Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 19:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is photography not cool?

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 15, 2013 21:30 |  #31

Somebloke wrote in post #16530184 (external link)
My boss gives me grief about enjoying photography because he thinks its 'gay', I have friends who think its a bit of a 'wanky' hobby and I have met people who have a impression that photographers are...well how do I put it...douche bags...

Anyone else have these types of experiances?? Why is photography not considered cool? Basically its gotten to the point where I almost keep it a secret....

Unfamiliarity makes people fearful and defensive.

Photography takes creativity and technical knowledge, neither of which they have.

sponsored links
Fitness ­ Freak
841 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 15, 2013 21:33 |  #32

idsurfer wrote in post #16530416 (external link)
I will say I'm getting better at it...But I do feel like "that guy". I don't really have a problem with the DSLR and prime lens...just not sure I can take the attention of the big canon whites yet? It's just me, don't really like attention. :confused:

Well, I'm definitely an extrovert. I really have no desire to ever be the center of attention, but being noticed doesn't make me uncomfortable either. If I saw you hanging out somewhere with a prime lens or especially a big white one (just because it's more obvious) on your camera, I'm definitely the type that would walk over to you and start chatting about photography. I'm just outgoing like that but I also don't really care about other peoples' opinions of me. By the end of our chat though..we'd be friends. :D

FYI: "Fitness Freak" is also known as "Amber" outside of POTN.
http://fineartamerica.​com/profiles/1-amber-kresge.html (external link)

deanedward
407 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 15, 2013 21:35 |  #33

hipsters do photography so it must be cool!

Make yourself heard
EOS 6D Mark II, EOS 70D, EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 35mm f/2 IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM, Speedlite 430EX
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/deanmejos/ (external link)

Mackeral
524 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 15, 2013 21:42 |  #34
bannedPermanent ban

Many times less than creative people are defensive and feel inadequate about their own abilities or lack thereof. Your boss and friends inhabit that sad existence. Feel sorry for them and move on.

"Complete quietness surrounded me as the dense fog smothered all sounds. As the sun rose, lifting the fog to reveal this majestic mountain, all my thoughts of the daily hustle and bustle were put away, allowing me to sit in solitude with nature."
-Utter Bull

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 15, 2013 21:44 |  #35

Playboy and the general media.

That's the reason. I'm not talking about actual Playboy photographers, but the cartoons in the old Playboys that had kind of dorky representations of photographers.

Felix Unger. From 1970-74, he was the only face of photography America got to see weekly. He (Felix Unger, not Tony Randall) wasn't the manliest of men. A Commercial Photographer - Portraits a Specialty! (If anyone happens to know what camera he used to shoot the little people family, I'd love to know).

The fact that photography is a form of art. Artists are typically perceived as either weird or effeminate.

The opinion that photography can be a form of voyeurism.

We look pretty geeky walking around with cameras swinging from our necks, and gadget bags/backpacks/slingba​gs strapped to our bodies. Many perceive geeky as effeminate.

Perception that photographers are introverts.

I certainly don't agree with the OP's boss, or anything I just posted, but I can step back and see how people can see that about photographers. FWIW...

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Somebloke
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 15, 2013 21:50 |  #36

Tell me these guys dont get allllllll the ladies!! How could it not be cool is the question!!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

IMAGE: http://frontierintothewild.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/300_photographer_vest_jeff_wignall.jpg

IMAGE: http://crev.vo.llnwd.net/o42/photographyreview/images/products/product_84920.jpg

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 15, 2013 21:51 |  #37

KirkS518 wrote in post #16530456 (external link)

That's the reason. I'm not talking about actual Playboy photographers, but the cartoons in the old Playboys that had kind of dorky representations of photographers.

Felix Unger. From 1970-74, he was the only face of photography America got to see weekly. He (Felix Unger, not Tony Randall) wasn't the manliest of men. A Commercial Photographer - Portraits a Specialty! (If anyone happens to know what camera he used to shoot the little people family, I'd love to know).

