Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 00:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Questioning a future Photo shoot..

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 13, 2013 02:31 |  #91

cdifoto wrote in post #16523212 (external link)
... I'll bend over backwards for my clients but people who try to weasel free work are not clients. They don't get the same respect or treatment.

This is the distinction some people don't see.

My customers get A* service, people who just want to mess me about get nothing. It's simple.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 13, 2013 02:52 |  #92

Phil V wrote in post #16523658 (external link)
My customers get A* service, people who just want to mess me about get nothing. It's simple.

"You give me nothing... you get nothing" works for me

Peter

RunAmok
97 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 13, 2013 07:53 |  #93

Sounds like the type to go to a restaurant, get the free appetizer, and bolt.

cdifoto wrote in post #16523167 (external link)
My opinion? F*ck this guy.

Agreed, what a dirtbag. I'd report every image.

Canon 7D + grip | EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS | EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | EF 400 f/5.6L
flickr (external link)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 13, 2013 10:08 |  #94

CMfromIL wrote in post #16523142 (external link)
You don't have to be 'friends'.

https://www.facebook.c​om/help/contact/208282​075858952 (external link)

And just in case you need more ammunition, removing the watermark is a separate issue to © violations: From Carolyn E Wright's blog: (external link) Section 1202 of the U.S. Copyright Act makes it illegal for someone to remove the watermark from your photo so that it can disguise the infringement when used. The fines start at $2500 and go to $25,000 in addition to attorneys' fees and any damages for the infringement.
The pertinent part of the statute is included the link.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 13, 2013 10:18 |  #95

Well you wanted a way out of your job - this guy may have inadvertantly done you a favour - I am sure that the fines that Frank mentioned are PER PHOTO or am I mistaken.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 13, 2013 11:15 |  #96

OP is in Vancouver, Canada so US copyright laws will not apply. I am unfamiliar with the copyright laws in Canada.

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2013 16:00 |  #97

Phil V wrote in post #16523652 (external link)
You're a really nice guy. I'm a nice bloke but there are times when being in the right means you absolutely deserve to get your own way.

If you work with an ******* who is prepared to rip you off, mess you about, steal from you, then you make sure you use whatever power you have to let him know that's unacceptable.

Contracts (I know it was the other post) don't create hassle, they save you from it. And when someone thinks they can mess you around for no pay, then steal pictures for FB, you get the pictures taken down, that's the rules we live by.

When this co-worker goes and tells his story, do you think anyone's going to feel sorry for him? They might nod and bite their tongue, but behind his back the story will be 'what an utter jerk'. The only 'customers' the OP would lose from this are other people planning to do the same.

Thanks Phil,

I appreciate the different points of views. :)

I get what you're saying in regards to being ripped off- and I'm not saying that the OP should do nothing - I'm just saying that he first could consider all his options, and where each could lead, and make a decision there.

I hate injustice. I hate what's happened to this photographer too. It stinks. I guess I look at it from my experiences where I've been ripped off before - and a few times I've spent countless sleepless nights tossing and turning about the injustice and how to get justice. In some cases, my desire for justice (or revenge ;) ) have actually cost me more in the end than the original offense. Now I weigh up my battles a little more carefully, and sometimes have considered that it's better to let things go, and learn from my mistake so it wouldn't happen again rather than to throw more time/money/effort/ener​gy in, and that's where my comments are driven from.

Since most posts here have been saying 'stick it to him' I have given the OP something else to consider before making that decision. The OP knows this guy, and his employment arrangements - I don't - and he's the best one to make an informed decision. Since the situation is more than just a client ripping him off, and has other aspects, I'm suggesting to consider whether various options have good potential to cause significant grief & hardship in the future at his main job or not, and which potential outcomes are worth it, and which aren't.

Just to clarify - I'm not implying that the OP should let this one go - I'm simply suggesting weigh up the different options and potential outcomes first before making a decision on which way to go.

You make a good point about the contracts, and I accept what you (and others) are saying there. I believe I should reconsider my thoughts on contracts - even from a hobbyist / weekend shooter's point of view. I guess I'm still learning something new every day, and have had the thought that doing photography on the side (weekends) where I'm starting off with friends and acquaintances that contracts could be considered rude - but thanks to a variety of replies, I'm seeing that people can actually see them as being more professional and they might not be the problem that I first thought they could be. I'm Still learning. :)

Thanks again for your comments, and have a great weekend!

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2013 16:06 |  #98

cdifoto wrote in post #16523167 (external link)
Are you implying that OP should just roll over and take it just because this guy is his coworker? My opinion? F*ck this guy. He's a coworker not a boss. He's not even a customer because he didn't pay a cent. And there are laws that would protect him from being screwed by his boss for something that occurred outside the workplace.

Aren't you the same guy who recommended not using contracts? There are times to be diplomatic and this isn't one of them. Bending over isn't diplomacy.

Hey CDIFoto,

I'm not implying that just because he's a co worker he should roll over. I'll save some typing and refer you to my previous post above as to my thoughts with that.

As for the contract, yes - I was the guys who (incorrectly) thought that contracts could potentially have other side effects, but after what you posted straight after - I saw the error of my ways and thanked you for correcting me. :)

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 13, 2013 16:26 |  #99

One also has to think that this could lead to losing a potential client. Someone who is looking for a photographer sees this guys pictures online edited by someone else and are not up to his normal standard. They decide to look elsewhere because they are assuming that is what the guys work normally looks like.

Yes, he screwed you and I would get them taken down simply because they have YOUR name attached to them and if you are starting out you don't want their crappy edited photos associated with YOU.

Mr.Kenmuir
THREAD ­ STARTER
316 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 13, 2013 17:40 |  #100

First I want to thank you all for all the information.....but...

This blew my mind....

Ready?

After our shift was done at work today he called me to the side...

He paid in Full..I was really surprised myself, with his actions and communication I thought I'd never see a dime.

Still not taking any risks in the future, contract will be the first thing that is implemented before any clicks on the camera take place

Vancouver B.C. Family Based Photographer | Flickr (external link) | Official Site (external link)

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
21,271 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 13, 2013 18:07 |  #101

Mr.Kenmuir wrote in post #16525336 (external link)
This blew my mind....

Ready?

After our shift was done at work today he called me to the side...

He paid in Full.

My mind is blown alongside yours.

Uh, was that by cash or check? Cash, I hope.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2013 19:19 |  #102

That is really fantastic news. Great to hear that it's ended well in the end. (Hopefully you haven't deleted those photo's yet ;-)a )

RunAmok
97 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 13, 2013 19:52 |  #103

Wow, really glad it turned out okay!

Canon 7D + grip | EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS | EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | EF 400 f/5.6L
flickr (external link)

Mr.Kenmuir
THREAD ­ STARTER
316 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 13, 2013 20:22 as a reply to  @ RunAmok's post |  #104

Cash, full amount, when I say full I mean full. He didn't pay in regards of the discount, but the full amount of the package we originally discussed.

Vancouver B.C. Family Based Photographer | Flickr (external link) | Official Site (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 13, 2013 21:39 |  #105

Why do you think he did that ?

Mr.Kenmuir wrote in post #16525646 (external link)
Cash, full amount, when I say full I mean full. He didn't pay in regards of the discount, but the full amount of the package we originally discussed.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

sponsored links

14,229 views & 0 likes for this thread
Questioning a future Photo shoot..
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.