Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 13 Dec 2013 (Friday) 22:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Relay Internet signal?

SarahJD
208 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 13, 2013 22:03 |  #1

Hi all.

We have internet in our house that doesn't reach one room - the room with my desktop. How to we remedy this? Is there something that relays the signal? A larger antenna? Buy a new router? Apple Airport Express? If you all could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it! (Our router is a Motorola SURFboard SBG6580)

Thanks!

Sarah

sponsored links
SarahJD
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 13, 2013 22:21 |  #2

Cable. It's wired into the router. Every device connected to internet is wireless. The room it doesn't hit is over the garage. Not a mansion. Lol When the router was in there it didn't hit the rest of the house well so there must be some sort of interference. That's when we moved it to a more central location.

Sarah

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 14, 2013 00:17 as a reply to  @ post 16525837 |  #3

would this work for your situation?
http://www.dlink.com …lutions/connect​/powerline (external link)

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 14, 2013 00:53 |  #4

There are several listed on Amazon, just search for "wifi repeater" or "wifi relay".

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,972 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 14, 2013 02:16 |  #5

WiFi repeaters reduce your available bandwidth by half. The best option is to run an ethernet cable and set up a second wireless network. The next best option is ethernet over powerline, then make a second wireless network.

Set it up with the same SSID on a different channel with the same security and password, the devices should roam between them. I set mine up with different names and I change manually, which is a bit annoying.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 14, 2013 02:45 |  #6

Run an ethernet cable if you can, after that I'd go with powerline networking if possible. Wireless is convenient but ultimately crap and repeaters just make it more crap.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,941 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Dec 14, 2013 03:19 |  #7

depending on your internet speed, the reduced bandwidth by using Wifi repeaters may not matter. I've used Powerline network gear at a couple of sites and that seems to work fine so long as the power is on the same phase connection, althought the thruput isn't as good as a decent Wifi connection - and an Ethernet cable beats anything short of fibreoptic...

Start by working out what speed thruput you need, then work out how you're going to achieve that.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,816 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 14, 2013 08:56 |  #8

We turned wifi off on the modem/router. We ran Ethernet from modem to a new Time Capsule which generates a wifi network that does ac spec. The TC does backup for the wife's rMBP. On the other end of the house put in a new Extreme airport to extend the TC's wifi network. This combo provides a good wifi network and remote Ethernet and USB via the Extreme airport. Newer devices can do ac wifi.

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,059 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 14, 2013 10:24 |  #9

joeseph wrote in post #16526163 (external link)
depending on your internet speed, the reduced bandwidth by using Wifi repeaters may not matter.

These things happen at speeds and at time lengths that are imperceptible to human senses. There is no cutting of speed by half. All data is transmitted at the same rate, all the time, never going slower or faster. Transmission protocols are inserted so the devices at each end can start and stop transmissions. These protocols are very small units, not long messages.

The idea that an ACK and other protocols are significant parts of an electronic transmission of data at rates of hundreds of thousands of bits of data per second and will significantly decrease throughput on a single user system in someone's home is basically not a concern.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

SarahJD
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 14, 2013 13:37 |  #10

Thanks all!

This PowerLine (external link)? I'm not sure if the cable company can use a cable that's already up there to run the internet. They should be able to. But would we need another router? Would it be another charge? I can call on that first.

The Airport Express (external link) wouldn't work then?

Again, thank you all! You're always so helpful with the computer stuff I know nothing about!

Sarah

tim
Light Bringer
50,972 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 14, 2013 14:14 |  #11

Hen3Ry wrote in post #16526644 (external link)
These things happen at speeds and at time lengths that are imperceptible to human senses. There is no cutting of speed by half. All data is transmitted at the same rate, all the time, never going slower or faster. Transmission protocols are inserted so the devices at each end can start and stop transmissions. These protocols are very small units, not long messages.

The idea that an ACK and other protocols are significant parts of an electronic transmission of data at rates of hundreds of thousands of bits of data per second and will significantly decrease throughput on a single user system in someone's home is basically not a concern.

When you have a repeater it spends half its time listening to the main wifi, half its time transmitting. This is why you lose half your bandwidth, plus overheads. At least that's how it was explained to me.

Wifi performance and speed varies with distance from the access point as well. Right beside it you may get 50Mbps, further away you may only get 5Mbps. Eventually you can't access it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,816 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 14, 2013 15:03 |  #12

When you have a repeater it spends half its time listening to the main wifi, half its time transmitting. This is why you lose half your bandwidth, plus overheads. At least that's how it was explained to me.

Well designed repeaters are multithreaded devices that can transmit and receive in parallel.....just not the same packet. There is some delay between receive and retransmit of the same packet.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,443 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 14, 2013 15:21 |  #13

Colorblinded wrote in post #16526146 (external link)
Run an ethernet cable if you can, after that I'd go with powerline networking if possible. Wireless is convenient but ultimately crap and repeaters just make it more crap.

I'd second the powerline ethernet idea; http://www.amazon.com …ords=powerline+​networking (external link)

Wireless can be flaky and if you're using it for your editing/work PC, you might have some issues there. Assuming the house/garage/room are an attached unit, using something like the above allows you to 'hardwire' your connection and not have to worry about radio interference, etc.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,941 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Dec 15, 2013 04:27 |  #14

SarahJD wrote in post #16527028 (external link)
Thanks all!

This PowerLine (external link)? I'm not sure if the cable company can use a cable that's already up there to run the internet. They should be able to. But would we need another router? Would it be another charge? I can call on that first.

they look good (very similar to the ones I've used recently, which were the TL-PA511 units) - plug one in where your router is, and connect a patchlead between the router & the Powerline unit.

Bowl off down to where you need your other P.C. & plug the other powerline unit in at that point - patchcable between powerline unit & P.C. and you're good to go.

One thing they do mention is to try not to plug them into multi-boxes (dunno what they're called over there, any sort of power adapter with multiple outlets) It doesn't make a huge difference if you do, but if the distance involved makes the signal marginal then the less points of connection, the better.

The other thing to consider, is security - follow the "pairing" instructions carefully and you won't find your neighbours in the next apartment or whatever being able to connect to your "power" network.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 15, 2013 04:46 |  #15

MCAsan wrote in post #16527212 (external link)
Well designed repeaters are multithreaded devices that can transmit and receive in parallel.....just not the same packet. There is some delay between receive and retransmit of the same packet.

All repeaters have concurrency support - they must be able to listen continuously even when needing to do something else.

But unless the receive and transmit is performed on different channels you will lose bandwidth - this is the reason why a Wifi router should be configured to use a channel that isn't interfering with close-by neighbours.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links

1,968 views & 0 likes for this thread
Relay Internet signal?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.