Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 07 Dec 2013 (Saturday) 21:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash question with telephoto

res
895 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 07, 2013 21:07 |  #1

I am getting set up to shoot flash for fill with my 500mm. I will be using a 550ex flash for now. I made a flash bracket just fine but I need some information for the final dimensions. I am curious how far off the center axis of the lens the head of the flash needs to be to eliminate the red eye / steel eye situation. The commercial brackets do not seem to have much adjustment to them but it seems to me the farther the subject the higher the flash needs to be. I know the flash will only work to a certain distance but just curious if making my flash height adjustable is really needed or if a fixed height serves well enough. I will be using a Better Beamer if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help and thoughts.

sponsored links
jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 11, 2013 21:15 |  #2

Good question.
I wish I could help but I can say I'm interested in the answer.

My Flickr (external link)

res
THREAD ­ STARTER
895 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 12, 2013 08:38 as a reply to  @ jhayesvw's post |  #3

I may have to post in the bird section. :lol: A flash bracket is so simple and I have nothing against those who buy them but it just seems that so many of the brackets barely get the flash off the same axis camera mounted flash. By moving the flash forward it eliminates the flash casting shadows but I was just curious as to the flash height issue for red / steel eye. There has to be a few people with experience.

Meanderthal
532 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 13, 2013 09:16 |  #4

Try also searching Better Beamer in the Canon 100-400 lens sample archive:
https://photography-on-the.net …=373778&highlig​ht=100-400

http://spitzhaven.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)Photo gallery (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,081 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2013 12:30 |  #5

Here are some images of my home made flash bracket. Mine is intended to be used with a Wimberley 2 head or similar (any head that has a vertical arca compatible dovetail) and can be adjusted vertically. Please excuse the dodgy drawing but it should be sufficient for you to build one.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,081 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2013 12:32 |  #6

A few more:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,081 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2013 12:35 |  #7

Finally:
Oh yes the "Better Beamer" is home made too. It doesn't concentrate the flash as well as the BB but it is more than good enough for fill in flash and I made 2 for 8GBP.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

res
THREAD ­ STARTER
895 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 13, 2013 16:42 as a reply to  @ johnf3f's post |  #8

johnf3f,
Thanks for the pictures and the diagram. My bracket looks about the same. I know this is not a set answer question but for the most part, how far can you throw the flash as a fill? Have you noticed any red or steal eye from your set up? Just curious. I am trying to see if making an adjustable height bracket would provide benefit or just a more complicated system since once basic height does the job. Thanks for taking the time. Much appreciated.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,081 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2013 17:01 |  #9

res wrote in post #16525213 (external link)
johnf3f,
Thanks for the pictures and the diagram. My bracket looks about the same. I know this is not a set answer question but for the most part, how far can you throw the flash as a fill? Have you noticed any red or steal eye from your set up? Just curious. I am trying to see if making an adjustable height bracket would provide benefit or just a more complicated system since once basic height does the job. Thanks for taking the time. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately I cannot give you any useful information as when I completed my bracket and beamer my flash died! My Canon Flash was a few years old but virtually unused, perhaps 100 cycles, so naturally as soon as I found a use for it the tube went!
I forgot to mention that if you mount the QR clamp so that it can be rotated then it can be secured to the QR plate on the lens foot and used horizontally, which should be better for hide use.

bhowdy
692 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 14, 2013 07:53 |  #10

I may be able to help here .... I use a flash quite a bit with my Canon 500mm lens. Personal opinion is that it must be at least 6" to the right or left of the center axis of the lens to avoid problems with the subjects eyes. I have never had good luck with the flash directly over the lens. I use a Wimberley telephoto flash bracket with excellent results. The photo below was taken using a Canon 500mm lens. Black bears in trees against a blue sky can be a difficult metering problem for a dslr the flash is a huge aid!

IMAGE: http://www.bobhowdeshell.com/img/s8/v83/p1389448920-5.jpg

Bob
East Tennessee, USA

My Full Gear List - My Photo Galleries (external link)

res
THREAD ­ STARTER
895 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 14, 2013 21:02 as a reply to  @ bhowdy's post |  #11

Bhowdy,
Thanks a ton for that information. I will definitely give that a try. The bracket I have made has plenty of room to mount it off center like you suggest. Thanks so much for the help. Are you using an extender or straight flash??

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,081 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 15, 2013 18:22 |  #12

That's handy to know - thanks bhowdy.
Good thing I made my bracket so that it could be used vertically or horizontally, now saving for a new Flash!

bhowdy
692 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 16, 2013 11:04 |  #13

I use a 580ex flash with a Better beamer

Bob
East Tennessee, USA

My Full Gear List - My Photo Galleries (external link)

agl99
156 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 21, 2014 01:43 as a reply to  @ bhowdy's post |  #14

Your bracket should work...it works with people. ..., you might need to double check that the lens hood doesn't cast a shadow in front of the flash.

sponsored links

3,748 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash question with telephoto
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.