Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 19:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is photography not cool?

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 15, 2013 20:18 |  #16

The fact that the people at work make fun of you or perceive you as "gay" and the fact that you are worried about it means that they sense your weakness. Your weakness is your self-perception and your needless worry of what others think of you.

People love fantasy. If they are going to continue giving your grief, then get a pretty lady friend to "accidentally" bump into you in front of a couple of your work friends and state, "Thank you for coming over Friday night. I loved the photoshoot. Let me know when the pics are ready, but please don't let anyone else see them."

Then your friends will have a completely different perspective on the whole affair. When they inquire as to what happened the other night, tell them you'll show the pictures to them in a couple weeks, but only if she lets you show them. Then walk away and say, "it's a longshot. But I'll try."

Sony A7 III and some lenses

sponsored links
pyro1
Goldmember
1,266 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 15, 2013 20:19 as a reply to  @ post 16530261 |  #17

I'll let your boss get in the rodeo arena with me when I shoot bull riding. We will see who is the sissy......... tell him to wear his sneekers and some clean underwear!

1DX MKIII, Twin 1DX, 5D mk III - EF 16-35 f/2.8L II USM - EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM II - EF 100-400 f/4.5 L IS USM - EF 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS USM - EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM - Tam 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC - 580EXII - Einsteins & CyberSync System - Vagabond Mini -
My smugmug (external link) My Facebook (external link)

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 15, 2013 20:25 |  #18

EOS-Mike wrote in post #16530269 (external link)
I don't think photography is uncool, but I do think that many photographers (most?) are uncool. Most the guys I've met are (and I'm not trying to be stereotypical, but just my experience) fat, wear those goofy drab olive/green photography vests, and seem to be allergic to smiling. As a school teacher I see a lot of them come in and out of the schools, and many don't seem to have any creativity or interest in people, but are more geared toward getting the shot and moving people along.

To me, that make sense. When you have a job of taking pictures of all the students from a ton of schools and dealing with a tight schedule you're going to make it simple and factory like as you can. It would be nice if the school could do something to make it more fun, interesting and creative. But, who has the budget for that now-a-days?

Some of my feedback

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 15, 2013 20:25 |  #19

To the OP: You used the words wanky and bloke, so I'm guessing you're one of them Aussie type of guys.

Go shoot surfing. Your guy Mick Fanning from Coolangatta (which I'm too lazy to check the spelling on) just won his third world title yesterday at the Pipe Masters. Go shoot those guys. Surfing is a sport that never has and never will be considered dorky. It's the most difficult sport in the world to master, and a sport with no guarantee that you'll come back alive each time you engage in it.

And the beach has a lot of pretty girls.

What are you waiting for? Go shoot.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

Somebloke
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 15, 2013 20:35 |  #20

Ricardo222 wrote in post #16530256 (external link)
3. I have to say, without wanting to be too critical, that you run the risk of falling into the same category as your boss by looking down on those who are into classical music and knitting quilts. While I have not so far engaged in the latter, I very much enjoyed listening to classical music while racing my schooner around the world via Cape Horn on my own...not a project for the faint-of-heart as you might imagine.

I dont have a problem with people liking any type of music, its the reaction that I was refering to.

EOS-Mike wrote in post #16530269 (external link)
The fact that the people at work make fun of you or perceive you as "gay" and the fact that you are worried about it means that they sense your weakness. Your weakness is your self-perception and your needless worry of what others think of you.

I dont think they percieve me as gay, I am a very typical 'aussie' bloke and have a hot wife. Its the pastime of photogrphy they think is a bit gay.

EOS-Mike wrote in post #16530287 (external link)
To the OP: You used the words wanky and bloke, so I'm guessing you're one of them Aussie type of guys.

Go shoot surfing. Your guy Mick Fanning from Coolangatta (which I'm too lazy to check the spelling on) just won his third world title yesterday at the Pipe Masters. Go shoot those guys. Surfing is a sport that never has and never will be considered dorky. It's the most difficult sport in the world to master, and a sport with no guarantee that you'll come back alive each time you engage in it.

