Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 20:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If you bought a lens on ebay

andrewmr
181 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 14, 2013 16:56 |  #61

FlyFishingTN wrote in post #16523081 (external link)
for $4200 and it said "New, never used" and you got it and found out it was a UN date code 1999? (I missed three sales waiting for questions to be answered so I jumped on this one....)

It's in pristine condition and there are no scratches on it anywhere but,,, IMO you really shouldn't try to pass it off as "new" when in reality it's 15 years old. I like the lens and I'm not sure it's a big deal I just feel like I paid a little more to get a new lens and ended up with an old one.
How should I handle this??

If the build date is important to you, why didn't you ask for the code before you bought the lens?

Mike Andrews

sponsored links
FlyFishingTN
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 14, 2013 17:22 |  #62

Because it said "new" I was expecting a lens minimally made in this century....

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,207 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 14, 2013 17:52 |  #63

KirkS518 wrote in post #16527011 (external link)
Like New is a phrase ebay will flag the listing for.

New is like pregnancy - either you are, or you aren't. There really is no grey area when defining it.

why is 'new-other' one of their listing options then...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 14, 2013 18:01 |  #64
bannedPermanent ban

FlyFishingTN wrote in post #16527523 (external link)
Because it said "new" I was expecting a lens minimally made in this century....

Live and learn I guess. I really don't think the original seller bought this lens brand new 14 years ago and had it sitting in his closet since. Most likely he bought it new from a mon & pop shop that has very little turn over of high end items and the lens was sitting in the shop for many years. The seller might not have even known when the lens was originally made nor even known about date codes.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 14, 2013 18:09 |  #65

DreDaze wrote in post #16527565 (external link)
why is 'new-other' one of their listing options then...

I take their definitionof 'New Other' as a new product from a retailer where it may be a factiry second, or a damaged/open box, or similar. It still (IMO) comes from the product's original retailer. Not someone who bought it, opened it, used it (no matter how many times), and put it on a shelf in a closet.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,207 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 14, 2013 18:19 |  #66

KirkS518 wrote in post #16527602 (external link)
I take their definitionof 'New Other' as a new product from a retailer where it may be a factiry second, or a damaged/open box, or similar. It still (IMO) comes from the product's original retailer. Not someone who bought it, opened it, used it (no matter how many times), and put it on a shelf in a closet.

the seller claims to have never used it though, just opened the box...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

dansmail26
357 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 14, 2013 19:31 |  #67

It's simple, what is a 14 year old lens in great shape worth vs. what you paid? If there ils a difference let ebay handle it, if not forget it!

7D mark ii, Canon 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 f/4L non-is, Canon 10-18 efs, Canon 1.4x, Yongnuo 468 II

FlyFishingTN
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 14, 2013 19:58 |  #68

Hogloff wrote in post #16527582 (external link)
Live and learn I guess. I really don't think the original seller bought this lens brand new 14 years ago and had it sitting in his closet since. Most likely he bought it new from a mon & pop shop that has very little turn over of high end items and the lens was sitting in the shop for many years. The seller might not have even known when the lens was originally made nor even known about date codes.

The seller first said it was purchased in 2007 (before it was shipped). I'd buy that,, it could happen. When I received it and emailed him with the actual date code, he said he was mistaken and that he actually bought it in 2001. I thought This had been discussed already several pages back.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 14, 2013 20:58 |  #69

DreDaze wrote in post #16527622 (external link)
the seller claims to have never used it though, just opened the box...

Yes, but let's be realistic. You just spent an ungodly amount of money on a lens for an upcoming trip. Are you just going to pack it away, not test it out, not fondle it, not go down to the local park just to get a feel for it before the big vacation? And then just leave it sitting in the closet/shelf or wherever for the next 12 years, without EVER using it? If you can do that, you have more self control then I do. And if you believe the seller never used it once in the 12 years, I have a nice bridge for sale. ;) (j/k).

FlyFishingTN wrote in post #16527810 (external link)
The seller first said it was purchased in 2007 (before it was shipped). I'd buy that,, it could happen. When I received it and emailed him with the actual date code, he said he was mistaken and that he actually bought it in 2001. I thought This had been discussed already several pages back.

Yes, it's just that many (many) folks only read the first few posts, then chime in without knowing the whole story. It's an internet forum phenomenon.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 18, 2013 16:17 as a reply to  @ KirkS518's post |  #70

I just purchased from an antique ebay store a summicron 50/2 collapsible (first made by Leica). The photos showed a crappy old dusted lens, and the description was incorrect, it said, it was screw mount, but for the $400 I paid, I wanted to try it. What I got was a brand new as in "never used" immaculate lens that works just fine. So, I am not planning in reselling it.

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 18, 2013 17:37 |  #71

I'm still open to 35mm f/2 by Canon.

sponsored links

6,092 views & 0 likes for this thread
If you bought a lens on ebay
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.