Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Nov 2013 (Tuesday) 18:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3 vs 6D at Weddings

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,432 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 16, 2013 14:46 |  #241

Bakewell wrote in post #16532135 (external link)
This thread is not asking about which is the superior overall camera. Back to the main question.

This was the OP's original post. Please show me where the 5D3 outperforms any of these requirements. Thanks...

And you know why OP is center AF point only coz till 5dmk3 almost all FF cameras (even 1 series) have crappy outer AF points.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 16, 2013 14:56 |  #242
bannedPermanent ban

bobbyz wrote in post #16532149 (external link)
And you know why OP is center AF point only coz till 5dmk3 almost all FF cameras (even 1 series) have crappy outer AF points.

I have full faith in all my focus points on D700.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,951 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 16, 2013 15:46 |  #243

bobbyz wrote in post #16532149 (external link)

No more quoting those replies, I was doing well not seeing his replies! :) :lol:

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 16, 2013 16:03 |  #244
bannedPermanent ban

flowrider wrote in post #16531881 (external link)
LIke I've said I've shot wedding 20 years ago using film and fully manual. 5D3 will be better because of the AF (less missed shots and better framing, less cropping)and I know that from shooting weddings using manual AF.

Not trying to be snide but PM me a link to your work because I'd genuinely like to see it. No judgements but I'd like to see where you're coming from.

I participate in this forum to share and acquire knowledge, not to impress or be impressed. I have contributed a few pics in various threads. My private pics are just that…private and to be shared with a select few. Not sure I understand today’s philosophy of sharing everything with everyone.

My personal weaknesses’ are new cars and 35mm slr/dslr’s. I won’t bore everyone with a list of cameras but let’s just say it all started with a Pentax Half Frame shooting 72 b&w shots per 36 exposure roll while having fun in Vietnam. By the end of my tour of duty I had moved on to more complex 35’s.

I don’t shoot perfect pics but I do understand 35mm photography. Forty five years’
experience helps... with even a few weddings in the mix!

Now where were we?

Dave

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,432 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 16, 2013 16:09 |  #245

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #16532191 (external link)
I have full faith in all my focus points on D700.

I thought this was canon forums, so no Nikons.:)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 16, 2013 18:31 |  #246

bobbyz wrote in post #16532379 (external link)
I thought this was canon forums, so no Nikons.:)

You're not one of the lucky ones to be invited to AMASS. ;)This forum will eventually not be fanboy oriented. ;)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,432 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 16, 2013 20:28 |  #247

jdizzle wrote in post #16532730 (external link)
You're not one of the lucky ones to be invited to AMASS. ;)This forum will eventually not be fanboy oriented. ;)

Till then.:)

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 17, 2013 01:58 |  #248

Bakewell wrote in post #16532364 (external link)
I participate in this forum to share and acquire knowledge, not to impress or be impressed. I have contributed a few pics in various threads. My private pics are just that…private and to be shared with a select few. Not sure I understand today’s philosophy of sharing everything with everyone.

My personal weaknesses’ are new cars and 35mm slr/dslr’s. I won’t bore everyone with a list of cameras but let’s just say it all started with a Pentax Half Frame shooting 72 b&w shots per 36 exposure roll while having fun in Vietnam. By the end of my tour of duty I had moved on to more complex 35’s.

I don’t shoot perfect pics but I do understand 35mm photography. Forty five years’
experience helps... with even a few weddings in the mix!

Now where were we?

I am impressed ;-)a

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,653 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 17, 2013 08:23 |  #249

Bakewell wrote in post #16532364 (external link)
...it all started with a Pentax Half Frame shooting 72 b&w shots per 36 exposure roll while having fun in Vietnam. By the end of my tour of duty I had moved on to more complex 35’s.

I don’t shoot perfect pics but I do understand 35mm photography. Forty five years’ experience helps... with even a few weddings in the mix!

Now where were we?

Wow! You started with a crop back in the film days...:rolleyes: Man you must be weird!...:lol: Just kidding...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 17, 2013 08:47 |  #250
bannedPermanent ban

Nick_Reading.UK wrote in post #16533621 (external link)
I am impressed ;-)a

Teach an old dog new tricks...I can be swayed!
I new you would be... Just a point of reference.