Yep deffinately one of them 'aussie type' of guys lol. Maybe its a aussie thing where its still very rough and tumble in a lot of respects. Maybe the reaction is because Im a contridiction to what they expect-I regularly go to the gym and weigh 105kgs, play sport, surf, drink beer etc...so when I also say I like photography they are a bit taken a back...

BigSkyKen
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 15, 2013 20:42 |  #21

Yep, it is gay. So much so, that you should give it up and send me your 5D3 and 17-40 L...I've been wanting to play with those gay toys for quite awhile!

BigSkyKen
Wildlife & Nature Blog @ His Creation (external link)

Fitness ­ Freak
841 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 15, 2013 20:48 |  #22

Somebloke wrote in post #16530304 (external link)
Yep deffinately one of them 'aussie type' of guys lol. Maybe its a aussie thing where its still very rough and tumble in a lot of respects. Maybe the reaction is because Im a contridiction to what they expect-I regularly go to the gym and weigh 105kgs, play sport, surf, drink beer etc...so when I also say I like photography they are a bit taken a back...

Your boss is clueless. As a woman, I can honestly say that there's not much sexier than a man with red-ringed lens on his camera. ;-)a Seriously, most people consider very muscular, lean men very masculine and manly but there's a large percentage of them that are gay so you can't judge a man's masculinity or sexual preference based on his hobbies. Unless of course his hobby is designing and sewing a women's spring fashion lineup-because that's totally gay.

As far as being an Aussie, my husband spent a year with some of you "blokes" during a tour in Afghanistan and he said you guys were slightly crazy. He meant that as a compliment in that you guys are crazy risk-takers and generally pretty fearless. I mountain biked down Pike's Peak (an almost 15K foot mountain in Colorado) with two New Zealanders which my husband said reminded him very much of their Aussie neighbors. I finally understood what he meant by you guys being rather nuts when watching those two Kiwi's doing crazy, dangerous stunts while flying down that mountain and it's hairpin turns. They made my heart nearly stop on more than one occasion. So, in my opinion at least, you and your fellow Aussies are about as manly, insane, and slightly caveman-like as they come. :-P Again, I mean that as a compliment. :D

FYI: "Fitness Freak" is also known as "Amber" outside of POTN.
http://fineartamerica.​com/profiles/1-amber-kresge.html (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 15, 2013 20:50 |  #23

It's a bit strange that a manager would still be using the term 'gay' as pejorative in 2013. Did someone not get the memo?

I'd never use such 1980's phrasing as one of our best engineers is a lesbian and I really have no interest in conveying a degree of casual bigotry to my direct reports as it's counterproductive. She is objectively and certainly 'gay', but that has no bearing on her performance.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Aki78
963 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 15, 2013 20:51 |  #24

Let it go honestly. Don't let that sort of comments and attitude pollute your creative passion.

I had a female photographer that indirectly told someone that I wouldn't make it in photography because I'm a 'guy'. Umm okay. Certain areas like newborn and babies seem to be taken by the female photography crowd but really...I love children so I just do what I love best.

Somebloke
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 15, 2013 20:53 |  #25

Fitness Freak wrote in post #16530335 (external link)
Your boss is clueless. As a woman, I can honestly say that there's not much sexier than a man with red-ringed lens on his camera. ;-)a Seriously, most people consider very muscular, lean men very masculine and manly but there's a large percentage of them that are gay so you can't judge a man's masculinity or sexual preference based on his hobbies. Unless of course his hobby is designing and sewing a women's spring fashion lineup-because that's totally gay.

As far as being an Aussie, my husband spend a year with some of you "blokes" during a tour in Afghanistan and he said you guys were slightly crazy. He meant that as a compliment in that you guys are crazy risk-takers and generally pretty fearless. I mountain biked down Pike's Peak (an almost 15K foot mountain in Colorado) with two New Zealanders which my husband said reminded him very much of their Aussie neighbors. I finally understood what he meant by you guys being rather nuts when watching those two Kiwi's doing crazy, dangerous stunts while flying down that mountain and it's hairpin turns. They made my heart nearly stop on more than one occasion. So, in my opinion at least, you and your fellow Aussies are about as manly, insane, and slightly caveman-like as they come. :-P Again, I mean that as a compliment. :D

lol, now that made me laugh!!!

