Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 19:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is photography not cool?

Somebloke
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 15, 2013 19:28 |  #1

My boss gives me grief about enjoying photography because he thinks its 'gay', I have friends who think its a bit of a 'wanky' hobby and I have met people who have a impression that photographers are...well how do I put it...douche bags...

Anyone else have these types of experiances?? Why is photography not considered cool? Basically its gotten to the point where I almost keep it a secret....

sponsored links
s.l.k
143 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 15, 2013 19:33 |  #2

People are entitled to their opinions, but doesn't make them right.

Feedback

Somebloke
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 15, 2013 19:39 |  #3

s.l.k wrote in post #16530192 (external link)
People are entitled to their opinions, but doesn't make them right.

What makes them have these opinions though? Is it something photographers bring on themselves?

I dont understand why its not 'cool', some of the most incredible pictures people admire every day life, whether it be in magazines, docos, advertising, sport or art are all due to photographers. Yet when you say you are into photography its almost like telling someone you are into classical music and knitting quilts...

Is photography seen as pretenious perhaps?

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 15, 2013 19:39 |  #4

1. Your boss is an idiot.

2. If you enjoy something, who cares what other people think.

3. I've never from anyone heard that kind of sentiment. And if I did, I'd probably just laugh.

4. Photography is not cool. It is AWESOME!

:mrgreen:

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 15, 2013 19:46 |  #5

Find out what the boss likes and tell him you've taken it up. Should help quiet him down. Keep taking pictures.

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 15, 2013 19:48 |  #6

Take his picture. That'll show him.

Some of my feedback

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 15, 2013 19:49 |  #7

:DWhat's wrong with knitting quilts?

My Gear

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 15, 2013 19:52 |  #8

Never had anyone ever say that to me about my photography...your boss is a douche bag

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 15, 2013 19:55 |  #9

Somebloke wrote in post #16530184 (external link)
My boss gives me grief about enjoying photography because he thinks its 'gay', I have friends who think its a bit of a 'wanky' hobby and I have met people who have a impression that photographers are...well how do I put it...douche bags...

Anyone else have these types of experiances?? Why is photography not considered cool? Basically its gotten to the point where I almost keep it a secret....

You should express your condolences on their male inadequacies. :cool:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

paddler4
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 15, 2013 19:59 |  #10

All of those comments are truly moronic.

I took up photography 45 years ago and haven't had one person say any of those things to me.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,076 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 15, 2013 20:04 |  #11

hang your cross wrote in post #16530221 (external link)
Take his picture. That'll show him.

:p
That might just do it.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,578 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 15, 2013 20:09 |  #12

Somebloke wrote in post #16530204 (external link)
What makes them have these opinions though? Is it something photographers bring on themselves?

I dont understand why its not 'cool', some of the most incredible pictures people admire every day life, whether it be in magazines, docos, advertising, sport or art are all due to photographers. Yet when you say you are into photography its almost like telling someone you are into classical music and knitting quilts...

Jealousy? All they are capable of is taking snapshots with a Kodak?

Guys who have such a limited world view aren't really worth wasting time worrying about. Is it somehow more manly to waste your money and life with your head stuck under a car?

Or collecting baseball cards? That's creative.

Playing golf? Rough and tumble sport (I play, by the way, as do a lot of current and former pro athletes).

If you let others dictate what you do, you will never do anything that interests you.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 15, 2013 20:12 |  #13

Somebloke wrote in post #16530204 (external link)

1. Some people get their jollies by dragging others down. People without talents in any particular field are most prone to doing this. To your boss calling something "gay" is probably the worst insult he can think of...so he obviously has a limited vocabulary as well as having little talent in other directions.

2. Some people are far too sensitive to what others think. You seem to have met a lot of people who run photography down...maybe you need to start moving in a different circle of people...people with more discernment perhaps!

3. I have to say, without wanting to be too critical, that you run the risk of falling into the same category as your boss by looking down on those who are into classical music and knitting quilts. While I have not so far engaged in the latter, I very much enjoyed listening to classical music while racing my schooner around the world via Cape Horn on my own...not a project for the faint-of-heart as you might imagine.

You should hold on to the thought that there are a lot of pretentious fools out there whose idea of a good time is rabbiting on about what they might do while running others down for what they actually do. They are worth a smile before you move on!

Growing old disgracefully!

cbkoontz
97 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 15, 2013 20:12 as a reply to  @ Preeb's post |  #14

Nope....its most definitely not. Lets be honest here.

:D

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 15, 2013 20:14 |  #15

cbkoontz wrote in post #16530258 (external link)
Nope....its most definitely not. Lets be honest here.

:D

Hehe...I'll go with that!:D:cool:

Growing old disgracefully!

sponsored links

20,388 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is photography not cool?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.