Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Dec 2013 (Monday) 12:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who changed my RAW setting? 1D Mk IV

BigSkyKen
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 16, 2013 12:32 |  #1

OK, I know this is going to sound like a really stupid question, but I've got to find out if this has happened to others. I purchased my gently used 1D Mk IV early last March. I set the file type to RAW only (the big one), as I don't have any use for the sRAW or mRAW files. So I did a fair amount of shooting since then, but recently came to the realization that my files were not as large as they should be...upon closer inspection I see that I've seen shooting sRAW since early April.

No one else uses my equipment, so if this didn't happen on its own, I had to do it. But there would be absolutely no reason for me to make that change, so it would have been an error on my part. I guess I really am hoping that I screwed up, because the thought of having to check the file format every time I shoot would be aggravating if my camera has a mind of it own!

BigSkyKen
Wildlife & Nature Blog @ His Creation (external link)

sponsored links
M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,561 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 16, 2013 12:46 |  #2

I don't own a Mk IV (yet), but on my other bodies I've accidentally changed that setting in Q mode. Does the Mk IV have a Q mode for settings?

Mark J.
Gear

Sgt.Ed
271 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 16, 2013 13:01 as a reply to  @ M_Six's post |  #3

Just a thought as this has not happened to me. When you did your initial set up of the camera it is possible that you moved the selection box to RAW but did not push the "set" button to actually make the selection. The camera would retain the previous setting and you would have thought it had been changed.
Ed

Ed
GEAR40D, 1D MKIV, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L, 500 f4.0L, Canon 1.4 teleconverter, 580 EXII Speedlite, Gitzo GT 3530LS, Wimberly WH-200, 190X PROB Manfrotto tripod and a bunch of other stuff
MYFlickr (external link)

BigSkyKen
THREAD ­ STARTER
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 16, 2013 13:18 |  #4

Sgt.Ed wrote in post #16531874 (external link)
Just a thought as this has not happened to me. When you did your initial set up of the camera it is possible that you moved the selection box to RAW but did not push the "set" button to actually make the selection. The camera would retain the previous setting and you would have thought it had been changed.
Ed

Ed, I set up the camera in early March, and it looks like every image for nearly 30 days was the large RAW file, so I must have pushed the 'set' button. I know what you mean though, because I've failed (on numerous occasions) to push 'set' when changing settings for AEB! Something changed after I owned it for about a month, and every image afterwards is sRAW.

BigSkyKen

BigSkyKen
THREAD ­ STARTER
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 16, 2013 13:22 |  #5

M_Six wrote in post #16531821 (external link)
I don't own a Mk IV (yet), but on my other bodies I've accidentally changed that setting in Q mode. Does the Mk IV have a Q mode for settings?

Nope, no Q mode. But the file type can be changed from the 'FUNC' button under the lower info window on back of the camera. Would have had to push that button, then roll the rear dial 4 places clockwise to make the change. I can see where I may have unknowingly pressed the FUNC button prior to rolling the dial for some other purpose...not saying that is what happened, but sure could have happened.

BigSkyKen

Snowyman
Goldmember
3,964 posts
Gallery: 430 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 16, 2013 13:32 |  #6

C.Fn IV -4 – Assign SET button

In the default configuration, the SET button has no function. However, you can assign functions to the SET button to make them quicker or easier to access. There is a choice from seven settings that can be applied. If you apply one of the settings, pressing the SET button will bring up the setting screen on the rear LCD panel.

0: Normal (disabled)
1: White Balance
2: Image Size _______________Anything but this!
3: ISO Speed
4: Picture Style
5: Record func + media/folder
6: Menu display
7: Image playback

Wasteful use of a perfectly good button!

Snowy's Gear
Deviant Art (external link)
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

Alan ­ B
Goldmember
2,794 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 16, 2013 13:40 as a reply to  @ Snowyman's post |  #7

From RAW it takes 10 clicks left or right on the control wheel to get to sRAW(just tried it on mine lol).

Weird situation ?

BigSkyKen
THREAD ­ STARTER
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 16, 2013 14:08 |  #8

Snowyman wrote in post #16531961 (external link)
C.Fn IV -4 – Assign SET button

Thanks Snowy. I checked and it is set to 0 - Disable

BigSkyKen

BigSkyKen
THREAD ­ STARTER
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 16, 2013 14:09 |  #9

Alan B wrote in post #16531983 (external link)
From RAW it takes 10 clicks left or right on the control wheel to get to sRAW(just tried it on mine lol).

Weird situation ?

You're correct. 4 clicks get me to Small jpeg plus RAW. 10 clicks gets to sRAW...making this a less plausible occurrence.

BigSkyKen

Alan ­ B
Goldmember
2,794 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 16, 2013 14:21 as a reply to  @ BigSkyKen's post |  #10

Was your 1DMkIV brand new or was it second hand ?.

The only thing I can think of is you can register 9 basic settings so you can quickly revert back to them ie

- Shooting Mode
- White Balance
- Drive Mode
- Metering Mode
- AF Mode
- AF Point
- Color Space
- Image Size
- Picture Style

These can be changed simultaneously with a single operation.

Worth a check ?

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 16, 2013 14:59 |  #11

Registered settings surely sounds like a plausible cause. I inadvertently applied basic settings while registering once and went out shooting birds for 2 days before I noticed I was set to jpeg instead of RAW.

BigSkyKen
THREAD ­ STARTER
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 16, 2013 15:33 as a reply to  @ lovemyram4x4's post |  #12

It was used when I got it, and it looks like Set 1 has some custom functions registered, but I can't figure out how to determine what those setting are. Will have to study the book to get much further on this. Thanks for the idea guys.

BigSkyKen

El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 19, 2013 13:45 |  #13

One of the four buttons above the small lower screen can be used to change image size. I'd say this would be more likely to have been accidentally pressed rather than being switched in menu.

Alan ­ B
Goldmember
2,794 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 19, 2013 13:50 |  #14

El Pedro wrote in post #16540258 (external link)
One of the four buttons above the small lower screen can be used to change image size. I'd say this would be more likely to have been accidentally pressed rather than being switched in menu.

Even when pressing that button on the back, you still have to turn the control wheel left or right 10 clicks to get from RAW to sRAW.

I still think it was what I said! ?.

Wonder if he ever found out what is was ?

BigSkyKen
THREAD ­ STARTER
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 19, 2013 16:24 |  #15

No, I haven't figured out how to see what is registered. Thinking of setting all to default and starting over. The darn manual isn't the best guide for things like this.

BigSkyKen

sponsored links

1,969 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who changed my RAW setting? 1D Mk IV
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.