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
6,188 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 15, 2013 20:53 |  #26

I don't have a problem telling people I have spent the last 15 years of my life kayaking the most difficult class V rivers and creeks in the American west....or talking about the 10 years I spent skiing powder in the Colorado backcountry before moving to Idaho...when they ask of course. But I must admit, I don't usually go around broadcasting that I am into photography. Even less so do I feel comfortable pulling out the DSLR/flash gear. I don't have a huge 70-200 2.8 II for a reason. That reason is feeling a little insecure using that type of gear in public. Why do I feel this way? HOwever, I must admit I do like when people tell me I make nice photos. I know I have much nicer photos of my family than most others have of theirs. The problem is that most folks say..."Check out Cory's photos...he has a great camera!" :(

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Sony 10-18/4 | Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8 | Sigma 56/1.4
flickr (external link)
Feedback

Giofazio44
177 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 15, 2013 21:01 |  #27

My friends think its a little fruity that i take pictures they ripp on me all the time they think im wasting my money but i dont at all. at first i would kep it a secret but i realized who cares what they think, you should be proud of your hobbies we spent enough lol but my two hobbies photography and racing cars is my life

NJ
G.M.F Photography

Fitness ­ Freak
841 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 15, 2013 21:04 |  #28

idsurfer wrote in post #16530346 (external link)
I don't have a problem telling people I have spent the last 15 years of my life kayaking the most difficult class V rivers and creeks in the American west....or talking about the 10 years I spent skiing powder in the Colorado backcountry before moving to Idaho...when they ask of course. But I must admit, I don't usually go around broadcasting that I am into photography. Even less so do I feel comfortable pulling out the DSLR/flash gear. I don't have a huge 70-200 2.8 II for a reason. That reason is feeling a little insecure using that type of gear in public. Why do I feel this way? HOwever, I must admit I do like when people tell me I make nice photos. I know I have much nicer photos of my family than most others have of theirs. The problem is that most folks say..."Check out Cory's photos...he has a great camera!" :(

I think it's sad that you feel so self-conscious about your enjoyment of photography. I have the 70-200 2.8 II and I couldn't care less what people think of me or my equipment. My experience so far has been that most people stand there in awe of the thing and have to make some kind of comment about how impressive it is. I hope you eventually don't feel the need to hide your appreciation for the field of photography because I've actually made some amazing friends because of it. :)

FYI: "Fitness Freak" is also known as "Amber" outside of POTN.
http://fineartamerica.​com/profiles/1-amber-kresge.html (external link)

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 15, 2013 21:05 |  #29

If you enjoy it, who cares what someone else thinks.

When I was heavily into Paintballing, people thought I was a "trouble-maker" and that I would go towards the wrong crowd due to the bad rep paintball was getting.

But I was not part of that. I would only use my gear at fields and not outside of the field except to test for leaks after maintenance.

As long as you enjoy it, go do it. Don't let someone else bring you down. They are like that because what they do was judged and they failed to do what they love to do and is instead hating what they do.

I'm labeled as "that guy" that brings the camera. I don't care. All of a sudden I get responses like "when did you get that" "where was I for that" and so on.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
6,188 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 15, 2013 21:21 |  #30

Fitness Freak wrote in post #16530372 (external link)
I think it's sad that you feel so self-conscious about your enjoyment of photography. I have the 70-200 2.8 II and I couldn't care less what people think of me or my equipment. My experience so far has been that most people stand there in awe of the thing and have to make some kind of comment about how impressive it is. I hope you eventually don't feel the need to hide your appreciation for the field of photography because I've actually made some amazing friends because of it. :)

I will say I'm getting better at it...But I do feel like "that guy". I don't really have a problem with the DSLR and prime lens...just not sure I can take the attention of the big canon whites yet? It's just me, don't really like attention. :confused:

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Sony 10-18/4 | Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8 | Sigma 56/1.4
flickr (external link)
Feedback

sponsored links

23,080 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is photography not cool?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.