed them with brighter areas behind them and their faces in shadow so without fill or boosting the entire scene they will appear a little dark.

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 13, 2013 12:20 |  #3

I will go in with a lighten brush and try that. Should I put in a dab of contrast and darkness in the background as well?

Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 13, 2013 12:22 |  #4

xarik wrote in post #16524638 (external link)
I will go in with a lighten brush and try that. Should I put in a dab of contrast and darkness in the background as well?

Thats up to you and your vision. You want snow to look white so probably not too much.

Micro5797
487 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 13, 2013 12:42 |  #5

What i find with shooting with snow, is that the camera will tend to under expose, often by 2/3+. The metering sees so much white that it under exposes. It is like shooting with a low sun being behind your subject. This being said, exposure compensation will help in this area.

As gonzogolf said fill light would make a huge difference.The missing catch light from there eyes makes them look somewhat lifeless. I know often times you cant catch the light with a reflector as you are around a lot of trees or don't have someone to hold the reflector.

If you do not have an speed light or are not comfortable/unfamiliar with using one, i would use the pop up flash, but set the flash exposure compensation to -2/3 stop or so. This adds enough fill light on their face so that the picture does not look flashy and it also adds a catch light. You may have to be at 1/200 or slower shutter for the pop up flash to fire.

Keep in mind that if they are near the edge of an open area with snow on the ground, you may be able to use the snow as a reflector.

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 13, 2013 17:13 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Guy has clenched fist in first shot. You want hands to be relaxex

Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 13, 2013 19:18 |  #7

xarik wrote in post #16524599 (external link)
Hey guys,

I took a risk and shot with my 28-70mm 2.8 L lens that has a fungus in it (shun me but it's my gear and I'm taking the risk cuz I'm young and dumb lol)

So here' what happenin, it was an awful day, but it was the second time we had rescheduled already. It was blistering winds, about 4 degrees outside and snowing hard thick snow that hurt :P. We went ahead with the shoot for about an hour and then gave up so I was hard pressed to get the best I could

It was my first time shooting snow and my first time shooting with this lens (for a shoot)...thankfully I feel that the lens performed flawlessly, but the snow was throwing off my WB a bit and I didn't know what to set it to so I was hoping that the RAW files would save me a bit there :P

I think they did so let me know what you think

Disclaimer: I appreciate my work and pride myself a little bit in it so I'm very sorry if I come off as not wanting help, ignore me if you have to ;P

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

All shot with a t3i and the 28-70mm F2.8 L lens. Edited with LR (my first time using LR after finally figuring it out)

I personally hate it when people know they're getting their photos taken and don't bother with personal grooming.

Like that guy could have brushed his hair or trimmed his beard.

Girl could have done a lot too.

No offense to your models or anything.

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 13, 2013 23:42 |  #8

Kanye, it was blistering winds out (mentioned in OP) so not much we could have done there =(. I tried a shot or two with my manual Neewer flash and hated it =P I need to familiarize myself with them more but idk where to start for outdoors =\.

Qbx
Goldmember
3,962 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 17, 2013 09:40 |  #9

I think I'd work on taking some red out of the ears and nose; otherwise pretty nice.

-- Image Editing OK --

chubbyone
661 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 17, 2013 13:48 |  #10

Not a lot works here, I'm sorry.

Background is distracting in 2 and 3, lighting is off in all as noted, and posing/expression's aren't doing it for me.

All of the images look soft/noisy to my eye, could be the compression for posting.

As said, learn to single out the reds in PS and dial them back, skin tone is crucial. The whitening on the teeth looks to need improvement as well.

The guy looks as though he was wearing a hat, which could have been left on given the elements, would have helped his appearance.

Again, sorry to be harsh, keep practicing!

6D | EF 35 f2 IS | EF 50 f1.4 | EF 85 f1.8 | EF 135 f2.0

Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 17, 2013 16:14 |  #11

One last thing, personally:

1. look out for harsh shadows, hard lines.
2. overall composition; too many distractions in the first pic like the tree branches on the right side
3. Women don't tend to like harsh lines on their faces as a sign of aging, so consider smoothing out some crows feet.
4. HAIR. HAIR. HAIR. Everyone has bad hair. Pick a better situational perhaps. I mean it's not TOO bad, but you can't have people with constant bad hair days all the time.

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 17, 2013 21:16 |  #12

I'll repeat again that the weather was absolute garbage. 4 degrees out and very windy (blistering winds). I agree that he should have kept his hat on. I could do a bit more work on it but I haven't started edited any others but I learned quite a bit more on LR yesterday when editing another couple in snow. I can't get rid of the distractions and I personally prefer them because it's not a distraction unless you have ADHD and are just looking all around, my eyes go straight to the couple lol. They asked for the pictures at this location so I'm not sure how I could have compressed the background more, any suggestions there? Obviously I would like to work on it if I can...thanks for looking

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 18, 2013 08:51 |  #13

xarik wrote in post #16535750 (external link)
I'll repeat again that the weather was absolute garbage. 4 degrees out and very windy (blistering winds). I agree that he should have kept his hat on. I could do a bit more work on it but I haven't started edited any others but I learned quite a bit more on LR yesterday when editing another couple in snow. I can't get rid of the distractions and I personally prefer them because it's not a distraction unless you have ADHD and are just looking all around, my eyes go straight to the couple lol. They asked for the pictures at this location so I'm not sure how I could have compressed the background more, any suggestions there? Obviously I would like to work on it if I can...thanks for looking

Relax big guy. If you get defensive you dont absorb the critique for what it is and you'll miss out on an opportunity for growth. You can limit the distractions and you might prefer them, but if cluttered backgrounds are your style you'll not be too busy in the future. You can limit the distractions by using shallower depth of field, by using flash/ambient balance to control the background balance. I feel your pain about the somewhat slovenly subjects, you arent a stylist and you shot what they brought to the table. But now going forward you will think twice about doing a shoot under conditions where you cant be successful or at least have a word with the subjects about style. Just keep in mind that nothing happens until you push the button so dont let yourself off the hook by blaming things. Being a good photographer is about controlling the image rather than just grabbing a capture.

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 18, 2013 22:43 |  #14

Thanks gonzo! You always are helpful lol. Thanks everyone else too! I did say I can be defensive but just ignore me lol. I will have to be more considerate of conditions as it was very difficult and I made some mistakes. I wish I had more time to get better shots and hopefully they like what Oi have so far. Will comment more when I'm home this weekend

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 20, 2013 09:16 |  #15

Here's another shoot I did a week later....I had similar issues with the weather :/ I also had issues trying to compress the snowflakes so it looked like there was more snow there...Any suggestions on getting more snow in? (I will probably post another thread asking this same question but could use help on skin color grading cuz I can't see to get it :/ )

thanks!

IMAGE: http://i39.tinypic.com/157ncb8.jpg

I understand he's in an awkward position :/
IMAGE: http://i42.tinypic.com/296nlsn.jpg

sponsored links

2,528 views & 0 likes for this thread
First snow shoot with a new lens to me
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.