Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 19:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is photography not cool?

NManuel01
756 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 15, 2013 23:24 |  #46

I was shooting a corporate holiday party last night and two amazingly gorgoues ladies told me I was awesome for taking their pics. On top of that I was approached by a lovely young lady who stunned me when she started talking about her photography business! So no your boss is lame!

6D, 70-200 MKii F2.8, Tamron 24-70mm, Canon 40mm
Eos M, 18-55mm, 20mm
Alienbee 800, Canon 430exii, Canon 90ex

sponsored links
Mackeral
524 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 15, 2013 23:31 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

Nogo wrote in post #16530603 (external link)
The photographer who seems to give photographers a bad name is the person who is taking too many photographs when they should be just enjoying themselves. In the old days, there always was that old aunt with the Brownie who took everyone's photo at the family reunion. Yes, everyone was glad she took everyone else's photo but didn't like her taking "his/hers" photo at an inopportune time.

Everyone seems to love having a photographer there when appropriate. I love shooting BMX races and have shot sports photos even when I didn't even know those involved. At these events the guy who takes hundreds of photos of everyone including the ones the pros don't get because they aren't up front is a great guy.

It is only when you are the guy getting the real candid shots when everyone just wants to relax and be their self that the "photography nut" is not appreciated. Take some shots at the start or the end of the get together, that is fine. But don't make a nuisance of yourself the whole night. Those are the "photographers" that make the rest of us look bad.

nah

"Complete quietness surrounded me as the dense fog smothered all sounds. As the sun rose, lifting the fog to reveal this majestic mountain, all my thoughts of the daily hustle and bustle were put away, allowing me to sit in solitude with nature."
-Utter Bull

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 15, 2013 23:42 |  #48
bannedPermanently

s.l.k wrote in post #16530192 (external link)
People are entitled to their opinions, but doesn't make them right.

^^

I had this a bit too, until they saw my images, and after that I took their money every holiday. They thought it was funny or something. Yeah I was laughing, all the way to the bank.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 15, 2013 23:45 |  #49

My boss gives me grief about enjoying photography because he thinks its 'gay', I have friends who think its a bit of a 'wanky' hobby and I have met people who have a impression that photographers are...well how do I put it...douche bags...

Don't worry about it. Once they all grow up and get out of highschool it'll be completely different. lol

But... it's not your typical alpha male hobby. You capture someone else's moment, not your own. It's solitary (mostly). It's non competitive and subjective. In pop media you only see photographers as dorks, stalkers or playboys who shoot supermodels.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 15, 2013 23:49 |  #50

Somebloke wrote in post #16530184 (external link)
My boss gives me grief about enjoying photography because he thinks its 'gay', I have friends who think its a bit of a 'wanky' hobby and I have met people who have a impression that photographers are...well how do I put it...douche bags...

Anyone else have these types of experiances?? Why is photography not considered cool? Basically its gotten to the point where I almost keep it a secret....

This weak premise has been proven incorrect by an estimate from the International Telecommunications Union of 4.6 billion camera phones in use. In the 21st century, everyone is a photographer and with those ubiquitous camera phones, the hobby is more popular than in the 1960's when it expanded with the sale of the groundbreaking Kodak Instamatic (external link).

You need a new boss.

BigSkyKen
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 16, 2013 00:01 |  #51

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16530665 (external link)
You capture someone else's moment, not your own. It's solitary (mostly). It's non competitive and subjective. In pop media you only see photographers as dorks, stalkers or playboys who shoot supermodels.

I beg to differ. The moments I capture are things I've experienced and wish to memorialize for my use. This can be a solitary, but can also be something done in small or large groups.

Non-competitive? Are you kidding me? How many photo contests are out there? How many people are relentlessly shooting in hopes of getting an image in SI or Nat Geo?

Pop media...or any mainstream media for that matter, shouldn't be any reasonable person's barometer of what is or isn't "cool" or acceptable.

BigSkyKen
Wildlife & Nature Blog @ His Creation (external link)

Freddy ­ Flash
301 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 16, 2013 00:03 |  #52

Bah, everyone knows you have to have those big white lenses to get laid. I mean paid. Or something

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/nicholasgraf/ (external link)

Somebloke
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 16, 2013 00:05 |  #53

BigSkyKen wrote in post #16530693 (external link)
Pop media...or any mainstream media for that matter, shouldn't be any reasonable person's barometer of what is or isn't "cool" or acceptable.

This much is true....Kanye West, Miely Cyrus and the Kardashians....I rest my case.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 16, 2013 00:13 |  #54

BigSkyKen wrote in post #16530693 (external link)
I beg to differ. The moments I capture are things I've experienced and wish to memorialize for my use. This can be a solitary, but can also be something done in small or large groups.

I'm saying how it usually is. The most popular galleries on the hosting sites usually have glamour and nude in them, or some sort of novel action and subject matter. It's not just cool composition.

Non-competitive? Are you kidding me? How many photo contests are out there? How many people are relentlessly shooting in hopes of getting an image in SI or Nat Geo?

And how many don't get in the SI/NG and console themselves with any of
- art is subjective
- my genre is different
- I shoot for myself... etc

Life imitates art.

People love images. It's enough to keep their attention for extra 1/4 of a second on an ad. But they really don't care about who captured it.

Ask somebody who Ansel, Weston or Hatchwey is and they'll give you a blank stare.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 16, 2013 00:16 |  #55

Somebloke wrote in post #16530184 (external link)

Anyone else have these types of experiances?? Why is photography not considered cool? Basically its gotten to the point where I almost keep it a secret....

We're in the A/V club.

'Nuff said.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 16, 2013 00:18 |  #56

Preeb wrote in post #16530254 (external link)
Guys who have such a limited world view aren't really worth wasting time worrying about. Is it somehow more manly to waste your money and life with your head stuck under a car?

Yes, it is. I got hit on a lot by female employees when I went to Lowe's covered in grease and oil.

Never when I went in clean.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 16, 2013 00:23 |  #57

Fitness Freak wrote in post #16530335 (external link)
Your boss is clueless. As a woman, I can honestly say that there's not much sexier than a man with red-ringed lens on his camera. ;-)a

But you're an equally nerdy A/V club member so you don't count.

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 16, 2013 00:27 |  #58

Well, the big white lenses do make the models want to pose for me....and I assure you, it isn't me. :-)

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 16, 2013 00:33 |  #59

Next time some guy tries to say your hobby is "gay", just bring up how you get to take pictures of pretty girls all the time and maybe mention how much fun it is to shoot boudoir. He will change his tune :P.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 16, 2013 00:38 |  #60

Ratjack wrote in post #16530742 (external link)
Next time some guy tries to say your hobby is "gay", just bring up how you get to take pictures of pretty girls all the time and maybe mention how much fun it is to shoot boudoir. He will change his tune :P.

Thinking that taking some hot girl's photo is the epitome of awesome only serves to highlight how nerdy photographers are.

The real conquering manly man beds them.

sponsored links

23,099 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is photography not cool?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.