Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Dec 2013 (Wednesday) 22:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

flash for canon dslr

ihigh
52 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 11, 2013 22:08 |  #1

I'm trying to buy someone a christmas gift and they put a camera flash on their christmas list. The question is that they didn't put a particular brand/model. I know they need one that shoots auto with the camera and not manually controlled. What's a good one to get?

It'll be used for everyday stuff and gathers, nothing too fancy I'm assuming. I never needed to buy a flash for myself so I never looked into it too much. Max $300

sponsored links
Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 11, 2013 22:20 |  #2

We really need a little more details.

What type of camera, how will they be using it, is size a consideration, what other features do they desire (HSS, Optical Slave) etc? Most of the flashes you'll come across offer e-TTl (auto) as well as manual settings at your price range. I'm going to assume it is a Canon brand.

Just to throw something out. If a Bridge camera or desiring something portable, then consider a Canon 270ex II or even Canon 320ex. If DSLR camera then consider Metz 48af-1, 50af-1, IMHO. Those are very easy to setup, quite affordable and high quality. Others will recommend Canon 430ex II but the Metz mentioned come with more features at a lesser cost. If they want a professional grade flash with every feature imaginable then consider Metz 58af-1 or 58af-2, otherwise Canon 580ex II.

Yongnuo also makes some nice flashes, though not on the same level as those mentioned above but typically cost less.

You can go HERE (external link) for good details and comparisons.

Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

ihigh
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 11, 2013 22:24 |  #3

Sorry for the incomplete post, but here's a bit more detail

She is currently using a canon t3i. She takes pretty much photos of events for her school/class' gatherings and last time it was at night and her photos came out bad due to low lighting. She thinks a flash will fix that and she has been looking at the canon 430ex II.

Preferably be able to mount onto the camera + goes off at the same time when she takes photos? (Is that considered automatic? newbie I'm sorry haha)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 11, 2013 22:47 |  #4

ihigh wrote in post #16520608 (external link)
She thinks a flash will fix that and she has been looking at the canon 430ex II.

that's what she needs.

some folks are likely to suggest the Yongnuo brand, they make VERY similar flashes to what Canon puts out, but they are less expensive. IMO since it's a gift, and its a high school (at least school age) girl, just get the Canon.

:D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 11, 2013 22:48 |  #5

Sorry for the incomplete post, but here's a bit more detail

She is currently using a canon t3i. She takes pretty much photos of events for her school/class' gatherings and last time it was at night and her photos came out bad due to low lighting. She thinks a flash will fix that and she has been looking at the canon 430ex II.

Preferably be able to mount onto the camera + goes off at the same time when she takes photos? (Is that considered automatic? newbie I'm sorry haha)

Ha, Ha. The flash is going to go off when she pushes the shutter in offering light on her subject. When I say a flash with e-ttl, it means the flash is capable of working with the camera in "automatically" determining "correct" exposure for the subject. Otherwise, you can also "manually" set the flash output for exposure as you desire. Each has it's own advantages and a flash with both capabilities is desirable.

I've sent you a PM.

God Bless,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 11, 2013 22:50 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #6

might as well grab one of these too.

http://www.adorama.com​/EXRFBSPR.html (external link)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 12, 2013 00:33 |  #7

she has been looking at the canon 430ex II.

If that's what she's been looking at then thats what I'd go with.

It will work fine with her t3i both on camera and off camera.

On camera the flash will know to fire with the shutter release as the camera and flash "talk" through the hot shoes on the top of the camera. Off camera the t3i's pop up flash can wirelessly "talk" to the 430ex II and it will work the same as if it were on camera.

Roobaix
206 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 12, 2013 09:25 |  #8

I too would go with the 430 EX-II.

Gear List

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 12, 2013 14:33 |  #9

gremlin75 wrote in post #16520863 (external link)
...On camera the flash will know to fire with the shutter release as the camera and flash "talk" through the hot shoes on the top of the camera. Off camera the t3i's pop up flash can wirelessly "talk" to the 430ex II and it will work the same as if it were on camera.

Hey Gremlin,
I'd just like to point out that other brands have the same features. The Metz 48af-1 as well as the Metz 50af-1 are equivalent to the Canon 430ex II.

Both of those can be set as TTL slaves as well as manual "Optical" dummy slaves. That is handy when you just want to use a manual setting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I read the Canon 430ex can only be used as a TTL slave and hence no "manual" ability. It doesn't have "Optical" slave ability.

---------------

The Metz units also come with a bounce card and have more tilt as well as swivel ability -vs- the 430ex II.

If she's set on a Canon and the 430ex II is her choice then that's what she probably should get. However, if she is learning and open to suggestion then I'd highly recommend either of the Metz units over the 430ex II. She could even, in most accounts, get a pro version Metz 58af-1 or 58af-2 for the cost of a mid-range 430ex II. Just my two cents...

Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 12, 2013 19:25 |  #10

Ralph III wrote in post #16522293 (external link)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I read the Canon 430ex can only be used as a TTL slave and hence no "manual" ability. It doesn't have "Optical" slave ability.

The 430ex II has an optical slave mode and since his daughter owns a t3i, which uses the pop up flash as an optical master, that means she will be able to control the flash off camera in either ETTL or manual mode.

You are correct in the fact that the 430ex II does not have an optical trigger, but again, due to the camera she has it is not needed anyways.

Metz and Nissin both make good flashes, as does yongnuo and phottix. Arguably you can get more flash for the money from any of those, but the OP sounds like he's not very fimular with flashes and it sounds like his daughter is already looking into one, the 430ex II.

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 14, 2013 17:21 |  #11

gremlin75 wrote in post #16522981 (external link)
The 430ex II has an optical slave mode and since his daughter owns a t3i, which uses the pop up flash as an optical master, that means she will be able to control the flash off camera in either ETTL or manual mode.

You are correct in the fact that the 430ex II does not have an optical trigger, but again, due to the camera she has it is not needed anyways.

I was quoting Speedlights.com which states the Canon 430ex II "does not" have "Optical Slave" ability. It does however state it has "wireless ttl slave" ability.

Yes, her camera can control off camera flashes via a wireless Canon setup (as capable Master & Slave) but as I understood this was only with a TTL setup. Apparently the 430ex II can also be triggered as OCF in a manual setup?

Either way, as I understand you couldn't "mix" the setup which is what I was speaking about. In the Canon wireless system, all flashes would have to utilize a "TTL" setup or otherwise a "Manual" setup? In other words, you couldn't have the on-camera flash in TTL with an OCF in Manual mode and third OCF in TTL mode, etc? Correct me if I'm wrong but this is as I understood.

On the other hand, flashes that have "Optical Slave" ability can be mixed because they simply fire with a flash and thus DO NOT require a TTL signal. I find such handy when you just want to illuminate something (such as hair) without having to consider TTL ratios, especially if using other flashes in TTL for the shoot.

Take care,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

sponsored links

1,549 views & 0 likes for this thread
flash for canon dslr
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.