Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 20:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If you bought a lens on ebay

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 13, 2013 14:10 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

Furlan wrote in post #16524715 (external link)
If I buy a new car from a dealer, have a flat bed bring it to my house, stick it in my garage and don't drive it for 15 years, can I sell it as new? No.

The seller described it as new, but it is used. Either ask for a discount down to the average selling price of a used lens, or open an Item Not as Described case.

This is an example of why people have problems on ebay.

If a vehicle has not been registered and you store it for twenty years in hopes of
of its value increasing its still new.

People who have problems on E-Bay just don't do their homework. If this lens sat on
a shelf for fourteen years unused its NEW!

The bottom line if the item was not purchased from a retailer...then it is used by definition. The OP should have known whether he was purchasing from a retailer or not.

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 13, 2013 14:13 |  #32
bannedPermanent ban

KirkS518 wrote in post #16524761 (external link)
I don't have a problem on ebay. Been a buyer/seller since 1999, top rated seller, and power seller. Yes, you are correct - homework is what makes ebay good or bad. Unfortunately in this case, the buyer tried to do his homework, but was never given the information he requested, and ended up with a lens much older than what I believe he thought he was getting.

The seller is not a retailer, so it is not new. Period. It can and appears to be in like new condition, but by no stretch of the imagination is it a new lens.

And show me a dealership that can/will release a car without it being registered. I don't believe that can be done in any state in the US. I used that just as an example that might get the point across. Besides, once any product is sold by the retailer to the end consumer, it is no longer new.

Yes, the OP got a great lens, but he also was duped into believing it was NEW. That is a problem. It is blatant misrepresentation of the item, which falls under ebay's buyer protection of Item Not As Described. Heck, if a seller says he ships Priority Mail, but sends it first class, it also becomes and item not as described.

Sorry everyone, but I really think the seller owes the OP/buyer a discount to bring it in line with other used lenses.

Well if the OP really did his homework, he should have known he was purchasing a used lens since it was not from a retailer. Even if the lens was never taken out of the box, many warranties are not carried across to the second owner...so the lens was used. The condition of the lens sounds like it was never used, which is good.

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 13, 2013 14:22 |  #33

I think OP said the lens was described as being in NEW condition.

1new adjective \ˈnü, chiefly British ˈnyü, in place names usually (ˌ)nu̇ or nə or (ˌ)ni\

: not old : recently born, built, or created

: not used by anyone else previously

: recently bought, rented, etc.

Based on Merriam-Webster this lens cannot be new, but it surely cam be in new condition.

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

qdrummer21
121 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 13, 2013 14:33 |  #34

KirkS518 wrote in post #16524761 (external link)
And show me a dealership that can/will release a car without it being registered. I don't believe that can be done in any state in the US.

Every dealer in Maine and New Hampshire. The only requirement for the car to to leave the lot is that it must meet insurance requirements set by the bank if the car is purchased with a loan. Additionally, in Maine if the car was purchase in full with cash you must have liability insurance at a minimum for it to leave the lot.

For both states the dealer issues you a temporary plate. Full registrations are handled at the town/city hall in which you live and they're not open on weekends so this process allows for sales 7-days per week with no problems or delays in delivery. It's been a while since I bought a new car so I don't recall the exact length the temps are good for but it's something like 14-30 days.

FlyFishingTN
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 13, 2013 14:39 as a reply to  @ Shane W's post |  #35

Why is it so hard to understand that a 15 year old lens, with delicate electronics and firmware built into it, isn't new?

I could see if he purchased it recently and didn't use it. That's what I was expecting. Sure call it new. But you can't own something for 15 years and try to pass it off as new.

If I bought this sold as new from a retailer and got a 1999 version I'd return it and never buy there again. This is a lens that costs a lot of money. People should be very upfront with information about it when selling.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 13, 2013 16:43 |  #36
bannedPermanent ban

Here is the eBay definition of New Other

A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, or in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may be a factory second or a new, unused item with defects.*See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Basically, it states the item to be called New Other, it must not have been used. I believe the description of this lens really indicates it has not been used, so basically meets Ebay's definition of New Other.

eBay has another category that is New which States the item must be brand new, unused, unopened etc...

From the eBay listing, I think the seller was honest.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 13, 2013 16:47 |  #37

qdrummer21 wrote in post #16524948 (external link)
Every dealer in Maine and New Hampshire. The only requirement for the car to to leave the lot is that it must meet insurance requirements set by the bank if the car is purchased with a loan. Additionally, in Maine if the car was purchase in full with cash you must have liability insurance at a minimum for it to leave the lot.

For both states the dealer issues you a temporary plate. Full registrations are handled at the town/city hall in which you live and they're not open on weekends so this process allows for sales 7-days per week with no problems or delays in delivery. It's been a while since I bought a new car so I don't recall the exact length the temps are good for but it's something like 14-30 days.

Temporary plates are proof that registration for the vehicle has been submitted, meaning it is a registered vehicle, no matter what day it was bought. It's not a promise to get it registered. Otherwise, it can't be driven on the road.