Dave

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 17, 2013 08:52 |  #251

Great question and answers.

I don't know if I'll ever shoot a wedding (I'd be happy to for family or very close friends...no charge...free meal). Wedding photography is the big leagues, in my opinion.

Also, I shoot center point and recompose. Obviously this works better with a little distance between camera and subject, as you can lose focus on your subject (if the subject is on the same plane as the initial focal point then it doesn't matter. Closeups are very difficult for keeping on plane).

Since I don't shoot weddings or sports, a 6d is good.

But the OP shoots weddings. If that's the case, and if you can find the extra money, then why not get what works best? In other words, are there any advantages the 6D possesses over the 5D3 other than price?

Sony A7 III and some lenses

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,951 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 17, 2013 09:18 |  #252

EOS-Mike wrote in post #16534032 (external link)
Great question and answers.

I don't know if I'll ever shoot a wedding (I'd be happy to for family or very close friends...no charge...free meal). Wedding photography is the big leagues, in my opinion.

Also, I shoot center point and recompose. Obviously this works better with a little distance between camera and subject, as you can lose focus on your subject (if the subject is on the same plane as the initial focal point then it doesn't matter. Closeups are very difficult for keeping on plane).

Since I don't shoot weddings or sports, a 6d is good.

But the OP shoots weddings. If that's the case, and if you can find the extra money, then why not get what works best? In other words, are there any advantages the 6D possesses over the 5D3 other than price?

You gain these, however much an advantage those might be to various individuals.

Smaller and lighter
1/3 ISO performance better
Less expensive
Wi-Fi
GPS

You lose the following:

1D style AF layout and performance
1/8000th shutter speed (basically an embedded 1 stop ND filter when shooting ISO 100 with fast primes)
100% viewfinder
joystick vs dial
dual card slots
1 custom settings dial setting
build longevity (shutter mtbf of 100K vs 150K)
weather resistance
a little bit of resolution (20 vs 22)
lower moire effects during video recording

Again the values of these are subjective, and might be worth the extra price, or not.

Here is a comparison page between the function and features of the 6D vs 5D3
http://www.digitalrev.​com …-vs-5d-mark/NTczODM1ODc_A (external link)

External views on the subject:
http://www.canonrumors​.com/forum/index.php?t​opic=15146.0 (external link)
http://coryparris.com …onal-photographer-review/ (external link) (he still chooses one over the other here (external link))
http://neilvn.com …sion/797/5d-markiii-or-6d (external link)

If I were undecided, I would always place practical experience over casual experience or random opinion (which I gave plenty of!). ;)

It's kinda like when I go to the track with my camaro, and somebody in the stands says, "hey you should run some of this 120 octane in that car, it would scream, don't you listen to all the ads? I run that in my car and it runs great when I get groceries". The guy in the staging lane next to me, having the actual experience, tells me that unless I have advanced the timing for that kind of octane, the high octane will kill my performance. Guess who I listened to, and what the actual results proved out? I learned a valuable lesson that day. :D

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 17, 2013 13:07 |  #253
bannedPermanent ban

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16534084 (external link)
You gain these, however much an advantage those might be to various individuals.

Smaller and lighter
1/3 ISO performance better
Less expensive
Wi-Fi
GPS
Autofocus sensitivity to -3 EV (the 5D Mark III is -2 EV)
Interchangeable focusing screens

You lose the following, however much an advantage those might be to various individuals.

1D style AF layout and performance
1/8000th shutter speed (basically an embedded 1 stop ND filter when shooting ISO 100 with fast primes)
100% viewfinder
joystick vs dial
dual card slots
1 custom settings dial setting
build longevity (shutter mtbf of 100K vs 150K)(neither guaranteed)
weather resistance (6D is also weather resistant)
a little bit of resolution (20 vs 22)
lower moire effects during video recording
superior HDR performance
3.2" rear LCD (vs. 3" on 6D)

Again the values of these are subjective, and might be worth the extra price, or not.