The fact that photography is a form of art. Artists are typically perceived as either weird or effeminate.

We look pretty geeky walking around with cameras swinging from our necks, and gadget bags/backpacks/slingba​gs strapped to our bodies. Many perceive geeky as effeminate.

I certainly don't agree with the OP's boss, or anything I just posted, but I can step back and see how people can see that about photographers. FWIW...

Good point of view. I can certainly agree with that.

I dislike the attention but I love that shot more. So, if it's the white lens I have to carry, I would. However I'm more worried about the "evil" attention more than anything else.

Fitness ­ Freak
841 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 15, 2013 21:55 |  #38

=]KirkS518;16530456

Hey, speak for yourself. I look freakin' awesome walking around with my 70-200 2.8 II attached to my camera hanging from my BlackRapid. Now if only I didn't have to carry concealed so that I could wear this, then no one would dare say I might look "geeky". :-P (My preferred "photographer's vest") http://www.amazon.com …1&keywords=tact​ical+vests (external link)

FYI: "Fitness Freak" is also known as "Amber" outside of POTN.
http://fineartamerica.​com/profiles/1-amber-kresge.html (external link)

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 15, 2013 22:01 |  #39

Fitness Freak wrote in post #16530436 (external link)
Well, I'm definitely an extrovert. I really have no desire to ever be the center of attention, but being noticed doesn't make me uncomfortable either. If I saw you hanging out somewhere with a prime lens or especially a big white one (just because it's more obvious) on your camera, I'm definitely the type that would walk over to you and start chatting about photography. I'm just outgoing like that but I also don't really care about other peoples' opinions of me. By the end of our chat though..we'd be friends. :D

And I would be glad you stopped to chat. Happens often enough if I happen to have my big white lens out in public....which isn't all that often as I bought it mostly for hanging out in wild places to photograph birds.

When I take it to air-shows or sailing regattas, though, I pick up the odd interested person, and I have never had anything but good vibes from them. But then again, I am over 6 feet and have, I am told, a rugged but pleasant enough demeanour. :D

Growing old disgracefully!

Somebloke
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 15, 2013 22:01 |  #40

KirkS518 wrote in post #16530456 (external link)

very good points!

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 15, 2013 22:10 |  #41

I love diving with sharks, skiing off cliffs, doing triathlons, and taking pictures of flowers. I don't take offense when people are using the PnS in full auto mode because they are capturing moments. They shouldn't take offense at me lining up just the right composition of a columbine, or a squid, or a tarpon. The only one that loses patience is my dive buddy wife.

Peoples opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one. Do what you enjoy and do it as well as you can.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 15, 2013 22:18 |  #42

I can't believe in 2013 calling someone or something gay is still considered an insult.

Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 15, 2013 22:25 |  #43

Some people look look down upon it because some photographers give it a bad name.

But wait until the holiday season comes when all those stupid people want to get their pictures taken.

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 15, 2013 22:44 |  #44

This is the funniest thread in a while :)

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
8,517 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 15, 2013 23:03 |  #45

The photographer who seems to give photographers a bad name is the person who is taking too many photographs when they should be just enjoying themselves. In the old days, there always was that old aunt with the Brownie who took everyone's photo at the family reunion. Yes, everyone was glad she took everyone else's photo but didn't like her taking "his/hers" photo at an inopportune time.

Everyone seems to love having a photographer there when appropriate. I love shooting BMX races and have shot sports photos even when I didn't even know those involved. At these events the guy who takes hundreds of photos of everyone including the ones the pros don't get because they aren't up front is a great guy.

It is only when you are the guy getting the real candid shots when everyone just wants to relax and be their self that the "photography nut" is not appreciated. Take some shots at the start or the end of the get together, that is fine. But don't make a nuisance of yourself the whole night. Those are the "photographers" that make the rest of us look bad.

Philip

sponsored links

22,673 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is photography not cool?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.