Not sure about ME and NH, but an unregistered vehicle can not be driven on a public roadway, and in some states, not even on a private road or property (bizarre). But if that's the case, I learned something today!

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Furlan
745 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 13, 2013 16:49 |  #38

Shane W wrote in post #16524929 (external link)
I think OP said the lens was described as being in NEW condition.

1new adjective \ˈnü, chiefly British ˈnyü, in place names usually (ˌ)nu̇ or nə or (ˌ)ni\

: not old : recently born, built, or created

: not used by anyone else previously

: recently bought, rented, etc.

Based on Merriam-Webster this lens cannot be new, but it surely cam be in new condition.

Lets throw out recently bought,rented and etc. According to the other two
definitions both apply the lens is indeed old but on the the other hand it qualifies
as NEW as it was not used by anyone. Challenge this on E-Bay and seller wins seller
reduces price he's an Idiot.

Best suggestion I've seen is the seller should have listed it as "never been used or
something like that" now what would that word be.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 13, 2013 17:40 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

Furlan wrote in post #16525229 (external link)
Lets throw out recently bought,rented and etc. According to the other two
definitions both apply the lens is indeed old but on the the other hand it qualifies
as NEW as it was not used by anyone. Challenge this on E-Bay and seller wins seller
reduces price he's an Idiot.

Best suggestion I've seen is the seller should have listed it as "never been used or
something like that" now what would that word be.

There is no category of "never been used". I think "New other" is as close as it gets. He stated that he got the lens for a Safari, but did not take it with him. Never used the lens.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 13, 2013 18:24 |  #40

Who in their right mind would believe someone that says he bought a $5000+/- lens, held onto it for 14 years, and never, ever used it. Didn't even test it out in the backyard, nope, never used. Just plunked it in the closet. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Per eBay:

New

A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details.

New other (see details)

A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, or in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may be a factory second or a new, unused item with defects. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Used

An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

It's either New Other, or Used. It's whether you believe the seller never even mounted it to his camera in 14 years.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. And an Easter Rabbit, Tooth fairy, Unicorns, Leprechauns.......

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 13, 2013 18:35 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

KirkS518 wrote in post #16525433 (external link)
Who in their right mind would believe someone that says he bought a $5000+/- lens, held onto it for 14 years, and never, ever used it. Didn't even test it out in the backyard, nope, never used. Just plunked it in the closet. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Per eBay:

It's either New Other, or Used. It's whether you believe the seller never even mounted it to his camera in 14 years.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. And an Easter Rabbit, Tooth fairy, Unicorns, Leprechauns.......

It was classified as "new other". Op described it as basically flawless. Obviously the lens was mounted onto a camera...but most likely was never used in the field. No indication it was used so I don't understand your tirade. The seller never called it New.

Also I never seen where the seller said he hung onto the lens for 14 years. He could of purchased the lens recently from a store where high dollar items don't move very fast. You seem to jump to a lot of conclusions without fact.

Copper ­ NYC
386 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 13, 2013 18:49 |  #42

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16524347 (external link)
All lenses of a certain model are made in the same way, there are no changes - minor or otherwise - that occur from year to year. Hence, a 300 f2.8 from 1999 is not different in any way from a 300 f2.8 made in 2007, or 2011, for that matter.

tend to disagree, http://www.lensrentals​.com/blog/2013/07/sile​nt-changes (external link)

40D Gripped, 50D, T2I Gripped, 5D Mark III Gripped, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS
EF 28 f/2.8 IS, EF 40 2.8 STM, EF 50 f/1.4 USM,
EF 85 f/1.8 USM, EF 100 f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 24-105L f/4.0
EF 28-80 USM, the good one with metal mount and ring USM.
EF 28-80 USM V, EF 28-135 USM IS, EF 100-300 USM, EF 100-400L USM IS.
Rokinon 14 f/2.8

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,211 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 13, 2013 19:05 |  #43

assuming this is the listing...it seems like he doesn't owe you anything...pretty much described it on point...if you were concerned with the date code you should have asked before using the buyitnow...and if you lost it you lost it, but at least you would've known the date code since it seems to be of more importance to you than the actual condition of the lens

http://www.ebay.com …nc&_trksid=p204​7675.l2557 (external link)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 13, 2013 19:10 |  #44
bannedPermanent ban

DreDaze wrote in post #16525520 (external link)
assuming this is the listing...it seems like he doesn't owe you anything...pretty much described it on point...if you were concerned with the date code you should have asked before using the buyitnow...and if you lost it you lost it, but at least you would've known the date code since it seems to be of more importance to you than the actual condition of the lens

http://www.ebay.com …nc&_trksid=p204​7675.l2557 (external link)

That is the listing I saw also. I agree with you, the seller was upfront with the ad. Buyer should have inquired more throughly if he was worried about the date code.

FlyFishingTN
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 13, 2013 19:14 |  #45

Again, the seller and I have come to an agreement. He's a man of integrity and so am I. Neither of us are out to cheat anyone. There was a 14 day return policy. In the end the seller is the one who needs to be happy. This is especially so when your talking about lenses that cost what alot of people pay for a car.

sponsored links

6,104 views & 0 likes for this thread
If you bought a lens on ebay
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.