Here is a comparison page between the function and features of the 6D vs 5D3
http://www.digitalrev.​com …-vs-5d-mark/NTczODM1ODc_A (external link)

External views on the subject:
http://www.canonrumors​.com/forum/index.php?t​opic=15146.0 (external link)
http://coryparris.com …onal-photographer-review/ (external link) (he still chooses one over the other here (external link))
http://neilvn.com …sion/797/5d-markiii-or-6d (external link)

If I were undecided, I would always place practical experience over casual experience or random opinion (which I gave plenty of!). ;)

It's kinda like when I go to the track with my camaro, and somebody in the stands says, "hey you should run some of this 120 octane in that car, it would scream, don't you listen to all the ads? I run that in my car and it runs great when I get groceries". The guy in the staging lane next to me, having the actual experience, tells me that unless I have advanced the timing for that kind of octane, the high octane will kill my performance. Guess who I listened to, and what the actual results proved out? I learned a valuable lesson that day. :D

Pretty good list. Just a couple of relevant additions/corrections in red.

Dave

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,432 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 17, 2013 13:14 |  #254

Low light performance I have used both to say that I can AF at ISO25600, f1.4, 1/30. And pictures suxx at those levels IMHO. So who cares -3EV vs -2EV. With 5dmk3 all cross points almost as good as center. With 6d, just center. That is why it costs less. Both nice based on what you shoot. Biggest difference is money and AF. Period. I thought 1/8000 vs 1/4000 will be an issue and so far not but then I don't shoot portraits in direct sun at f1.4.

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 17, 2013 16:11 |  #255

umphotography wrote in post #16429444 (external link)
I have always used 1D series camera bodies with dual cards when I photograph weddings. Main reason was dual card capabilities. You are being hired as a professional to make sure you capture images and dont screw things up. Clients expect professionals to deliver the goods.

If you are shooting with a single card camera and the card fails, you risk reputation, and a financial lawsuit because you failed to take responsible actions to prevent possible file loss to a bad card. Like I said...It happens and happens more frequently than you would think.

All it takes is one time or a partial card failure to get your A$$ sued off.

I have seen it. Furthermore, I know judges that are into photography that are aware of the dual card prevention as well. When I asked the question, I got my answers. Judges know very well that newer technologies will minimize the risk if file loss when you record to both cards.

Now,,I know a lot of you think that what I am saying is ridiculous. But I do in fact know people that have been sued big time for this. Its not worth it if you have any type of successful business to take this risk. Our business does 90K plus every year. There is No way would i risk getting sued to a single card camera. When we were building this business i would not risk it either.

Not only do you risk a major financial setback( try having a 20K judgement against you ) more importantly, you risk major damage to your reputation if you loose a major portion of a wedding to a bad card.

I stand by my statement.......Its stupid and Irresponsible to take this risk. Especially when you look at the costs to upgrade from a 6D to a 5D3........But If you are willing to risk it all for less than a $1000.00 investment and shoot with a single card camera and photograph weddings.....Go for it....Just dont say that you have not been warned in advance.

I would not consider to photograph the most important day in someones life unless I knew I could deliver the results. I have never lost a single file because my cameras record to both cards at the same time. I have had a corrupt CF card and lost several files but the SD card had them on it so I had it covered. As mentioned, I know many that have not and they have had to pay big money to get the files recovered and some could not get all the files back. Ask someone who has been through this the same question. I have. The answer is what i am telling you before it happens.

So before you spout off that its a ridiculous statement on my part. I can tell you that I speak from experience and the misfortune of others who have had to fork over a lot of $$$ that they didnt need to do.....Its not worth the risk to your business nor to your clients very important day.

Again, i stand by my statement. While the 6D can be used to capture nice images, for professional work like a wedding... It doesnt cut it because of the single card system.

As for the 1Dx v/s 5D3 comparison, I have shot both bodes side by side at 2 weddings and do not feel that the 1Dx offers any significant gains over a 5D3 for wedding work. There is a slight improvement in ISO and some other AF system features that would come in handy but a 1/2 stop IsO improvement was not worth the price difference to me so i grabbed 2 5D3's instead. I know what the 1Dx is capable of and dont need those capabilities for our wedding workflow needs.

Well said.

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

sponsored links

33,243 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D3 vs 6D at Weddings
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.