Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Dec 2013 (Friday) 15:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Simple slave mode flash question .. I hope

Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 13, 2013 15:25 |  #1

I have a 580EXII and have just ordered a 430 EXII. I also have a Phottix II transmitter and one receiver.
AM I right in thinking that I can set both speed lights OC on stands, put the transmitter on my 5D MkIII hotshot, place the receiver on the 580 and put the 480 in slave mode, hence being able to fire both flashes without the need for a second receiver. OF course, I do understand that I will need line of sight between the 2 speed lights.

I hope that you follow that!

Thanks for any advice/confirmation of my assumption

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

sponsored links
maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Dec 13, 2013 15:30 |  #2

Correct!

You just wont have any TTL functions, which isn't a problem if you shoot in full manual.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 13, 2013 15:35 as a reply to  @ maverick75's post |  #3

Thanks Maverick75

Yes, I will be shooting full Manual as I will be static in a studio

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 14, 2013 15:37 |  #4

I don't own a 430EXII but I think I've read that it does not have a sensor for receiving and firing from another flash pulse. Since the Phottix is a fire only trigger the 580EXII is set to manual. But the 430EXII set to slave is expecting a master to signal it.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,643 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 14, 2013 15:45 |  #5

430EXII will work as a wireless ETTL slave to a 580EXII master! See p. 26-28 of owner manual.
The 580EXII can directly wirelessly (optical) control the 430EXII as a ETTL flash slave, but the Phottix serves no benefit...while it can pass thru ETTL signals to the 580EXII plugged into its hotshoe, there is no radio ETTL control to an ETTL slave.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 14, 2013 16:25 |  #6

A search for "hybrid mode" will produce useful results. (The term was applied by Syl Arena in "Speedliter's Handbook". Syl also wrote some definitive tutorials for Canon Europe.)

You can use a radio trigger to bridge the distance from camera to flashes, then have a limited set of Canon Wireless to fire slaves.

5D3 + trigger ~> receiver + 580EXII in Master and Manual modes with slave output specified on-Master~> 430EXII in slave mode.

If a smart trigger like the YN-622C is used, then the Master flash can be set remotely using your camera's flash control menus, and this will be reflected in the slave's manual output settings, (As in TOYUG p.19 - link in my signature.)

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 14, 2013 16:27 |  #7

Wilt wrote in post #16527304 (external link)
430EXII will work as a wireless ETTL slave to a 580EXII master! See p. 26-28 of owner manual.
The 580EXII can directly wirelessly (optical) control the 430EXII as a ETTL flash slave, but the Phottix serves no benefit...while it can pass thru ETTL signals to the 580EXII plugged into its hotshoe, there is no radio ETTL control to an ETTL slave.

If I work in manual with both speed lights will my plan to use the Phottix to activate the 580 as master that will then trigger the 430 as slave work?

flickr (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 14, 2013 16:30 |  #8

The OP wants both speedlites off camera on stands using a fire only Phottix transmitter.
That, as I understand what he wants to do, eliminates ETTL from the system and renders both speedlites as manual devices and the 430EXII can't do that unless its being told to fire as a slave to a master speedlite (or ST-E2). At least that's what it says in the manual.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 14, 2013 16:40 |  #9

dmward wrote in post #16527402 (external link)
The OP wants both speedlites off camera on stands using a fire only Phottix transmitter.
That, as I understand what he wants to do, eliminates ETTL from the system and renders both speedlites as manual devices and the 430EXII can't do that unless its being told to fire as a slave to a master speedlite (or ST-E2). At least that's what it says in the manual.

Gosh I am useless at trying to explain my thinking. Please bear with me. Plan is (a) Mount Phottix transmitter on hot shoe of 5D. (b)Place 580 EXII, as master, on a stand on the shoe of the Phottix receiver. (c)Place the 430 EXII on the other stand as slave to the 580. Does that make it clear. I would set up both speedlights in manual and then when I press the shutter button I expect the phottix to send the signal to the 580 which fires and at the same time triggers the 430 slave.
Clear?

flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,643 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 14, 2013 16:46 |  #10

dmward wrote in post #16527402 (external link)

In that case, the Phottix non-ETTL control of the 580EXII would render all Master functions non-operable...the 580EXII has to be in ETTL mode for it to act as Master to an ETTL slave or Manual slave.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,246 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 14, 2013 17:58 |  #11

Yes, very clear. And yes, that will work (reference Clive's post). However, sync speed had to be reduced from 1/200 to 1/125 to avoid the black bar (XSi/450D).

1/200

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i735.photobucke​t.com …OTN/_MG_7614.jp​g~original (external link)

1/160

http://i735.photobucke​t.com …OTN/_MG_7613.jp​g~original (external link)

1/125

http://i735.photobucke​t.com …OTN/_MG_7612.jp​g~original (external link)

sponsored links

1,747 views & 0 likes for this thread
Simple slave mode flash question .. I hope
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.